What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Airflow Systems AC System Refrigerant Line Routing

UnPossible

Well Known Member
Hey - I am in the process of installing the bottom scoop for the Airflow Systems Air-conditioner in my RV-10.

Speaking with Bill, it sounds like some folks route the refrigerant lines down the central tunnel, while others run them in the co-pilot side walls.

If you have installed one of their AC systems in your RV-10, I'd love to hear which way you went with routing the lines, and would love to see any pictures of your installation. I am at the point where I need to rivet down the baggage and back seat floors, and need to get this figured out before I proceed.

Thanks,
Jason

Hey Jason,

Running the hoses down the Co-Pilot side is the easiest.
The tunnel can be done however it gets very busy in there.
The scoop requires that one of the hoses continues rearward anyway.

I have had VANS review the penetrations on the side over the spar and as long as proper edge distance is maintained ,all is good.

Lots of options.....

Cheers

I went down the right side. I split pvc pipe in half to make a horizontal knock out channel on the back panel of the cargo hold for the hose to pass to get behind the bulkhead to the shelf. It just looks like a bumper or chair rail for the cargo wall, which it also serves as.

Last edited:
I'd love to see any pictures you have showing how you brought the hoses out of the central tunnel (where the penetrations are on the bottom of the fuselage) and routed them to the side panels. I am assuming that I will just use the 90 fitting to start routing them horizontally through 1" or so holes in the rear seat ribs, but a bit stumped how to get them from under the rear seats into the side wall.

Additionally, any pics where you brought them through the firewall would be great.

Thanks,
Jason

Not unpossible

You need to carefully set up the hole "height" above (below) the floor so the fitting that comes in at 90 degrees "over the top" of the push rod clears the push rod at a safe distance, but still mates properly with the fitting that comes up through the bottom skin from the condensor.

I designed and 3D printed (in Nylon) a bunch of special conduit support brackets to hold conduits/AC lines together and in some cases route the A/C lines through lightening holes at the correct angle. I don't have a picture showing all of the details, but I've added a picture of an electrical conduit going through a lightening hole at a shallow angle, to give you an idea of what I mean (the last picture).

Also, the first picture contains one of my bloopers. Don't do this. You'll see partially obscured by the A/C line that comes from the left a Nyloc Nutplate (for the condensor). I've removed this, it is overkill anyway and does not adequately clear the elevator push rod. Especially if someone, sometime in the far off future used a screw that was too long....

Picture links:

Picture 1
Picture 2
Picture 3
Picture 4
Picture 5
Picture 6

Regards,

Adrian

I ran my hoses down the sides, with one on the left an one on the right side. I had Bill send me a 90 deg. fitting for each connector to the evaporator coil (rather than the Z fittings) so that I could run the hoses up outside of the tunnel. I installed an access plate in the floor to allow access to each of the two evap connections after the floor is riveted on.

While I ran the hoses through holes I drilled in the rear seat ribs, if I were going to do it again I think I would instead run the hoses directly back into the tail cone between the ribs. It would make the hoses slightly longer but would eliminate all the extra holes in the ribs. The hose going forward could then be run to the side and down the side.

I installed the firewall penetrations one on each side, low in the outside corner. These don't seem to interfere with the rudder movements or create any issues. My only warning is to be careful not to place the location so that the engine mount interferes with the hose connection. (I had to move one of mine because I got it in the wrong place.)

My reasoning for this is that I didn't want the hoses cluttering up the tunnel and potentially causing interference with the control systems. I know there are many flying with the hoses in the tunnel, but I would rather not take that chance if I don't have to.

I'm happy to discuss this more by phone if you would like. Just let me know and we can exchange phone numbers by private message.

I ran my hoses down the sides, with one on the left an one on the right side. I had Bill send me a 90 deg. fitting for each connector to the evaporator coil (rather than the Z fittings) so that I could run the hoses up outside of the tunnel.

After looking this over, and giving it a lot of thought, I think I am going to go a similar route. Bill is out of the country for a week or two, so not sure if he, or someone at his shop will be able to send me the 90 degree fittings (to replace the Z fittings)

I am a bit new to messing around with Air conditioning, but I am wondering if these 90 fittings are somewhat standard fittings that I could order and get back to making progress. Below is a picture of the Z fittings. Does anyone know where I could order a similar fitting, only with a 90 bend?

I have been looking around online, and so far I can find a lot of fittings with one o-ring fitting (either male or female), while the other end is set up to have a hose crimped on. So far I am not finding a 90 adapter with male and female o-ring fittings.

Thanks,
Jason

21de82q.jpg

Thanks for posting the link, but looking at the 90 fittings, they all look like one end is designed to have a hose crimped to it.

I may give them a call on Monday to see if they have any male to female 90's

Thanks for posting the link, but looking at the 90 fittings, they all look like one end is designed to have a hose crimped to it.

I may give them a call on Monday to see if they have any male to female 90's

Sorry, I misread your request. A fitting like that you'd have to fabricate by brazing or welding like the Z-fitting you posted was. Maybe Bill has something like that available?

Back