What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

PIREP on flying into KGYY

Aerosport1

Well Known Member
Can anyone give me any info or experience flying into KGYY. Gary/Chicago INTL. I need to go to THE ITMS show and that looks like the closet airport coming from the East. I can get an airport shuttle/limo direct to and from the show. I have been to KDPA a couple times but KGYY looks like a better choice. Mainly looking
For Airport experience. I will not be staying in Gary.

Thanks Geoff

I've flown there many times - both in my -8 as well as my Meridian. Good approaches and long runway. You mostly deal with Indianapolis Approach on the way in, so not quite as harried as the Chicago controllers. My daughter goes to school in Chicago and my in laws live there, so I fly there plenty. I use B. Coleman and they have always taken great care of me. Rent a car through them. Its about 35m from downtown Chicago.

I've used Gary 5-6 times going to Chicago.

Easy in, easy out. Great FBO. Good approaches.

I'm usually going downtown, and Uber is the easiest way for me.

My traveling airplane burns more fuel than an RV, so I'm more sensitive to fuel prices. The savings at Gary more than pays for the Uber to downtown.

I have taken the RV into Midway. The hassles on the ground were not worth it IMHO.

Back