What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Oshkosh RV10 Camping

MSEYEFLY

I?m currently building a 10 and like always, plan to be at Oshkosh this year. I would like to camp with other RV10 builders but can?t find anything on the forum where someone coordinates an area for RV builders to camp and socialize together. Anyone have any idea if this happens or who I might contact to try and link up with to camp in the same area? Thanks for the help.

Mark S.

Great idea

I think it is a great idea. I’ll be camping too while I build, but I will be one down from you!:eek:

I?d definitely recommend coming to the RV10 social on Sunday... unfortunately camping is on a first come, first served basis, so unless you plan up front, who knows where you?ll get to camp.

I?m currently building a 10 and like always, plan to be at Oshkosh this year. I would like to camp with other RV10 builders but can?t find anything on the forum where someone coordinates an area for RV builders to camp and socialize together. Anyone have any idea if this happens or who I might contact to try and link up with to camp in the same area? Thanks for the help.

Mark S.

There are multiple groups of RV-10 campers. There have been some negative experiences when it was attempted to grow the community. It was quickly learned that common sense is as common as one would think.

I know that the organizers of the RV-10 groups in Scholler read VAF, so I'll let them respond if they are open to coordinating camping with new comers.

I've been camping in HBC for the last five years with a group of RV-10s. They tend to park like models together for Saturday arrivals. I've been camping next to Kelly for the last few years. He comes from Arizona and I'm from Ohio, but we've managed to arrive at OSH within a few minutes of each other every year. We probably couldn't do that if we tried to do that intentionally.

BTW, we've got quite a few RV-10s fly in central Ohio. You're welcomed to stop in and take a look. I'm based at KDLZ.

As Bob L. said, there are a couple of relatively small groups of RV-10 folks in Scholler but in our groups? case, we?ve been camping together for many years and get there very early because we are mostly retired and do a lot of volunteer work before and during the show. The area where the Sun dinner/social will be is actually at our camp sites (we get an extra site or two). We leave the canopies and tables set up during the week as a place for impromptu gatherings of RV-10 enthusiasts which tend to happen a lot in the afternoons & evenings.

Years ago a few of us tried to coordinate RV-10 group camping however it quickly got WAY out of hand. The time and personal demands were far more than any of us were willing to accept so it?s not something that we do anymore.

As Bob Leffler said, the Sun Dinner is absolutely the best place to connect up with other RV-10 builders/fliers.

There are multiple groups of RV-10 campers. There have been some negative experiences when it was attempted to grow the community. It was quickly learned that common sense is as common as one would think.

I know that the organizers of the RV-10 groups in Scholler read VAF, so I'll let them respond if they are open to coordinating camping with new comers.

I've been camping in HBC for the last five years with a group of RV-10s. They tend to park like models together for Saturday arrivals. I've been camping next to Kelly for the last few years. He comes from Arizona and I'm from Ohio, but we've managed to arrive at OSH within a few minutes of each other every year. We probably couldn't do that if we tried to do that intentionally.

BTW, we've got quite a few RV-10s fly in central Ohio. You're welcomed to stop in and take a look. I'm based at KDLZ.

Kelly and I launched from neighboring airports and ended up right next to each other for the second time in a row and we never coordinated a thing. See you soon Bob.

Oshkosh camping

Thanks to all who responded. Though I won?t be able to make the Sunday dinner, i?ll stop by during the week in the evening to see who I can catch around the site. Would enjoy learning more about next steps in the build and some good advice!

Maybe use a phone app?

I would like to camp near other RV-10 folks too, will be arriving late Saturday morning. I'm wondering if we could use technology to our advantage here.

Some googling got me to an app called Foursquare Swarm. You connect with friends via their email addresses, then can create groups and show them all your location. There is some kind of chat feature too.

It sounds like it might be useful if we all become foursquare "friends", then drop a pin at wherever we camp. Newcomers can try to get close to others, we can keep a chat for current goings-ons, stuff like that. One thing I missed out on 2 years ago was when RV-10 flyers opened up their planes for oogling. I could really use that this year, and a quick post on our chat would be an easy way to get the word out.

Good idea? Suck idea?

Sounds like a plan. Usually arrive late Wednesday pm and leave Sunday morning. Text 419-344-1519 when you’re there and we will figure it out.

If you guys manage to wander over to HBC, stop by and say hi and maybe have a beer. Just look for the Blue and white with orange trim RV-10 with a big-a$$ lime green tent next to it? you can?t miss it.

As Bob L. said, there are a couple of relatively small groups of RV-10 folks in Scholler but in our groups? case, we?ve been camping together for many years and get there very early because we are mostly retired and do a lot of volunteer work before and during the show. The area where the Sun dinner/social will be is actually at our camp sites (we get an extra site or two). We leave the canopies and tables set up during the week as a place for impromptu gatherings of RV-10 enthusiasts which tend to happen a lot in the afternoons & evenings.

Years ago a few of us tried to coordinate RV-10 group camping however it quickly got WAY out of hand. The time and personal demands were far more than any of us were willing to accept so it?s not something that we do anymore.

As Bob Leffler said, the Sun Dinner is absolutely the best place to connect up with other RV-10 builders/fliers.

The past few years we have been at 52 and Lindbergh. Bob will send out an exact location after we get set up.

Gary Specketer

Back