What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Flap Motor

Doug94

Well Known Member
A quick wiring questions....

The flap motor supplied by vans has a twisted pair of wires that come out of the motor about 12 inches long. Do I need to run a twisted pair all the way to my relay or can I just run just stright wires? Thanks

Doug

It's just a DC motor. No twist required.

True, but DC motors are electically noisy, (voltage is DC, the current isn't) and you'll have a better chance of it not generating interference if you twist the supply wires. You MAY be OK if you don't have any small-signal (audio, etc.) wires running parallel (physically) to them. For noisy circuits like this, try to avoid using the airframe for a return path as much as possible.

A little OT tip: Even on "clean" circuits like incandescent lighting, running a return wire along with the supply wire helps to cancel the magnetic field (generated anytime current flows in a conductor), and will lessen the likelyhood of interference with your compass or magnetometer.

True, but DC motors are electically noisy, (voltage is DC, the current isn't) and you'll have a better chance of it not generating interference if you twist the supply wires. You MAY be OK if you don't have any small-signal (audio, etc.) wires running parallel (physically) to them. For noisy circuits like this, try to avoid using the airframe for a return path as much as possible.

A little OT tip: Even on "clean" circuits like incandescent lighting, running a return wire along with the supply wire helps to cancel the magnetic field (generated anytime current flows in a conductor), and will lessen the likelyhood of interference with your compass or magnetometer.

I used Van's harness. Now your going to make me go back and look to see if there where twisted or not. ;)

Notice that I have yet to actually get a build to that point. Actual experience trumps theory any day!:D Not recalling any issues brought up here on VAF, I doubt there's much of one. ;)

Last edited:
I had a problem with magnetometer interference from my tail light wiring. Originally I had used local ground and the supply ran about 9" from the magnetometer. Turning on the nav lights caused a big heading swing on the Dynon.
I don't think lights are a noise source, but there is apparently a field generated by DC current flow. That was news to me.

On advice from this forum I ran a twisted pair to the tail light and grounded well away from the magnetometer.
Problem solved.

Last edited:
Back