What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Snap! (Followed by cursing)

chepburn

Well Known Member
Hi all,

Well, with 2.9 hours left to go in my phase 1, and a beautiful long weekend ahead, it figures that something would try to delay me.

Anybody ever had this happen? Engine Started....now, Avionics ON. EFIS On ---SNAP

These are Tyco switch breakers. (New ones!!!) Yup. The toggle broke right off at the root. C$%p.

snap.jpg

able to fix in flight?

Chris, I have never seen that happen even in a junior high shop class! Are you able to jam something in and make it work? I would try it and see if it is easy to make it work. If not, I would change the switched to something that if it broke, it was still workable. Maybe there isn't a switch like that, but you have sure given me something else to worry about!!

At about 5 hours since new, I started up, turned on the alternator field switch-breaker (Tyco), but it immediately tripped. Wouldn't stay on. Fortunately I was only 10 minutes from home base so I flew home on battery power only, minimal avionics on. At home I found a large chunk of plastic had broken off the back of the breaker. I replaced it, no further problems.

If I had been on the road I would of had to borrow a different CB - maybe the landing lights - and jumpered that to the alternator field wire.

Years ago, I had a flap toggle switch break of just like that - but it was on a trainer that had about a gazillion student touch and goes logged......

My guess in your case is that it was just a random flaw in the metal of the bat.

I'm inclined to agree with Paul... Probably just an extremely rare deformity or void in the metal of the bat. Unless you kind of "hulked out" for a second when you went to flip that switch... "Hulk want EFIS NOW!" :)

Crud. Mark told me you were hoping to finish your 25 hours today, and I was rooting for you. I'd be trading that switch/breaker for one on a system you don't need this weekend, if there is one of the correct rating available - e.g. nav lights.

Crud. Mark told me you were hoping to finish your 25 hours today, and I was rooting for you. I'd be trading that switch/breaker for one on a system you don't need this weekend, if there is one of the correct rating available - e.g. nav lights.

Hi Kevin,
Yup, that's why I ended up doing. I now have a inop Turn Coordinator and a couple of 5 amp breakers on order.

Got 1.6 in today. Back up tomorrow.

Chris

I ordered these from Stein for use as avionics 1 and 2... and two have broken so far. Cheap construction for a $30 switch.

Green and mean

Unless you kind of "hulked out" for a second when you went to flip that switch... "Hulk want EFIS NOW!" :)

I think everyone can see that it was a Hulk moment.

It happens to me all the time.

Its upsetting for my accountant at tax time.
"I owe what??!!"
"HULK NO LIKE....HULK SMASH"

Back