What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Condition Inspection: Search ADs ??

edclee

Well Known Member
Patron
Does the condition inspection require a search of ADs for certified items used on the experimental airplane? For instance if there is an AD requiring replacement of something like a camshaft, or case, or prop, is it required to see if one exists and to comply with it if it does? I know for the initial airworthiness inspection that is the case, but after that is it the case?

The FAA has some conflicting info regarding applicability of ADs to experimental aircraft. However, you are required by your operating limitations to operate your aircraft in a condition for safe operation. And by signing the condition inspection statement you are swearing that it meets that requirement. If there is a known safety issue that is identified by an AD and you ignore that known safety issue, it's pretty hard to say that you are operating in a condition for safe operation. The FAA lawyers would likely have a field day with that if there were ever and accident or incident that drew their attention to you. I would recommend that you at least check and document some sort of action that addressed the safety issue identified by the AD even if you don't comply with the letter of the AD.

To add my 2 cents worth, I am an A&P; IA; and DAR. If a major component on the aircraft is of a certified nature and failure of which would make the aircraft unsafe, yes, they apply. For instance, if the data plate on the engine is a TC data plate, and there is an AD to "Reflamagate the hypodusinators prior to further flight", yes, it does apply! However, if the data plate is modified to reflect the experimental nature of the item, then it "may" not apply. However, I think a better way of looking at it is to put yourself in the position as a Repairman for that aircraft, and did not "reflamagate the hypodusinator", and there was an accident because of that failure, and you are sitting in the courtroom, and you are asked why you stated the aircraft was in a condition for safe flight, when the manufacture of a major component of that aircraft stated otherwise, "YOU CAN BEAT THE RAP, BUT YOU CAN'T BEAT THE RIDE!!". Also, the insurance company may have a very conservative attitude toward safety.

Regards,

Gary

I see old engines with Lycoming data plates often, no record of engine history/AD's to go with it, been OH'd by tom/dick/harry in someone's garage who knows how many times, no history or original logs. Sometimes these OH's aren't even signed by who did it. No mention of AD's in the logs for 10-20 yrs. Only way to comply would be engine tear down.
The list of AD's for Lycoming is LONG.
Could be an expensive CI.
Sometimes I think I don't get paid enough.

Last edited:
To answer your original question, my reply is "YES". Do the search. Keep a list. If your engine has been designated as "experimental" then you may have a little flexibility. We have a tremendous amount of leeway in our experimental world while still staying within the "rules". But, be careful, and be smart. If your LYC has those aluminum oil pump gears - replace them. If you cannot find documentation - inspect them.

Back