What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Looking for someone with a Garmin GTR 200 installed in Texas

219PB

Well Known Member
I have a Garmin GTR 200 that recently started breaking squelch when my strobes are on. No other radio or component is exhibiting this issue.

Naturally I spent time physically checking the grounding from the Garmin and checked the resistance from the #20 ground pin connector in the panel shell to ground. It measures only 0.1 ohms.

If there is someone around and is willing, I would like to slide a different GTR 200 radio in my panel to see if the issue is with my radio itself before sending back to Garmin.

My plane is located in Victoria, TX (KVCT) and would be willing to fly to your aircraft. Hoping to find a willing party within about 200 NM.

The GTR200 has great sensitivity which is a good thing.
First thing I would do is check antenna coax is a properly installed RG400 and antenna is modern style that is properly grounded.
If all that is good then fix the strobes.

I do have a GTR available we could swap but I can almost guarantee that's not the issue.

I have a Garmin GTR 200 that recently started breaking squelch when my strobes are on. No other radio or component is exhibiting this issue.

Naturally I spent time physically checking the grounding from the Garmin and checked the resistance from the #20 ground pin connector in the panel shell to ground. It measures only 0.1 ohms.

If there is someone around and is willing, I would like to slide a different GTR 200 radio in my panel to see if the issue is with my radio itself before sending back to Garmin.

My plane is located in Victoria, TX (KVCT) and would be willing to fly to your aircraft. Hoping to find a willing party within about 200 NM.

Paul,

I also have a GTR200 if you want to swap. Mine is working perfectly right now, so we can slide yours into my AC as well.

First thing I would do is check antenna coax is a properly installed RG400 and antenna is modern style that is properly grounded.
If all that is good then fix the strobes.

I do have a GTR available we could swap but I can almost guarantee that's not the issue.

Walt,

Thanks for the reply. The aircraft was completed in Aug of 2019 with RG400 cabling following Garmin's cable length recommendations. A new Red Tail bent antenna was used and the paint was removed on the inside of the aircraft for a proper ground plane.

It has been working fine for a 1.5 years and just started having the issue. the strobes were new from Aveo Engineering and are not affecting any other components or the Dynon com.

Paul,

I also have a GTR200 if you want to swap. Mine is working perfectly right now, so we can slide yours into my AC as well.

Colin,

Will take you up on it. Will give you a shout to arrange a time where I can meet you at your airport.

Thanks,

Paul

I had a GTR-200 I installed in a Citabria have noise issues with a Tailbeacon. Running a ground wire to the fuselage from the Tailbeacon fixed the problem.

SNIP

While the GTR200 sensitivity is about the same as other comm choices, I note the GTR200 selectivity is, based on the one I flew with, less than optimal.

While I suspect this may not have anything to do with the OPs issue, builders should be aware.

Carl

I had a GTR-200 I installed in a Citabria have noise issues with a Tailbeacon. Running a ground wire to the fuselage from the Tailbeacon fixed the problem.

Bob, my three strobes ground wires come together between the seats, combined to a single ground wire, then run to my forest of tabs on the firewall. I have heard about issues such as this and wired the aircraft trying to prevent issues like this.

Bob, my three strobes ground wires come together between the seats, combined to a single ground wire, then run to my forest of tabs on the firewall. I have heard about issues such as this and wired the aircraft trying to prevent issues like this.

Try a local ground at the strobe box rather than running the ground all the way up front, it basically becomes an antenna at that point.

You can go into configuration mode and adjust the sensitivity.

I only saw the option to adjust the ICS squelch in the menu. Did not see any adjustments for the receiving squelch. Went through the manual yesterday. Did I miss something?

Try a local ground at the strobe box rather than running the ground all the way up front, it basically becomes an antenna at that point.

Walt, I agree, but why would not it have done that from the initial build? Have not made any changes to the wiring.

Just wanted to post an update. Walt was on the money. Found the culprit to be the RG400 connection to the back of the GTR200 tray. Took it loose, inspected and cleaned it. Problem went away.

If it comes back, I will look into replacing the connection.

Back