What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Lower cowl heating up

Flash

Well Known Member
A friend has an RV7 with a Superior IO-360 with vertical induction and Vetterman exhaust 4-2. Where his cowl comes close to the exhaust his cowl gets extremely hot(as in you almost can't touch the outside of the cowl) We've tried heat shield, and exhaust wrap to help reduce the heat. Any advise is greatly appreciated.

Merry Christmas!
Flash

not much

Not really much more you can do - I had the same near the cowl exit, and added some heat shield as shown.

IMG_2702-1-768x1024.jpeg

I noticed that the heat was concentrated near the intersection of the two pipes, so I made sure the shield was covering that area. Here are some more photos of how I did it.

http://www.rv8.ch/heat-shield-home-made/

Reflector over an insulator. This is Van's HD self-stick foil over fiberfrax felt. The self-stick adheres very well to a clean painted surface. Just shadow the hot pipe.

Attachments

• Cowl Insulation1.jpg
    Cowl Insulation1.jpg
    220 KB · Views: 193
Mickey,
Please provide a few photos and detail the effectiveness of your exhaust deflectors.
Thanks

Not really much more you can do - I had the same near the cowl exit, and added some heat shield as shown.

IMG_2702-1-768x1024.jpeg

I noticed that the heat was concentrated near the intersection of the two pipes, so I made sure the shield was covering that area. Here are some more photos of how I did it.

http://www.rv8.ch/heat-shield-home-made/

Mickey,
Thanks for the pics! We installed one on his that was a prefab. I will have to look to see it's exact location but I think it is over the area that the cowl was the hottest. Maybe a more heavy duty one is needed. You shield looks a bit beefier.
Cheers
Flash

Reflector over an insulator. This is Van's HD self-stick foil over fiberfrax felt. The self-stick adheres very well to a clean painted surface. Just shadow the hot pipe.

Dan thanks for the suggestion and pic. I know he has the self stick foil and I'm pretty sure it's over the felt but I will double check. His foil is actually discolored from the heat.
Cheers
Flash

Back