What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Useable Fuel Capacity in -10

jfrank71

Well Known Member
What is everyone seeing for useable fuel capacity in the -10? I thought I read somewhere it was around 53 gallons but that sounds low.
Thanks

When I did the original tank flush out with a 5 gallon can, I got back over 4 gallons from each side.

Being conservative with the figures, I set my full fuel usable at 57.

Obviously YMMV applies here.

59 1/2

Not sure about in all flight conditions, but I needed to empty a tank to re-do my fuel gauge calibration.

Flew on the left tank until the engine started coughing in cruise flight (over an airport).

Then landed and took the fuel drain out. I got less than 1 cup of fuel out of the tank.

I was not trying to get every last bit out by slipping or holding that wing high. I was very impressed with how little fuel was left.

I put 2 gallons in each tank and then pumped out what I could with the airplane in it's flight attitude. Once this was completed, I then calibrated my tanks is 1 gallons increments to 10 gallons and then every 2 gallons after that. I am able to have a full 30 gallons usable on each side with the level being 1/2" below the inside of the fuel filler lip.

Thanks

Ray
40250 (N519RV, 1127 hrs on the Hobbs)

I put 2 gallons in each tank and then pumped out what I could with the airplane in it's flight attitude. Once this was completed, I then calibrated my tanks is 1 gallons increments to 10 gallons and then every 2 gallons after that.

This is a great time to make up a fuel dip stick while you are calibrating the fuel gauge senders.

And, after you make the fuel stick, make a back up to keep around in case the first one goes missing.

My findings are like Bill's in that the unusable fuel was probably about a cup in each wing. I pumped all of the fuel in each wing through the electric boost pump into a gas can. After that I drained the rest of the fuel out of the sump plugs and it was very little.

114.5 Litres

You SHOULD run a tank dry at least once a year, before the annual. Failure to do so is slack in my opinion. If something changes, and they rarely do in an RV style tank, this is the time to find out.

Running tanks dry in the cries was SOP for the airlines back in the piston era so this notion only doing it over an airfield is just rubbish.

As noted
Flew on the left tank until the engine started coughing in cruise flight (over an airport).

Then landed and took the fuel drain out. I got less than 1 cup of fuel out of the tank.

I was not trying to get every last bit out by slipping or holding that wing high. I was very impressed with how little fuel was left.

The Vans tank is virally all usable, but YOU need to KNOW for SURE.

Back