What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Do you have an airplane household?

scard

Well Known Member
Advertiser
So, I just went to the fridge to get a beer after a hard but satisfying work day... Pssstttt, gulp, all good. As I mozied into the other room I caught a glimpse behind the toaster oven on the counter to see that its cord was wrapped in proper aircraft spec firesleeve!! I'm not much of one to notice the unimportant details but hmmm. Apparently the logistics officer was concerned at some point about the radiant heat output with the power cord right there. This firesleeve has been on this cord for years based on the dust on it. Ok. My day just got better. I see on the APRS that she just landed from a little evening joy ride.

A few months ago, the axel on one of our garbage cans started popping out of its molded socket. I grabbed some aluminum and a bunch of pop rivets and added some straps across the axle to prevent it from popping out again.

I proudly pointed out how lucky a women my wife is to have a husband that is able to fix a $8 garbage can with $10+ of aircraft aluminum and hardware.

I once sold a 1981 Ford. Several years later a mechanic in another state called me and asked if I worked on airplanes.
The car came into his shop for a new engine.
He had looked me up after noticing that I had replaced a side mirror using AD rivets.

You fellas are lucky!

My step-daughter walked out into my shop (it's 200-yards from my house) after many months. I had just joined the tailcone to the forward fuselage, and set it on the gear. She said "OMG, you're building a real airplane"? Uh, yep, you should get out of the house more often......

The only aviation talk from the wife is when she's watching the news and hears about another unfortunate GA accident. Then I'm reminded she'll never fly with me. Which that's saddening, but it is what it is.

Consider yourselves lucky!!!

The only aviation talk from the wife is when she's watching the news and hears about another unfortunate GA accident. Then I'm reminded she'll never fly with me. Which that's saddening, but it is what it is.

Consider yourselves lucky!!!

I'm reminded of just how lucky I really am - my wifes only reservation about flying with me in the 9A was "What kind of interior are you going to put in it? I'm not flying in an ugly airplane."

Reno posters on the living room wall. We live on an airport. We plan our vacations around Reklaw. Even the cat runs to the window to watch RV fly-bys.

So, yes. Most definitely an airplane household.

Sadly, no. It was more of an automotive household this winter, with the following in my garage (not all at the same time, most aren't mine):

1938 Ford V8 Coupe (daily driver with modernized running gear, 350/350, 700R4, AC, etc.)
1933 Ford V8 Coupe (Navarro Flathead hotrod)
NC Miata
VW GTI 2.0 (TFSI)
BMW K1600GT (What's German for "Yeehaw!"?)

All but the last two have gone back to their owners now. I have so little time to fly, but I have a lot of places I must drive. Nothing like work paying you mileage on the hot rod... it almost pays for the fuel :D

I wish I could say that the work forecast will help my flying any time soon, but a move to Louisiana is in my future, so probably not. And I am explicitly prohibited from being PIC while traveling for work...:(

TODR

Last edited:
We're rapidly becoming an aviation household. My wife took her first flight in a small plane a month ago and now wants her PPL. I asked her to wait until I finish my plane. I need the cash for the glass.

We're rapidly becoming an aviation household. My wife took her first flight in a small plane a month ago and now wants her PPL. I asked her to wait until I finish my plane. I need the cash for the glass.

PLEASE! Never discourage or delay a spouse who wants to get her Pilot Certificate. I promise, the wait will be WELL worth it.

Even though Momma doesn't buck rivets, and heaven forbid I ask her to find anything that has a fraction in the name, :p she loves planes, she doesn't run UPS drivers off when they have a box with red, white and blue tape and labels on it, and my buddies all say that I have the longest leash of any guy they know. In fact she does say things like the following as I leave the house, and usually not with here arms crossed and foot tapping (if ya know what I mean):

What time are you getting home from the hangar?
What day are you getting home from the race or formation show?
Where is the formation show, and who else is flying in it?
(Actually she and the boys go to a lot of those events).

The boys finally understood what I do at the hangar (when no flying is involved) when I said, "this is Legos and Bionicles for Dads". They help with my Airplane Legos sometimes too!

Obviously some Mom's, Wives and Girlfriends like Airplane Legos too! Call that a BIG win! My bride would probably roll her eyes if I fire-sleeved the toaster-oven cord...but I think that 's way-cool! I'll settle for the long leash and call it good...

...wait...

...what's that honey? Be right there!

Oooops, gotta go...;)

Cheers,
Bob

Her seat is the left seat.!!

.....is what she keeps reminding me. And this is in the house or in the car.

When we were looking for ceiling fans for the Airpark weekender, she dragged me around to show me one that she wanted, because it looked like a propeller. A couple of months ago she bought me a little present, a P51 pencil sharpener which she placed on the coffee table. How cool is that!!! She also ordered the Vans calendars and put them up, one for the house and one for the Airpark weekender.

But not everything is smooth with us. The 9a is a compromise, she wanted a 7a (so she could do aero's) and I wanted a 9. I had to compromise and we settled for a 9a :D

Lucky guy

I don't know if you could call it an aviation household (no wall art or calendars) but I have several things fixed with AD rivets here and there. And thank The Lord I have a wife who will not only fly with me, but has been willing to let me spend a big chunk of our life savings on an airplane. The only rules so far is I can't say "oh s***" when we're flying, and she gets to brings her lap dog along.

My thoughts, exactly

PLEASE! Never discourage or delay a spouse who wants to get her Pilot Certificate. I promise, the wait will be WELL worth it.

It's a matter of long-term happiness versus short-term gratification, I fear. I'm grateful to have a spouse who will always puts my development as a (better) pilot ahead of building.

Last edited:
Spin the way-back machine almost 40 years......

I'm dating this very fine long-legged redhead, and one night when I arrive at the door her dad says "Hey, you want to go to an EAA meeting?"

I say "What's an EAA?"

9rtw5y.jpg

My lovely bride has happily flown with me in any plane in any attitude for many years.

She also is the Public Affairs Officer and announcer for us at Team AeroDynamix.

Our office is full of Airshow stuff. Our laundry room is littered with Team AeroDynamix uniforms.

That really makes for an aviation household!

Last edited:
My door closer got damaged when the wind caught it and pulled the closer from the metal frame. The question buy a new door a few hundred or stiffener? A little scrap aluminum, nut plates, rivets and back working.

backdoor.jpg

I did put the door back into Phase one testing to be safe. :rolleyes:

Karen recently had the honor of making the first airplane noises in what is to become N904KM (our anniversary and initials. Notice that she gets top billing;)).
FP13052013A00005.jpg

She always makes herself available to help when I need it, like helping with dimpling large skins. She's also willing to get her hands dirty.

Last edited:
Airplane household? Yes...though some parts of that commitment are best kept outside of her knowledge:

1270F9E9-A13B-4A41-9F55-1C5FEBCC4C21-326-000000187F7A0583_zps0d474a4f.jpg

I'm reminded of just how lucky I really am - my wifes only reservation about flying with me in the 9A was "What kind of interior are you going to put in it? I'm not flying in an ugly airplane."

My wife has said I can have any plane I want... As long as it has two seats, or I have at least one plane with two seats.

Good to see.

I raced hydroplanes starting when I was young up until my late 30's. We always built engines on the kitchen table and use the oven and refrigerator to sweat fit the crank assembly into the crank case.

Now that I am building an RV it is good to see there is still a need for the oven anyway.

Awesome better-halves

She is one quality gal! My better half is in charge of the design of the paint job on our -7. She still has a few years to finalize the design (I'm just staring the wings now) but, I'm sure, it won't be ugly!

Also, we found that HVLP sprayer is great for around the house projects (furniture refinishing, etc) with appropriately thinned paints .. don't know why I didn't discover this earlier; the $30 Harbor Freight sprayer is making lots of fans! Makes for Happy Wife = Happy Life!

Also, too ... when we were first dating, my (to be) bride described me to her Mom: "he's very handy" .. and it has held me be in very good stead when I come to visit (to Hawaii, BTW!!!). I have a few projects to do around the house, all of which makes my mother-in-law very happy. Just think how excited she'd be if I turned up with the rivet squeezer in hand!

Last edited:
Karen recently had the honor of making the first airplane noises in what is to become N904KM (our anniversary and initials. Notice that she gets top billing;)).

Me, too! N430WB ... Her birthday, my initials!

Keep building Miles! I'm tracking you from NorCal!

Back