What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Is there enough room for . . .

Fist time poster, long-time reader. Thanks for a great and hugely informative site.

Am still thinking about which experimental route to go down - composite (Lancair) or metal (Vans) - and am still a few years off building. But I can't be the only one who is doing all the pre-prep and calculations in anticipation of the build that is to come!

Just wondering whether there is sufficient room behind the seats of the 7 for a set of golf clubs? If not, is there a model that will manage it? I am considering either the 7 or the 9 as I want side-by-side seating and I imagine 99.9% of my flying will be confined to the West coast. Any other advice or what I should be considering?

Last edited:
Hi Exsterminator (don't know your real name),
I was looking into the Lancair kits amongst a few others before I settle on the RV-7A. I sat in everything that I considered and weighed the pro's and con's.

For me, it really came down to the utility of the airplane. I wanted something fast and at least mildly aerobatic, while being able to afford it. The Lancair (360 Mk II) that I was looking at had the same cockpit width as the Pulsar XP I used to own...not good. I was barely comfortable flying alone, and the baggage space behind the seats was very small. I also looked at the Glasair III but it wasn't very comfortable to sit in (although it's a rocket!).

I don't golf, but I'm guessing you could squeeze a set of clubs in the baggage area. There are a couple other builders who have modified the area behind the baggage compartment to allow for long-ish items (skis, snowboard, golf clubs)...but you have to be careful with weight and balance.

I can only recommend that you sit in each type you're considering then look at your mission and you budget. Good luck.

Just a clarification...the 7 and 9 are side by side, not tandem...the 4 and 8 are tandem.

A friend of mine, Terry Wendling (he's on here from time to time) did the baggage bulkhead mod specifically for golf clubs, and will work fine.

Glad you posted!:cool:

Couple of links...

Exsterminator,

Good advice so far about sitting in a bunch of planes. Shop, it's part of the fun :)

I've seen others, but these extended baggage compartments were the first that popped up after a couple of searches:

http://brian76.mystarband.net/FuselageSep03.htm
http://www.vansairforce.net/BuilderMods/NormanHunger/luggagecompartment_skirack.htm

Adapting a side-by-side RV to golf clubs should not be difficult.

As to tandem seating, that means front / back and that's the RV-4 & RV-8. The -7 and -9 are side-by-side and that's what I've presumed you meant with your interest, though I could have it backwards.

George

snip...Just wondering whether there is sufficient room behind the seats of the 7 for a set of golf clubs? ...snip

Absolutely. Using a vinyl 'travel bag' for the clubs allows it to rest diagonally.

If you're flying solo in a -7, simply pull the two piano hinge pins holding the backrest on the passenger side and the entire piece comes out. Make the passenger stick removable and you quickly have a plane capable of carrying (3) full size bags with clubs (done it).

Two sets of lighter vinyl bags with clubs will fit in the back of my -6 (it's tight but it works).

Best,
Doug

What, no mods?

Doug's oh-so-clever solution overlooks one thing...

...the opportunity to make extensive modifications to the plans and have a truly unique aircraft.

Careful, lest you be tempted early in your building career to fall into that horrible tendency to just "follow the plans" :eek: Sure it's an incredible design "out of the box" but there's always room for improvement, isn't there?

Don't worry, there are plenty of builders to show you the way :rolleyes:

George

Doug Bell, Jr. had a cool idea for his -8.

He took those plastic club tubes, the things that only hold one club, and drilled a bunch of holes in the aft bulkhead and stuck the tubes in there.

He puts all his clubs in those holes, one at a time, and then brings a vinyl 'travel bag'.

VAF Open?

OK Doug, Golf is the one thing we have rarely seen discussed here - perhaps you need to find a course next to an airport and sponsor a VAF Open - that way, we get to see who can play, and how they carry their clubs to the event...in their RV!:D

VAF open.

There's a course right next to Sikeston, MO. (KSIK) I've seen it when flying into there. I don't play myself, nor do I have an RV (yet...) but I'll come caddy for a ride in an RV and we can all have a good meal at Lamberts. They cater to pilots. The line on a typical (weekend) day is usually 1 1/2 to 3 hours. Pilots fly into SIK, call them up, and they'll come get you in a big van. Then you get the first available table!! Ate there recently, Got a table immeadiatly, and had my food within 15 minutes!

So, come on up Paul!! (and others)
Look for me in the rented 172, I'll be the one holding you guys up!:D

Plenty of room for two sets of clubs in "travel" bags. Obviously the heads have to be in the baggage area to keep the CG right.

No pictures with clubs in the back but there is plenty of room after you get them in.

The rear baggage area uses the airframe structure to keep things from getting loose in the back and reduce the need for additional braceing or framework. It is completely sealed. This picture is looking down into the area before the rear deck was riveted on.

Hope this helps!

Bill S
7a ARk 80/80

Box in back

Please post your name, plane and where you are from. We're all friends here. (Well most everybody:D)

As Bob noted, I built a box behind the baggage bulkhead. I made a framework of aluminum angle and 1/8"x1" aluminum strips. The bottom and sides of the box are made from 4 mil Coroplast, which is basically a plastic version of cardboard. No top is needed. It is extremely light and durable. The entire box weighs less than three pounds and runs from the baggage bulkhead to the tail bulkhead. The top half of the baggage bulkhead is hinged and secured with "butterfly" Skybolt fasteners.

I envisioned this box with the primary purpose of carrying my Radio Controlled sailplanes to competition with a secondary purpose carrying golf clubs. The drivers fit nicely, secured with large width Velcro straps. A soft bag and the irons fit fine in the baggage area. I usually buy golf balls at the destination since I usually go through lots of them and don't have to worry about having extras to take home:eek:

The box works great for carrying a sleeping bag, pillow and other light gear. I limit the contents of the box to around 5 pounds.

I carry one 3.7 meter sailplane in the box and parts for another. The wing is in 3 panels. With no passengers I secure the second fuselage to the passengers seat. Here is a picture on one of my competitive sailplanes.

visalia2006ic6.jpg

Last edited:
Box picture

Got ahead of myself. Here is picture of the box. If doing again, I'd make a few changes but as is, the box is very functional.

img0691vt0.jpg

FLY IN AND GOLF.........

OK Doug, Golf is the one thing we have rarely seen discussed here - perhaps you need to find a course next to an airport and sponsor a VAF Open - that way, we get to see who can play, and how they carry their clubs to the event...in their RV!:D
Here in Petaluma California (O69) our airport has a golf coures at each end of the runway. The one at the end of 29 is less than 2000 feet from trans parking.

Baggage bulkhead IS a structural component!

I'm a little concerned about some of the pictures I see here. The baggage bulkhead on a S-B-S RV IS a structural component for torsional loads. Have you guys checked with Van's on this issue?

Blond Treehorn Thug: [holding up a bowling ball] What the f**k is this?
The Dude: Obviously you're not a golfer.

Nope, I'm not a golfer either... but for the Texas RV crowd that doesn't want to go to California or Missouri to whack a few balls, there's a course in Navasota (60R) right at the south end of the runway. Looks like a 1/2 mile walk from the parking ramp.
http://www.pecanlakesgolfclub.com

And then there's Lake Murray, OK; the golf course is right on the airport... as in the pro shop is also the airport "terminal".

Thanks for most of the replies (before it went a little off topic), good to know that they will fit in there. I got to take a ride in a Legacy and while it was everything I had hoped it would be in terms of flight, it was a little "snug" - my head occasionally hit the canopy and I am not tall at only 5'10". It was disappointing but if that is the reality, so be it.

So I guess I need to find a local RVator and get a look in at his/her plane and go from there.

Thanks again

Absolutely. Using a vinyl 'travel bag' for the clubs allows it to rest diagonally.

If you're flying solo in a -7, simply pull the two piano hinge pins holding the backrest on the passenger side and the entire piece comes out. Make the passenger stick removable and you quickly have a plane capable of carrying (3) full size bags with clubs (done it).

Two sets of lighter vinyl bags with clubs will fit in the back of my -6 (it's tight but it works).

Best,
Doug

Assuming you and your buddy come in at less than 400lbs, will the 7 manage you both PLUS each of your clubs with full fuel and still be under gross? Will 2 sets of clubs even fit with 2 people in the plane?

Thanks,

KFFC (Falcon Field, Peachtree City, GA) is right next to a golf course. Lots of RV guys there too. Don't know if any of them golf though...

2 4 GOLF

I think a Vans's golf flyin would be a great event... We intend to make a club mod to our 9A. Also note the N# (N2724G) "Two for Golf"

Golf

Iron Mountain Michigan IMT is just a couple of miles from a great golf course and it is easy to get on, novation needed most days. IMT is my home away from home, I would be glad to help some get this going.

I'm a little concerned about some of the pictures I see here. The baggage bulkhead on a S-B-S RV IS a structural component for torsional loads. Have you guys checked with Van's on this issue?
Good question, we spoke about it in general but I never sent them pictures. Sent Support a couple a few minutes ago and will post their answer.

Bill S

Here is what Gus at Van's said: Usual soft disclaimer but no absolute red flags.

>> "The baggage bulkhead is a structural part, so it's better not to modify it, though it has been done by other builders, apparently without problems.
Some reinforcement around the cut out and on the bulkhead to restore the lost strength is probably a good idea. We don't have the resources to analyze the effects of cutting a hole in it, and how to reinforce the cut out, so you just have to do what looks about right to you. ""

It is experimental and lots of folks have done it. Personally don't think it's much of an issue but heck, I really don't know squat about structural analysis. In my case, it isn't just a hole, I have effectivly removed the lower 1/4 so it might not be a bad idea to do a little reinforcing on the bulkhead itself.

Bill S

Back