What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Section 10 Dimple Question

danboy

On page 10-16, it says to dimple all of the holes in the 1047 stiffeners. On the same page, it also says to NOT dimple any holes in the skins common to the F-1006 bulkhead and none of the flanges of the F-1006 bulkhead. My question is should the hole in the 1047 stiffener that is common to the 1006 bulkhead be dimpled??

Hey David, I think yes. Its been a while but I interpret this line to think its ok:

Step 5: Dimple the #40 holes in all of the F-1047 Stiffeners. However, do not dimple the center (screw) hole of the empennage
fairing attachment nutplate holes in the F-1047A Stiffener (see Page 10-12, Figure 2)

Plus, once those stiffeners are riveted to the F-1075 skin, it would be pretty hard to get at them to dimple later. As you may know, the F-1074 skin will (or at least can/should) stay off for a VERY long time (like a couple months before flying!).

My concern is when it comes time to dimple the skin common to the 1006 bulkhead, will there be enough play in the skin to get a die between the stiffener and the skin - especially if the skin and stiffener is riveted all the way up to the 1006 bulkhead as instructed.

My concern is when it comes time to dimple the skin common to the 1006 bulkhead, will there be enough play in the skin to get a die between the stiffener and the skin - especially if the skin and stiffener is riveted all the way up to the 1006 bulkhead as instructed.

That nut plate hole isn't dimpled. That is where the empennage fairing is attached and the fiberglass fairing is countersunk.

The trick is to look ahead in the plans and see what hardware is supposed to be used. It will become very apparent when to dimple, countersink, or do nothing.

That part I realize, but the instructions say to dimple the stiffener but not the skin holes common to the 1006 bulkhead or the bulkhead itself. The skin holes common to bulkhead are dimpled during the tailcone attach phase. How on earth am I going to get a dimple die between the skin and the 1047 stiffeners if it's riveted all the way up to the bulkhead as instructed?

That part I realize, but the instructions say to dimple the stiffener but not the skin holes common to the 1006 bulkhead or the bulkhead itself. The skin holes common to bulkhead are dimpled during the tailcone attach phase. How on earth am I going to get a dimple die between the skin and the 1047 stiffeners if it's riveted all the way up to the bulkhead as instructed?

Why do you assume that's what you have to do?

While you probably don't have chapter 32 yet, which answers your question, you have to trust the instructions. The answer is that you will dimple the appropriate holes before riveting. Also, like Brian mentioned, the top skin is the last piece you will want to rivet on. Unless you enjoy crawling through the fuselage to work in the tail.

Follow the instructions verbatim at this stage. Mark the non-dimpled holes per the instructions and build on.

The build instructions are pretty good through the empennage and wings. There are several opportunities to deviate from the plans starting with the fuselage. I recommend reading the builder's logs of those that are ahead of you to learn all the tricks and tips.

I'm at this stage as well now and have also had a moment of pause to ensure I have the order correct.

Page 10-16 Step 3 don't dimple the skins at the F1006 bulkhead.

Page 10-16 Step 4 don't dimple the F1006 bulkhead (for joining purposes later in the build as I understand it).

Page 10-16 Step 5 says that the F1047 stiffeners are dimpled end to end (except F1047A which has the fairing screw).

Did everyone just leave out the final 4-5 rivets of the stiffeners until the fuselage join so that a dimple could be inserted into the bulkhead/skin? I'm not hugely concerned, but correct me if I'm off the rails.

Back