What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Advice on Andair fuel selector

Dorfie

Well Known Member
Please help me out. I ordered the andair fuel selector for the RV10 while at Oshkosh, but asked them to delay shipping till I get some answers.
1. What is the reason for installing the fuel selector with extension? Will the standard (without extension) do?
2. What angle fittings did you use with the fuel selector? I assume it has to do with the way the fuel lines are routed?
3. Did you use the 3/8" connectors?
4. There is an option to install the "duplex" fuel selector, which allows for a fuel return line to the tank from which it drains fuel. The purpose of this is with the use electronic ignition (EFII). Any other reason to use the duplex? I do not plan on installing electronic fuel injection at this time, might be later though.
Thank you.
Johan

1) The extension is required for the RV10. This is because there needs to be room under the tunnel cover to allow the SCAT tube to run to the rear seats.

2) The bottom/lower (output) is MALE. The other two fittings (input from tanks) are best with ELBOW. Basically you want all the fittings facing down and the elbows on the input allow you to position the fitting in the proper orientation.

3) Yes, the RV10 uses 3/8" fuel lines

4) No need for duplex unless you have a need for a purge/return line as dictated by special equipment. Stock engine setup does not require one.

Please help me out. I ordered the andair fuel selector for the RV10 while at Oshkosh, but asked them to delay shipping till I get some answers.
1. What is the reason for installing the fuel selector with extension? Will the standard (without extension) do?
2. What angle fittings did you use with the fuel selector? I assume it has to do with the way the fuel lines are routed?
3. Did you use the 3/8" connectors?
4. There is an option to install the "duplex" fuel selector, which allows for a fuel return line to the tank from which it drains fuel. The purpose of this is with the use electronic ignition (EFII). Any other reason to use the duplex? I do not plan on installing electronic fuel injection at this time, might be later though.
Thank you.
Johan

1. The fuel valve mounts in the lower part of the tunnel and you need about 3-4" of extension to fuel selector on top of the tunnel. This change was done several years ago to better accommodate the heater scat tube to get by the fuel valve in the tunnel.

2/3. I don't recall. I would have to look it up. It may be documented on mykitlog site.

4. While it would work for the purge line, it isn't needed. Unless you want the capability to send purged fuel to either tank. My AFP purge line is just connected to a t-connector under the right seat. Set the fuel selector to the left tank and the hot fuel goes into the right tank. Much easier to install.

A duplex fuel valve would only be needed if you have one of the continuous flow return types of fuel injection systems that must have the return plumbed back to the same tank you're feeding from (e.g. ECI/AE or Continental injection system). The ECI system isn't available for the Lyc 540 engines, and I don't think anyone has yet hung a Cont IO-550 on an RV-10 :D

I installed my andair without using the extension because at the time I was looking the extension was like $300 and I said no to that. I verified with Deems Davis who did the same thing prior to me and had 300 good hours on his setup. I have 375 trouble free hours on mine now. I had to shape the fuel lines so that I could run the heater vent scat tube between them. I wrapped the fuel lines in firesleeve where the scat tube passes through.

IMG_6749-M.jpg

I installed my andair without using the extension because at the time I was looking the extension was like $300 and I said no to that.

That is the original method of mounting the fuel selector. The andair extender was $100, but they've since reduce the price. I have about 9" of the extruded extender available, that I recently listed for sale on VAF, if somebody needs an extender. You only need 3-4".

I would strongly encourage folks to follow mounting the valve lower in the tunnel per the current plans. It will help minimize any potential vapor lock issues induce by the heater scat tubes.

There are other methods available to run the scat tube, but I think the plan version is the easiest to install.

I originally mounted my Andair valve like Brian did. I was not happy with the scat routing though and was also concerned with possible heat issues as Bob mentions. I ended up lowering the valve and fabricated my own extension. I still did not like that the scat could possibly vibrate or bounce around and rub against the extension rod so I fabricated a short 6" piece of 2" O.D. aluminum tube and squeezed it a little next to the extension for 1/8" clearance and mounted it to the inside of the tunnel with a couple 8-32 screws. I also sheathed all the fuel lines in the tunnel for heat issues.

Fuel extender

That is the original method of mounting the fuel selector. The andair extender was $100, but they've since reduce the price. I have about 9" of the extruded extender available, that I recently listed for sale on VAF, if somebody needs an extender. You only need 3-4".

I would strongly encourage folks to follow mounting the valve lower in the tunnel per the current plans. It will help minimize any potential vapor lock issues induce by the heater scat tubes.

There are other methods available to run the scat tube, but I think the plan version is the easiest to install.

Bob I would like a piece of extender if you a prepared to send to me Australia just tell me how much with USPS and l we send send money first
Thanks
Charles Mifsud

Big thank you

Thanks for all the quick responses. Much appreciated.
Some more questions surfaced. I don't have the valve available yet, so I am trying to picture some smaller issues.
1. Did you re-mount the selector mounting bracket (F-1048C) in a lower position in the tunnel? Did you manufacture a new one and kept the original in place?
2. How did you mount the upper part of the fuel selector (cockpit visible part) to tunnel top? I am installing the aerosport center console. Does the selector lever and indicator mount to the aerosport section only or in some other manner that requires the F-1048C to stay in top part of tunnel?
3. Does the Andair valve fit the F-1048C as is?
Thanks.
Johan

QUOTE]

Bob,
Which plans are you referring to. My plans show the high mounted stock brass Vans selector only.
Thanks.
Johan

Thanks for all the quick responses. Much appreciated.
Some more questions surfaced. I don't have the valve available yet, so I am trying to picture some smaller issues.
1. Did you re-mount the selector mounting bracket (F-1048C) in a lower position in the tunnel? Did you manufacture a new one and kept the original in place?
2. How did you mount the upper part of the fuel selector (cockpit visible part) to tunnel top? I am installing the aerosport center console. Does the selector lever and indicator mount to the aerosport section only or in some other manner that requires the F-1048C to stay in top part of tunnel?
3. Does the Andair valve fit the F-1048C as is?
Thanks.
Johan

The current vans plans moved the mount lower in the tunnel and flipped the bracket upside down when compared to the original plans. I did fabricate an doubler plate, since only two of the three andair mounting holes will line up with the vans bracket.

The selector mounts to the Aerosport center console. I split the tunnel cover at the intersection of the center arm rest console and the lower console. This allows you to take off the tunnel cover without having to take off the lower console. I also cut a hole in the tunnel cover to allow the selector to fit flush on the bottom of the center console.

Photos should be on mykitlog build site.

QUOTE]

Bob,
Which plans are you referring to. My plans show the high mounted stock brass Vans selector only.
Thanks.
Johan

All I have at the house is the rev 1 plans. My current plans are at the hangar. Mykitlog.com also appears to be down at the moment, so I can't even show you a photo of my installation at the moment.

The Vans plans were revised around early spring 2008. Prior to that the stock valve was mounted high, with the ugly brass selector. After that date the valve was lowered, with an extension to the tunnel cover, and the selector went to the 'lift to unlock' aluminum pointer.

Andair valve

I mounted valve without extension and reduced the scat to 1 1/2 in. It goes below valve and between fuel lines.

Thanks to all

I will wait till I have the valve in my hand.
If the valve is mounted low and the hand selector is attached to the upper tunnel cover (or aerosport console), how do you get the extension (which I assume will come apart with removal of tunnel cover) in place upon replacement of the upper tunnel cover?

Bob,
I am talking to Andair at the moment. If you still have the extension, I might take it from you once I know what I am buying.

Cheers.
Johan

The extension is affixed to one end of the knob, and slides into the other. So when you install the tunnel cover, you make sure the extension fits into the other end of the valve.

I will wait till I have the valve in my hand.
If the valve is mounted low and the hand selector is attached to the upper tunnel cover (or aerosport console), how do you get the extension (which I assume will come apart with removal of tunnel cover) in place upon replacement of the upper tunnel cover?

Bob,
I am talking to Andair at the moment. If you still have the extension, I might take it from you once I know what I am buying.

Cheers.
Johan

Sorry, but already sold the extension.

As Mark mentioned, there is a piece of the selector that is fastened to the extension. It's just a pin going through the extension. You can also see the doubler that I added to the standard mount to accommodate the Andair mount.

FP16112010A000PM.jpg

A single screw on the selector allows you to remove it, thus allowing removal of the Aerosport console and/or tunnel cover.

FP16112010A000PL.jpg

This part gets permanently mounted to the bottom of the Aerosport arm rest console. Notice that the mounting holes aren't symmetrical.

FP16112010A000LW.jpg

You will want to cut a hole in the tunnel cover to allow this to fit through the tunnel cover. As you can see, I also spilt the tunnel cover here to allow easier removal,of the rear half. The forward section is more difficult to remove depending on what you install in the lower console. I highly recommend putting in side access panels on the tunnel for access in the tunnel.

FP16112010A000PN.jpg

Back