What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Skyview issues

Sibirsky

Well Known Member
i have a Dynon Skyview classic installed in my RV9A , first flight was in 2015, the total flight time of the machine and ll components is about 50 hours ,
after close to two years of it sitting in a hangar , waiting to finish the paint job ,
i finally started the engine and taxied around the airport yesterday for about 45 minutes , i did a condition inspection last week and everything checked out ok ,
now , when i started the engine yesterday , it took a couple of tries ( 6 or rvrn 7 times till it started ) i noticed the voltage going down to 11 volts , with an audible alarm ( Low Voltage )
i started taxiing then i noticed the sky view rebooting , it did it 4 time yesterday , in the first 30 minutes , then it was normal till shut down .
today , i went again to fix a loose comm wire , i decided to start and taxi again , same thing , the dynon was rebooting the while time , it would stay on for about 3 minutes then it abruptly shuts down and restarts , todays taxi was about 30 minutes total .
there was a box in the bottom that showed that some events have been recorded and need to be transferred to a USB and sent to dynon, i didn't have a USB with me today but i will certainly do it tomorrow .
Any ideas on what would be the reason for this ? or has anyone experienced something similar with their sky view ?
by the way i have a single Unit only .
thanks for your replies

Dynon

You need to talk to Dynon tech support tomorrow. They have always been very responsive to my questions.

i noticed the voltage going down to 11 volts , with an audible alarm ( Low Voltage )
thanks for your replies
Start trouble shooting here. Voltage should be 14 + volts. Could be a high resistance somewhere(circuit breaker, wiring, etc) but first I?d verify the alternator is on-line.

Start trouble shooting here. Voltage should be 14 + volts. Could be a high resistance somewhere(circuit breaker, wiring, etc) but first I?d verify the alternator is on-line.

+1

Sounds like there is something wrong with input power to the SkyView.

:cool:

Installing a Dynon backup battery may help troubleshoot. It would have the added benefit of keeping the Dynon powered up during start if the voltage drops. Then the logging will continue during your power issues also.

...but first I?d verify the alternator is on-line.
Been there - done that before the first flight too. :D

The first time I was doing a fuel cal. I forgot to turn the alternator on during the taxi to the bowser, coupled with a vac-pad alternator that is marginal on the ground at the best of times it wasn't one of my finer moments.

Cue a dead battery when I tried to get home from the bowser.

Thanks you all for your replies .
The Alternator is just fine , once the engine is running the voltage goes up to 14 ,
I also have a backup battery for the sky view , I will try and get that log loaded into a USB today and send it to Dynon .

I read that all this was after sitting 2 years? If so, the Dynon backup battery is discharged. During the start your main battery voltage drops to the point the Skyview reboots. Go into the Skyview setup and check the status of your backup battery. Probably shows low voltage before the engine start. If the battery is still good it may take a couple flying hours to recharge it fully.
Hope this is the only problem.

Good catch dlloyd3. I didn't notice it had been sitting for 2yrs so it makes total sense what you describe.

:cool:

I read that all this was after sitting 2 years? If so, the Dynon backup battery is discharged. During the start your main battery voltage drops to the point the Skyview reboots. Go into the Skyview setup and check the status of your backup battery. Probably shows low voltage before the engine start. If the battery is still good it may take a couple flying hours to recharge it fully.
Hope this is the only problem.

will do , thank you !

If the backup battery is charged, even intermittent power supply to Dynon should not shut it off. As said before, the backup battery only gets charged with higher voltage. My battery external charger doesn?t have voltage high enough to charge backup battery. It only charges in flight (for me).

Hope it gets resolved.

Forget about the backup battery (although one should be installed). The OP said it was continually rebooting *while the engine was running*, which it shouldn't be if the alternator is putting out enough juice. SV needs 10V to stay up, per Dynon. Seems that, if the wiring from Alt to Batt and all is correct, the system should be seeing way more than that, no?

Forget about the backup battery (although one should be installed). The OP said it was continually rebooting *while the engine was running*, which it shouldn't be if the alternator is putting out enough juice. SV needs 10V to stay up, per Dynon. Seems that, if the wiring from Alt to Batt and all is correct, the system should be seeing way more than that, no?

That is correct , the system was shutting down and rebooting while the engine was running , the voltage and electrical system seem to be functioning Ok ,
I am starting to think it is an issue with the sky view itself .

Bench test

Would it save time to remove the Dynon and bench test with another fully charged battery. Next thing, what is your ammeter showing? Could you attach a seperate ammeter across the shunt to see what is drawing current?
What is the bus voltage showing? It might also be useful to disconnect the backup battery. One more thing, do you have data on the alternator, ie. what is the output at various rpm's?

The Dynon should be left on for say an hour to fully check it.

Rebooting

make sure you have latest firmware installed
Make sure the backup battery is disconnected
Try it again-
Both were issues in previous firmwares that have since been resolved.
If it works fine reinstall battery.

Once the engine kicks in the alternator the backup battery is being charged for when voltage goes below 10v. So your symptoms aren’t battery.
However (go into SETUP) and see that battery charge isn’t going down quickly just for the fun of it. You can let it run a few minutes and it should go up or say “charging” on status

If the display reboots and you have the latest firmware- call support with diagnostic file ready to send to them.
Best of success with this

Hi there
Sorry I got busy with another issue ( radio not transmitting ) however , the sky view seems to work normally .
After reading @ReidVaitor comments , I proceeded to update the system ,
updated the nav database as well , flew about two and a half hours , everything seems to work normally , no rebooting , no glitches , no rex X's .
the only issue is an erroneous reading of the EGT on #3 which I think is a faulty probe .

Any updates on this from the OP? What was the solution?

I just encountered a similar problem after an extended downtime: about five seconds after engine start the Skyview EMS voltage measurement would drop below 9V and the display would shut down. This would happen every time (four tries over two days). After blaming the Odyssey, then the voltage regulator (false alarms), disconnecting reconnecting wires, pulling on the remaining hair, it turns out software update from 15.2 to 15.4 fixed it.

This is the first ever failure of my Dynon system in eight years. The upgrade to 15.2 was prompted by the need to download new transponder firmware for 2020; normally I don't touch what's not broken.

EDIT: FAKE NEWS! It was a sticking starter relay after all. Software upgrade was just a koinkidink, Skyview remains unblemished. I have a battery master switch that cuts starter power, so I was able to repeat the Odyssey stress test five times: you can't hear the runaway starter on the Jabiru...

Last edited:
Back