What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Main Axle cotter pin no longer lines up

gfb

Well Known Member
Just replaced tires and brake pads on my RV-9A / Beringer setup and noticed that if I torque the axle nut to 25 Nm as described in the Beringer instructions the cotter pin hole no longer lines up with the holes in the nut.

Is it ok to drill another hole? Some other solution?

The short answer is yes. A second hole (but no more) spaced so you can do half a flat is fine.

Before you do that, try over torquing the nut a little, spinning the tire, then backing off the nut. This makes sure your bearings are really seated.

In most cases a second hole is not needed.

Carl

On the Boeings we torque the big nut to 550ftlbs while spinning the wheel just like Carl stated to seat bearings, then we back off the nut and then torque to 150ftlbs.

Just replaced tires and brake pads on my RV-9A / Beringer setup and noticed that if I torque the axle nut to 25 Nm as described in the Beringer instructions the cotter pin hole no longer lines up with the holes in the nut.

Replacing tires and brake pads should not change the location of the wheel on the axle.

I would remove the wheel and re-inspect. You did not mention if the fit was short of, or beyond the hole.

Maybe you just crossed your nuts.........:eek:

Drill the axle as a last resort. It is counterintuitive to go poking holes in airplane structure to accommodate a "safety" item. It's a forest for the trees or throwing the baby out with the bathwater sort of thing. You might be able to add a thin or thick washer under the nut (or combination) to change the hole lineup. Gasmax makes a good point about swapping nuts from each side's axle and see if there is a difference. And don't be afraid to over or under torque from the nominal specified value a bit for cotter pin alignment. I am not sure how Beringer might differ from Cleveland but is common to add or subtract up to one flat either side of the value to accommodate the cotter pin. There is a tolerance built in. Borrow another torque wrench and there may be enough tolerance difference to make it. And always consider contacting Beringer about this.

Last edited:
It seems to me that putting a shim washer in place to make up any gap would be far preferable and easier than drilling new holes in the axle. It comes in lots of different materials (18-8 SS is common), in thickness increments of 0.5 mil.

I did a bearing seating operation like described above, but it's hard to tell right now how loose/tight the bearings are until I get some taxi time. I was planning on shimming as needed; it's unlikely to be too tight in the end.

I had one that after a year or so was just a smidge loose...no amount of fiddling with it would allow it to line up such that it was tight enough, but not too tight (causing the wheel to not spin freely). I used a peelable shim that I think I got from McMaster and it has worked great. Only needed the thinnest of shims to get good rotation with the nut tightened appropriately, cotter pin alignment is now correct.

YMMV.

Cotter pin

Don?t make the mistake of backing the nut off
1/6 of a turn, all kinds of problems will pop up.
Like ......less wear, less friction, and the awful
?.001 gap in the wheel assembly.

Thinking the above post is a sarcastic one bit never can tell on message boards.

Guess I’m old school where you kept some play in the wheel bearings, at least tapered roller bearings. So tighten them to seat, then spin the wheel, then back of to allow free play and install cotter pin. Don’t forget to safety wire the wheel pant Bolt!

Can’t imagine torquing the wheel bearings. These aren’t Boeing’s!!
Maybe Beringer uses ball bearings and if they have a preset spacer between the ball bearings then can see them recommending torquing them. If no spacer, that’s properly set up, can’t imagine torquing them either. Just going to preload a ball bearing that’s not designed and engineered for preload.

Also don’t see a problem with drilling new holes as long as you’ve checked everything to be sure it’s not another problem that’s causing the difference.

Again old school but don’t see the need for these different bearing systems on landing gear. With a good side load from a cross wind or botched landing tapered roller bearing is the best.

JMO

With Ted on this one, for the standard supplied parts from Van’s. After about 700 hours I drilled another hole. 400 hours later and no disasters.
Anyone have a few hundred hours using a shim? It also sounds practical

Beringer uses roller bearings, not sure where you found 25nm but the manual has a big warning on this:

WARNING
Torque axle
nut to
contact by
hands, do
not force.

Perhaps all the folks offering advice on taper bearings and supplying us the Boeing specs should actually take the time to find that out if they really wanted to help?
No shortage of bad/useless/irrelevant advice on the web...

Last edited:
Guess I?m old school where you kept some play in the wheel bearings, at least tapered roller bearings
I'm old school as well because that's the way I was taught to torque axle nuts. Then I RTFM and learned that the bearings on my Matco wheels were "different" and needed a pre-load. The bearings on Matco wheels have a built-in grease seal and if you don't get the axle nut really, really tight, the inner bearing half (and seal) will rotate on the axle. So I tighten the axle nut until the wheel won't spin at all, then back it off until the tire will only spin about 2" by hand. It seems way too tight, but this is the way it's supposed to be done. I have no idea whether this is the proper technique on Berringer wheels.

One other thing. The OP said the problem occurred after changing brake pads. Several times after changing brake pads on my plane, the calipers got cocked slightly causing the pads to drag on the disc. This caused a false "feel" when spinning the wheel. I used a screwdriver to free up the caliper so they would slide properly, then the wheel spun as it should. These days I make sure the calipers slide freely before tightening the axle nut. See? I can still learn new tricks!

Back