What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Dynon Auto Pilot for Sky View

FutureRV

I am researching upgrading my RV-7 VFR panel to a IFR one. I currently have the Dynon SkyView installed, dual screens.
Anyone have experience with the Dynon autopilt? I am plannimg to install a Avadine 540.
Does the system interface with each other smoothly and is it user friendly?
Thanks

The Dynon AP works great and will interface with the 540 just fine. It might require the ARINC-429 interface box (not sure).

Skyview autopilot

The Dynon autopilot really does a nice job and has all the functionality you will need for IFR flying. Probably the biggest issue will be running the wires from the servos up to the instrument panel. The servos are designed to mount nicely in the RV aircraft.

Might want to consider the remote control box for easier access to the autopilot functions.

As a bonus, if you have electric trim the remote control box will give you automatic trim.

Carl

Love my Dynon autopilot, does a nice job in turbulence. Works fine with my manual trim.

Thank you all for the input. I will be going with the dynon AP.
I have dual skyview displays. Is it worth changing out to the newer Skyview HD diaplays?
Cheers,
David

Thank you all for the input. I will be going with the dynon AP.
I have dual skyview displays. Is it worth changing out to the newer Skyview HD diaplays?
Cheers,
David

You would love the upgrade to HDX, but only you can say if it?s worth the cost. If you are trying to decide whether to buy the Skyview Touch or the HDX, I?d say it?s a no-brainer. If you already have the Touch, then it?s a matter between you and your bank account.

FS Complete Dynon autopilot package RV 7

I have a pair of new in box Dynon servos with install kits for RV-7 that I bought about about one year ago. Also have the AP74 interface for the legacy Dynons new in box with install tray(landscape/horizontal). All items carefully stored and in perfect condition. Decided to go all Garmin and have not yet contacted Dynon to determine if these are returnable or if there would be a restocking fee, but would discount the package to someone 15% off the $2113 I paid to save the trouble of trying. Free shipping USA

PM if interested.- Otis

Last edited:
You would love the upgrade to HDX, but only you can say if it?s worth the cost. If you are trying to decide whether to buy the Skyview Touch or the HDX, I?d say it?s a no-brainer. If you already have the Touch, then it?s a matter between you and your bank account.

I have the Sky View classic installed now. I suppose it does come down to $$$.
It is a slippery slope and the cost can get out of control. The hard part is deciding what is needed and what is just fluff.

Dynon

David,

I am here is Reno and I can help you with the Dynon SkyView system. I just sent you an email with my number, or you can email me at [email protected].

Looking forward to hearing from you.

Brian

I have the Sky View classic installed now. I suppose it does come down to $$$.
It is a slippery slope and the cost can get out of control. The hard part is deciding what is needed and what is just fluff.

I've got dual 10" classics in my plane now, and I just don't see any point in changing to Touch or HDX. They don't really offer anything that I don't already have, it's just a format change.

Touch was worth the upgrade for me. I needed a new display when my buttons started failing on the classic. Dynon had touch upgrade offer at the time.The touch has been a great feature I really like a lot for ease and confidence. That was worth the offer, but Dynon has sun setted the touch so not a option for the upgrade anymore. HDX is not worth the investment when the sky views do everything well enough right now.

Jesse let me barrow a classic touch to set up all my parameters while I was waiting for my HDX to show up, I can tell you this, the screen on the HDX and the touch screen characteristics are night and day, HDX hands down. Pdtofly, Brien helped me set up a lot of my Dynon systems, if you ever need any avionics advice, Brien has a lot of expert knowledge on this subject.

Back