What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Control stick switch Question

jimbo

Well Known Member
Patron
For those that have a pilot controlled steering switch on their control stick for autopilot engagement, what control stick handle did you use that also provides a switch for the push to talk? I will not have electric trim. I see one wooden stick handle that is in Vans catalog has a second switch for the bigger multi-way electric trim switch but all I would need is 2 simple on/off switches, one for PTT and the second for autopilot engagement.

Thanks for your feedback.

Jim
RV9A

Infinity grip

I have installed the infinity, see

http://www.infinityaerospace.com/infgrip.htm

I really like it, good quality, fits my hand nicely, and very reasonably priced. The website is a little "full" making it harder to read but the product is good. I'm not flying yet but I have installed it and like it so far.

I installed it with a little bit of twist so as it feels natural as my hand lands on it. I'm using the switches for: PTT, elev/aileron trim, AP disconnect, aux fuel pump (through a relay). Two switches remaining and have not yet finalized their use.

Bevan
RV7A wiring

Tosten CS-2

How about the Tosten CS-2 ?

http://www.tostenmanufacturing.com/catalog/aircraft-grips/cs-2-aircraft-grip.html

cs2.jpg
cs2-side.jpg

Hi Steve,
Yep, I did notice. That's why I suggested the Tosten CS-2.
From the CS-2 description:
  • For use in Experimental Aircraft only
  • Two function control stick
  • Index trigger button
  • Additional button underneath trigger
  • Ambidextrous design
  • Made in the USA
Alternatively, if you want four buttons, Tosten offer the CS-4
Or, if you want four buttons plus HAT switch, they offer the CS-8.

Hey, Steve,

Sorry, didn't mean that for you and I probably shouldn't have said anything at all...the Tosten grips do fit the bill for the OP.

No worries, Steve.

One advantage of the Tosten CS-2 over the Ray Allen grips is the absence of switches/buttons on the top of the grip, which reduces the chance of inadvertent activation by resting a chart or other item on top of the stick.

tosten grips

I also used the Tosten grips in the same configuration that you desire. I found them to be very comfortable, and well made. Used the trigger for PTT, and the auxilliary button to engage/disengage the AP.
Highly recommended.

Regards,
Chris

Flew a Ray Allen grip in a previous airplane and have a Tosten CS-8 in the current one. The buttons in the top of the Ray Allen grip were more prone to inadvertent operation. The Tosten's trim hat doesn't care if you rest a map on it, and guards the two pushbuttons.

On the other hand, the Tosten mounting method is awful. They supply an aluminum bushing for the end of the stick tube. A single screw is used to tie the bushing to the stick tube and clamp the stub on the grip's base inside the bushing. If the bushing OD is the slightest bit undersize in the tube you get grip wobble, and sooner or later the screw will fatigue. Won't be fun if the grip comes out of the tube at the wrong time.

Mine has three additional short screws at cardinal points to lock the bushing in the tube. An alternate plan might be to machine a new press-fit bushing.

Back