What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Basic pitot tube hole RV-7

FlyGuy65

Well Known Member
Basic, per plans pitot tube installation. Plans seem to call for a hole to be drilled between two rivets joining the leading edge skin to the spar, just above an access plate nutplate. It would seem to make more sense to just enlarge one of the two predrilled rivet holes, rather than drilling an entirely new hole in the spar and trying to jam it between 2 rivets. Nothing on the wing has been riveted together yet, so I would not be drilling out a pre-existing rivet.

And am I wasting time on this to begin with - all of the search results seem to bring up folks using upgraded, heated pitot systems.

Thanks!

RV-7 Glacially slow build

I am not sure that will give you enough room for the bulkhead type fitting that goes in the hole. I will look at mine tomorrow.

Drilling the spar is what alot of people do. It's what the plans call for. No issues as long as you debur it and prime it.

I chose to drill just behind the spar and install a double in the skin.

Basic, per plans pitot tube installation. Plans seem to call for a hole to be drilled between two rivets joining the leading edge skin to the spar, just above an access plate nutplate. It would seem to make more sense to just enlarge one of the two predrilled rivet holes, rather than drilling an entirely new hole in the spar and trying to jam it between 2 rivets. Nothing on the wing has been riveted together yet, so I would not be drilling out a pre-existing rivet.

And am I wasting time on this to begin with - all of the search results seem to bring up folks using upgraded, heated pitot systems.

Thanks!

RV-7 Glacially slow build
Ask Vans - - likely they want those rivets to carry load.

Yep the rivets are structural. The idea of putting it in the skin with doubler a variation... Great question but if you drill out rivet for pitot, I doubt the loss of one rivet would affect strength. The AN tube fitting of course is not structural but it will take something. In general stick with the plans.

Last edited:
Back