What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Looking for a new headset

Darren S

Well Known Member
I've been flying for the past few months with my Lightspeed QRS ?? something from my Ultralight days. It has gotten me by but they hurt my ears after a few hours and there is no noise cancellation feature.

I see alot of ads for the new Bose A20. There's not alot on VAF about these. I guess because they are so new. I think the next most popular one is the Lightspeed Zulu.

I think they both have noise cancellation, music and phone inputs ?? I think. When using the radio, does the music automatically stop ??

Any feedback on either headset would be good. I'm going to buy something before the week is out.

Thanks,

Darren

It's going to come down to what you like and what you are willing to spend. I used a regular non-ANR headset for the past 9 years of flying. AvComm 900's I think. About 6 months ago I spent $300 and got an ANR headset (pretty low end for that cost). I liked the improvement enough to buy a 2nd pair off of eBay for $75. Flightcom's classic ANR. The used ones work just as well as the new ones. I actually like the used ones better!

That aside, my good friend Steve let my wear his Lightspeed Zulu's for 5 minutes while I taxied my airplane to a tiedown spot. Man, they were sweet! Very rich sound and very comfortable. Worth $850? I don't know...if I had a spare $850 lying around, I'd probably buy a set! As it is, I'm on a budget, so none for me (for now!).

I'm sure that wasn't helpful. Sorry! :D

I use these in my 6A...... http://www.pca.aero/detail/5984/Headsets/PCA/PCA-ANR-II/ and they work great. They are made by lightspeed. I also have the ZULU's but would rather use cheaper ones. Music input is great, and will back off when the radio has an in call and then fades back in. Has cell phone input also. When you take the headset off and set it down, It will shut off automatically. 2 AA batteries will last about 6 to 9 months.

These are just a great all around headset for the price. And lightspeed has accessories for them.

Just a suggestion...

All of the top of the line ANR headsets are really great. It's a very competitive market. Before you buy an over the ear headset, just give an in the ear set a try. I have had some great headsets, but once I tried the Halo's there was no looking back. I borrowed a pair of Zulu recently, and I must say, they were awesome, but I still prefer my Halo's. Hard to beat the music fidelity with them and they cancel noise much much better than any ANR headset I have tried, provided you learn to insert the plugs properly. I realize that they have no direct manner by which to pipe in music and phone, but there are ancillary devices that allow their function. Bluelink I believe. Clarity Aloft has an offering as well, but I have never flown with a set. A downside to them is that they are not well suited to use for ride hops and Young Eagle flights and such. It takes a bit of practice to get the plugs in your ears properly, so for the occasional passenger, I snap a set of DC's on their noggin.
Truthfully, before I tried a pair of in the ears, I discounted them as something I probably wouldn't like. I was wrong about that....

Regards,
Chris

I have a Bose A20 and a Lightspeed Zulu...Both are excellent headsets...

The Bose A20 is a little more comfortable and has noticably better noice reduction.....Pricey at $1095

The Zulus have a little better audio quality and better price at $850.....You can find used ones for $600-700 on Ebay....

Both have Bluetooth and an audio input jack.....

The Bose X is an excellent unit. I had several of them until I upgraded. It does not have an audio input but there is one aftermarket that plugs into the underside of the cup/earpeice...You can pick up a used Bose X for $500-600....

I agree with Chris. An in ear set is the way to go. I have two Zulu's and love them. I tried the Halo's on for a test at Oshkosh 2010 and bought a pair. After flying with the Halo's for a while now, I am selling one of my Zulu's and will buy another Halo. I will miss the Bluetooth the Zulu's have but can run a cell phone through the audio panel input. I don't listen to music anyways while piloting for the simple fact of it being an added distraction.

I borrowed a pair of Zulu recently, and I must say, they were awesome, but I still prefer my Halo's.Regards,
Chris

Chris do you know if its possible to get custom ear buds made for the Halo like you see some rock performers using on stage? The Halo's look a lot more comfortable than any full headset on long trips but I've never had a tight fitting ear buds that was comfortable for a very long time.

Just did a search and "WOW" they can be $$$$$$$$$$$. Don't know if they can be adapted to the Halo.

Last edited:
I agree with Chris. An in ear set is the way to go. I have two Zulu's and love them. I tried the Halo's on for a test at Oshkosh 2010 and bought a pair. After flying with the Halo's for a while now, I am selling one of my Zulu's and will buy another Halo. I will miss the Bluetooth the Zulu's have but can run a cell phone through the audio panel input. I don't listen to music anyways while piloting for the simple fact of it being an added distraction.
I did the opposite...I flew with the Clarity Alofts for a year or so and also tried a set of Halos. In fact I bought my first set of Claritys with only a handful of hours as a Student Pilot......I tried a set a Bose X loved them and never went back to the in-the-ear headset...Plus I find no distraction listening to music.....:cool:

To each his own...:)

Last edited:
I could say all sorts of great things about the Halos (we now own four pairs - two for each plane), but it's easier for you if you just search the forums for "Halo". We agree that they are great personal headsets, but it is easier to have a pair of over-the-head clam-shells for the occasional passenger. We keep two Halos in each plane so that no matter which aircaft Louise and I choose to share, we both have one without having to grab them from the other plane.

I could say all sorts of great things about the Halos (we now own four pairs - two for each plane), but it's easier for you if you just search the forums for "Halo". We keep two Halos in each plane so that no matter which aircraft Louise and I choose to share, we both have one without having to grab them from the other plane.

And soon you will need to order another set..............;)

in the ear headset

Chris do you know if its possible to get custom ear buds made for the Halo like you see some rock performers using on stage? The Halo's look a lot more comfortable than any full headset on long trips but I've never had a tight fitting ear buds that was comfortable for a very long time.

Just did a search and "WOW" they can be $$$$$$$$$$$. Don't know if they can be adapted to the Halo.

Yep..they are expensive.
Not sure about the Halo, and their compatability with a custom mold, but it would seem easy to do, as the Halo just pipes the sound to your ear canal from a hearing aid transducer via a rubber tube. A call to the Halo guys might be in order. Clarity does offer a custom option that requires a visit to an audiologist, as overheard at their booth at SNF a couple of years ago. I have no idea of the cost.

Regards,
Chris

Headset ramblings...

I did the opposite...I flew with the Clarity Alofts for a year or so and also tried a set of Halos. In fact I bought my first set of Claritys with only a handful of hours as a Student Pilot......I tried a set a Bose X loved them and never went back to the in-the-ear headset...Plus I find no distraction listening to music.....:cool:

To each his own...:)

Please understand, I wasn't trying to discount the use of over the ear ANR headsets in my first post, I think they are really great, and the noise cancelling technology that they use is quite amazing. The various manufacturers have also made great strides in comfort as well. I was only suggesting that one might try the in the ear options before plunking down the big bucks for another option. I personally find the head clamping of any over the ear style a bit uncomfortable after 20 minutes or so, and my ears sweat in them. Other folks absolutely can't stand anything stuck up their ear, and I can understand that too.
I have let other pilots try mine for a flight, and the feedback has almost always been positive and surprising. Those reactions prompted me to pass the suggestion to give them a try if you are on a search for a different headset solution.

Regards,
Chris

Bose X &

Carol an I have the Bose X and 20. We like them, and have been all over the states, lots of hours. the new 20s, or what ever, are great , I use the music input a lot.

bose x vs zulu

We have flown for 10 + years with the bose x headsets. They are great and have served us well and Bose customer service is great as well. Vic was looking to upgrade to bluetooth headset and Lightspeed has a fantastic trade in program. We upgraded one of our low cost back seat headsets (we have an rv10) to the zulu. Vic loves it-loves the center music function and the ability to call for an instrument clearance on the ground through the headset.
The zulu in now the primary headset he uses and we are taking advantage of the trade in program to upgrade an old telex anr to the zulu. For anyone interested in the trade in program here is the link
http://www.lightspeedaviation.com/content.cfm/Products/Trade-Up-Program.
The bose headsets will be relegated to the back seat and everyone will have comfy headsets.

my wife and I have been using the Clarity Aloft headsets for about 2 years in our 7A and I keep a set of over-the-ear (muf) headsets in the plane for the occasional passenger... I am one of those who, once I tried the in-the-ear headsets could NOT go back to mufs. The comfort and audio quality is superior to the mufs and noise cancelling is very good. I recently flew from Houston, TX to Iron Mountian, MI in ONE DAY (over 1000 NM) and never once was the headstet uncomfortable. I am currently in the process of IFR training and really like the comfort that the Clarity Aloft gives me while wearing the vision limiting device...

Good luck with your evaluation. :)

Victor

I have a Bose and a Halo. For me the Halo wins hands down because it is much quieter when properly inserted in the ear and I can wear a wide brim hat with it.

Martin Sutter
Building and flying RV's since 1988
EAA Technical Counselor

If I were doing things today, I'd consider adding an MGL Comm (with built in noise canceling intercom) as backup comm in lieu of an intercom, and get two cheap headsets. Why pay for ANR twice when the same money will get you a second excellent comm? And, expensive headsets are far more likely to be purloined if left momentarily unattended than are comm radios.

Just sayin'...

:D

Back