What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Engine mounting instructions

bhester

Well Known Member
Patron
Ok, it’s been a long time. I remember someone had engine mounting instruction on here somewhere back in 2006 or so when I had to mount mine. I have got to remove and reinstall my engine and I can’t find the instruction. If anyone can point me in the right direction that would really help. Mainly looking for how to take the mount bolts out and how to put them in when I have to remount.
Thanks!

Hi Bobby .. Here are two. The RV-8 one goes bottom bolts first, and have used that method twice with great results!

Attachments

• Illustrated Guide to Engine Hanging.pdf
    464.5 KB · Views: 193
  • Hanging the engine | My RV-8.pdf
    202.5 KB · Views: 274
Last edited:
Engine mounting

I used the left one as a reference but ultimately followed my gut and Jereme's instructions.
-Study the plans. The two halves of the rubber mount are not identical. Know which goes where. Also note where the washers should be installed.
-Make a drift pin from a long hardware store bolt.
-Install the stuff you can't get to easily afterwards.
-Have all the tools ready. Two wrenches, ratchet, socket, dull probe, mirror, light, wood block and small open end wrench.
-Lift the engine into position.
-Install one top mount. Leave the bolt and nut loose. None of the bolts should need to be twisted or beaten. When things align, they slide in.
-Install the second top mount. Use the dull probe to get the parts close then the drift pin. Tighten the previous top bolt till parts touch but not fully tight. It should pull the other side snug enough so the parts don't shift when the drift pin is pulled.
-Pull the drift pin and slip in the bolt. Snug the parts but not tight.
-Raise or lower enough to slip the lower parts on both sides in position then lower till they barely touch.
-Pick a lower.
-Use the dull probe to align parts and slip in the drift pin without the second half of the assembly.
-Lower the engine till fully in contact.
-Pull the drift pin and slip in the bolt. The block and wrench make a good pry to get the drift pin out. Do not be tempted to screw the bolt in. Yes, it will probably go in but it will scare up the engine mount hole. If it won't go in easy, look with a mirror and repeat the procedure to align the parts. Leave the bolt/nut a little loose.
-Lift enough to loosen the weight on the last one.
-Align parts with the dull probe.
-Slip in the drift pin.
-Lower till fully in contact
-Remove the drift pin and slip in the bolt.
-Loosen the nuts as needed and lift a little to readjust the parts till they fall into place where they belong.

Easy peasey.
I fabricated a thin box end wrench to access the nuts.

I just installed my 390 in a RV-14 by myself using a similar method as mentioned. I taped 1/2 the rubber mount along with the washer onto the mount between the mount and the engine. I got the top 2 bolts in first without any issues and tightened. I then removed the back half of the rubber mont along with the bolt on the two lower mounts and then used a mirror from behind to line up the mount and washer to the engine. Used the hoist and loosened the top bolts as required to get them to line up. Bolt slipped right in. Did the same for the 2nd lower mount.
I found it easier to do alone and make sure holes were aligned with a mirror than have several people pushing and shoving against each other trying to shove bolts in. Took me an hour.

Back