What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

AOG in Florida--Need an assist

Auburntsts

Well Known Member
Folks the Display Unit for my Vertical Power VP-200 has died, at least partially. If I cycle the power I can see the very very faint VP-200 startup logo and the startup systems check annunciations (they are so faint as to be illegible but I know what they are) but then a blank screen with the Soft Key label boxes barely visible but the labels themselves are illegible. The DU seems to still be controlling power pins and the control unit and the switch panel all seem to be functioning fine although it's impossible know 100% for sure without a full-up display.

Does anyone have a Display unit I could borrow/rent/buy, at least to get me home? I'll be here at Pompano Beach until July 1st and across the state over in Fort Myers until July 9th (so I'd like to get it fixed by then) I'll pay for overnight shipping. Email me at tsts4us AT gmail dot com or text/call me 703-595-5453.

Thanks!

I've checked with Jesse and no dice. Another builder thinks the most likely culprit based upon my description is a failed backlight. He also thinks he can fix it if I can find the parts. So I'm going to open it up tomorrow and see if I can determine it or the LCD screen part numbers and see what I can do. I'm also working on a wiring plan to bypass the VP 200 for what I need to safely get the plane back home.

i cant help with parts, but if you need tools or a hanger for the day to work on it at fort myers let me know.

bob burns
RV-4 N82RB

Epilogue.....

We're back in business thanks to Mark Olson. Not only did he graciously ship me his backup screen and provided me with instructions to assist me in exporting my config file, he's extending me the loan of his DU through Oshkosh if I can't get mine repaired in time. I can't thank him enough!!!!! Also I'd like to thank all of those who responded to my call for help via text, email and online offering tools, workspace, and advice--the RV family is second to none!!!!

This is a beautiful sight:
35440867852_282f1eb7b0_b.jpg

Last edited:
Glad you were able to find help. As much as I Love my VP-200 this exact scenario you went through is my worry as well. I was trying to find a spare DU and CU in case one of it fails but it seems nobody offers any.
I know at least one friend in Switzerland who could provide help by sending his unit to me in case I am away from home somewhere in Europe.
The main issue is what to do then.

I'd be really interested to learn how you repair it what was the issue which part number and are these parts still available.
Did the issue develop or just appear?

Regards
Mike

Glad you were able to find help. As much as I Love my VP-200 this exact scenario you went through is my worry as well. I was trying to find a spare DU and CU in case one of it fails but it seems nobody offers any.
I know at least one friend in Switzerland who could provide help by sending his unit to me in case I am away from home somewhere in Europe.
The main issue is what to do then.

I'd be really interested to learn how you repair it what was the issue which part number and are these parts still available.
Did the issue develop or just appear?

Regards
Mike

Mike,
It just appeared. I was on an approach after a multi-leg cross-country when the screen just went blank (or appeared to -- more on that in a minute). I'd never had so much as a flicker on that screen until it just died out of the blue. At first I thought the dimmer had malfunctioned or the unit had overheated, but further trouble shooting revealed that except for the screen, the DU was still functioning fine. So based upon discussions with a few builders the most likely culprits are the LCD backlight or the power inverter. Using a flashlight I could just make out what the screen was displaying (partly through experience and partly by having the manual and having a screen-shot of what the screen should be displaying in a given mode).

Note: make sure you keep a thumb drive with the system software and the config settings file on the plane!! The applies to any avionics that you can save and import/export settings. It's also a good idea to have electronic copies of ALL your aircraft system manuals with you too. I had my laptop and had everything but the dang config file. Had I not been able to export my config file (as painful as that was with a barely readable screen) it would have worse having to manually reconfigure the replacement DU as that would have taken hours sitting out on a hot Florida ramp.

I have shipped my DU off for what I hope will be a full repair and will post the results, good or bad, and all of the details once I know them.

... I'm also working on a wiring plan to bypass the VP 200 for what I need to safely get the plane back home.

Just curious: What would be the backup plan to bypass the VP? I guess I've been leery of VP for potential scenarios just like this. If there is a way to bypass the VP could a contingency be engineered in as part of the install?

Note: make sure you keep a thumb drive with the system software and the config settings file on the plane!! The applies to any avionics that you can save and import/export settings.

This is a VERY good idea, something I will do from now on. :cool:

Hey Todd---your scenario and solution might be a good thing for others with your equipment to know. Maybe the Vertical Power guys, or Mark, could provide some insight for a backup plan so you can fly safely.

I (we) would be interested in knowing what they say.

Tom

Maybe the Vertical Power guys, or Mark, could provide some insight for a backup plan so you can fly safely.

My backup plan is quite simple. I have three switches that all bypass the VP-200 and have their own fuses. One is for my EFIS and Autopilot, one is for my 430W, and the third is for the fuel pump. The 430W gives me a com and GPS, the EFIS gives me second GPS and everything else. So far the only time I have used these switches is on the ground for testing.

I also have a backup EFIS that will run on its own battery power, however it's purpose is to backup the main EFIS in case of failure there. It also has a built in GPS.

Note that while the VP-200 reads the position of the mag switch, the switch itself is directly switching the mags, the VP-200 can be completely off line and it still does its job. In my case I run one mag and the other side is an electronic SDS unit. I modified the wiring at the switch so it turns on the SDS instead of disconnecting the mag ground wire.

One thing I have not done, and probably should do, is wire a backup start button somewhere so if I get stuck AOG like Todd, I can get the airplane started.

Note: make sure you keep a thumb drive with the system software and the config settings file on the plane!! The applies to any avionics that you can save and import/export settings. It's also a good idea to have electronic copies of ALL your aircraft system manuals with you too. I had my laptop and had everything but the dang config file. Had I not been able to export my config file (as painful as that was with a barely readable screen) it would have worse having to manually reconfigure the replacement DU as that would have taken hours sitting out on a hot Florida ramp.

I have shipped my DU off for what I hope will be a full repair and will post the results, good or bad, and all of the details once I know them.

Mark suggested I always have the thumb drive on board when I first installed the system, so I have always carried it. Haven't had to use it. (Yet!)

Curious where you are having it repaired and will eagerly await your results.

FWIW I have some backups too, but it's really designed as a worse case get my butt back on the ground setup in case of a inflight failure: entire primary EFIS system has a backup direct battery connection as does my boost pump. I also have an external stater switch but it's not a true backup as the VP-200 still has to functioning to some degree and not transitioned to the preflight mode were the start code is required. I don't have any radios on a backup circuit as I have a handheld but this whole experience has got me rethinking a number of things about my current electrical architecture.

Now for my episode, I still had control of all of systems--initially. That's because if you shut the VP-200 down with the master power switch without shutting items off individually or changing modes it comes back on in the same state (I do not use auto mode switching). So I could have flown with it as it was (because I didn't turn anything off until I started fiddling with it), but the problem was I didn't know exactly what was wrong so didn't feel comfortable doing so VFR much less IFR.

Hi Todd
I actually have all aircraft data from plans to configure files AFM etc. on a SD/USB card and in the cloud as backup.
Cheers
Mike

My experience with the DU of the VP 200

Twice, my Display Unit showed only vertical or horizontal lines then went dark. I wasn't able to control any of my electrical system because I could not see anything on the display. Luckily, when the first encounter occurred, I was able to send my unit to Astronics and former employees of Vertical Power that now worked for Astronics were familiar enough to diagnose the problem as being a ribbon cable between two circuit boards needed to be reseated. The second time, an old and vastly experienced electronics engineer across from my hangar examined my display and again found a ribbon connector loose. After reseating the connector, the Display Unit again worked fine. Apparently, since the connector connected to the underside of the above circuit board, gravity and vibrations allowed it to work loose enough to fail the screen. My friend was aware of my previous failure and made a small foam block that he mounted/wedged between the connector and the circuit board below to prevent the connector from loosening up again. I now have confidence that this will not be my problem in the future. I just pray that nothing else happens to disable my Display Unit with it now being an orphaned system.

A little hot melt glue makes a good retainer for connectors too, in cases where the manufacturer made a poor choice.

Back