What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Fire Extinguisher

Doug94

Well Known Member
I just got a fire extinguisher for the RV8 after two years of flying and am curious where others have mounted theirs. Any recommendations?

I mounted mine on the right side below the switch panel; easy access but out of the way.

2qjhrfk.jpg

search other threads on fire ext......

Many others have commented on this; my addition is for your backseater......first alert tundra fire extinguisher spray.
$12 at most big box stores, I've got one in every vehicle and cooking area in the house.
I think simple is best, even with accidental discharge, this one will not cloud your vision, contaminate the air you breathe, or corrode stuff ( as far as I can surmise). cleanup easier.
Yours should be a B,C at minimum....I have a 1 lb within reach, and a 2 lb in the baggage area for engine fires while on ground.
Halon is likely superior in almost every case, but that's another discussion on it's own!

I mounted my halon extinguisher on the back of the front seat seatback. No interference with rear stick or passenger, but I can easily reach back with left hand to release and retrieve it

Under that right side canopy rail (front seat) is pretty unusable real estate. Good for mounting a 1-2 lb Halon or similar.

...nice touch....

Ron, I like your seat covers.....as I too have a little trouble with bladder control, especially at the bottom of a loop, after a long x-country, after 4 or 5 bottles of water! :p (leave 'em there if you ever take me up!)

Back