What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Fly Rotec TBI?

smokyray

Well Known Member
Anyone out there install and fly a Rotec TBI on a Lycoming (or otherwise?) Curious as to it's performance and whether it was an improvement over a carb or an Ellison TBI?

Thanks!

Smokey
HR2 Bendix F.I.
RV4.6 Ellison TBI

Rotec TBI?

Smokey - I'm amazed no one has chimed in on this subject. Quite a few builders were looking into them some time ago but the trail seems to have gone cold.
I believe RocketBob was the furthest along, running one on his -6 and planning to use one on his rocket.
I was hoping there would be more information available, particularly after OSK!
Although a LOOOONG way from finishing my -4 it's something that interests me too!

I haven't done anything with installing mine on the RV yet, too many other irons in the fire for the past few months. In a way I'm glad thats the case because there is a revision to the TBI's that require a new o-ring seal on the spray bar and I need to have that done.

Oh' no not another recall

In a way I'm glad that's the case because there is a revision to the TBI's that require a new o-ring seal on the spray bar and I need to have that done.

Like my ECI cylinders now my TBI's got a problem? :eek: I got one on sale last year after OSH for my 0-360. Thought I'd be at least testing by now but life got in the way again.
Hey RocketBob where do I find out about what to do to bring mine up to specs?

Revision was worth it.

While I'm not ready for 1st flight yet, I had the revision done and it has made it a more refined unit.
There was a slight friction in the slide before, but now it slides much nicer.

I've got a question for you guy's that are now flying with them. I'm only a couple of days away installing the TBI, and working out how to connect the throttle and mixture cables. The TBI slide only has about 1 1/2" travel. And as I'm using the std vernier type setup I would like to double the travel in the cockpit.
My question is, have any of you guys made this mod? And how did you go about it? I have a couple of ideas to do this, but if anyone has already done it, I would be interested to know how you went about it.

Bob'nRobyn (down under)

TBI

I also am interested, and am considering using one on a 320 with a Superior horizontal sump.
Anyone else done that yet, or will I be "the guy"....

Regards, Chris

interested too

Smokey - I'm amazed no one has chimed in on this subject. Quite a few builders were looking into them some time ago but the trail seems to have gone cold.
I believe RocketBob was the furthest along, running one on his -6 and planning to use one on his rocket.
I was hoping there would be more information available, particularly after OSK!
Although a LOOOONG way from finishing my -4 it's something that interests me too!

If have been watching for pireps on this TBI too.

CM RV4 0-320

A friend of mine is also thinking of fitting one to a forward induction system from Airflow Performance until such time as he can afford to put a full injection system on.

As the comment above, can anyone forsee any problems with this????

Is no one flying a Rotec TBI?

I was hoping to find one good, detailed PIREP of a Rotec TBI in a flying RV. The price is amost too good to resist - if someone would provide a PIREP I'd buy one immediately.

Kitplanes article

I was hoping to find one good, detailed PIREP of a Rotec TBI in a flying RV. The price is amost too good to resist - if someone would provide a PIREP I'd buy one immediately.

Don't know if it has a pirep value in it but I just got my Kitplanes mag and it has an article of the TBI in it. IIRC, I believe it to be on a RV. Haven't read it it yet just say it while flipping the pages before work.

Back