What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Kit build time

Last night I put in my order for the tail kit. Obviously, I'm terribly excited. This will likely be a long process for me, but as a planner I do like to project as much as possible.

I know the estimated hours for the RV-10 are around 2,000, but one thing I haven't seen is a breakdown by kit and the other portions. In particular I'm looking for time estimates for the kits. Can anyone give projections for me ??

I know that builds are dependent upon experience of course but am just wanting to get an idea. Maybe even percentages of time. Like the tail took 10% or 15% of the overall build time, etc. I want estimates for the four kits. Thank you everyone ahead of time.

The one major variable in the equation is how fast *you* build. Not knowing this, no one can estimate. It'll be done when you finish the last step.

Sorry. Not trying to be flippant. But it's all up to you and your pace.

Other important questions you need to be researching is what level of quality you want. Want to "hire" some help on assemblies, etc? Want to go with a minimal shop/tool setup, or have a state-of-the-art airplane factory? How about work flow in your shop?? Are you going to build at/near home, or the airport? (The latter could kill you and your marriage, and you'll double your build time...) You should understand these things before picking up a part.

You want to take advantage of all the little tips and tricks that you can to to customize the plane, or just build to the plans? Want to prime every part? (I wouldn't. Who cares if the plane lives 100 years versus 40.)

Two things I tell people thinking about the building process are, follow the plans (sequentially), and spend plenty of time understanding what the step you're trying to accomplish looks like in your mind. Time spent standing in your shop looking at the drawings and reading the plans over and over is not productive build time. Know what you're going to do before picking up the parts. Reworking is even worse!

Last edited:
Welcome Andrew!

I'm interested to see what people say. I must be a fairly slow builder, because I should be farther along than I am if the build should only take 2,000 hours. Then again, I am very methodical and I don't touch the project every day. Most people say that doing something on the project, no matter how small, is the best way to keep the total hours and duration of the build to a minimum. However, you also have to weigh your other priorities (spouse, family, friends, work, etc). Either way, welcome to greatest adventure of your life.

LP, I don't think your reply was flippant, but I already knew there would be a variance due to skill set. This is why I thought maybe % of time used would be informative as well.

My main purpose in asking isn't so much to rush through, but to try to get an idea of financial planning and obtaining for each step. If I want to goal to do 10 hours a week, what would've a good expectation to be ready (financially) for the wing kit ?? And so on. This is an immense financial project for me, and the earlier and more I can prepare for it, the more it will help me with other issues.

ppilotmike, I too am a slow methodical builder and I suspect I will be 'over, as well. I should have insight from some past builders of RVs that should be invaluable.

Welcome Andrew,

The others are right, it is based on a lot of variables. I will give you my experience thus far - and as Mike said, I sometimes feel very slow as when I compare some hours on others' logs, my hours are much higher - oh well...

I, too, like to plan and when I was researching the build, I used Brian and Brandi's excel spreadsheet as a rough planning guideline to create my time and budget plan. So far, since beginning last February it looks like this:

Emp: Feb - June 420 hours

Wings: July - March 620 hours

Fuse: Apr - present 310 hours (coming to the end of section 29)

Some things to consider: I note the time I step into the shop and note the time I quit for the day. My hours are probably a bit high because of that - some of that time is head scratching, cooling off in the house (SE GA!), getting distracted on VAF, a honey-do, etc. I'm also priming everything in and out which has added about 150 hours not counted in the above.

A really big thing to think about... As I begin to see the light at the end of the airframe tunnel, I am seeing how much work lays ahead of me. I'm beginning to think about systems planning/installation and my head is spinning. Not to mention all the glass fun ahead of me:D I truly believe the airframe is the 1/2 way point.

I am truly enjoying the journey, though. It took me a while to stop thinking about a timeline, but now that I have, the build had taken on another dimension and has become very enjoyable, almost therapeutic - except for the occasional day here or there like when bending the longerons and I want to chuck my dead blow through a wing :D:D

Just saw Ed's post - he is definitely one of the builders I was referring to above ;). If you're interested, PM your email and I'll send you my planning and time-by-section spreadsheets.

Last edited:
I've tracked hours per "section" on my build site listed in the sig below. But really, people can be all over the place with how much time it takes. I've been finding I'm slightly on the quicker side of the bell curve.

My Times

My times were mostly consistent with other builder sites that I tracked.
The big thing that will change the times is even small mods or after market items.
All these are slow build:
Tail 315
Wing 431
Fusalage 588
Finish 298
Wiring/Panel 289 (Could have been 1/2 time if I knew then what I know now)
Firewall Forward 186
Painting 432 (First time, in small space, could have been a lot faster)
Final Assembly 213 (This includes misc tasks from some kits, Moving to airport, DAR, and stuff done at the end of the build when finalizing everything)

Total 2786, total no paint 2354

More details on blog

Very nice gentlemen, this gives me SOME idea at least... Perhaps I can make a 'slow track' and a 'fast track' plan....

Thank you for the hellos, and the advice. I appreciate all the assistance. Obviously, I am all new to this. Not just the forum, and RV, but flying as well. So...... many, many, MANY more questions to come......

go to mykitlog.com and look at all the RV-10 project online. That will give you some idea to the variability, but still not 100% accurate. For example, the time on my log, is only the time that I spent, not helpers. It also doesn't include time for studying the plans and any research conducted on customizations and parts purchases.

Tools and skills make a big difference!

I spent 2400 hours building a -9 (with a non-standard engine and other custom touches) and a friend built the exact same plane in something like 1400 hours. (Both were slow build's.)

The difference is he is an A&P and had all the tools and as skills, while I had neither but acquired both as I built.

Now, when I help a new builder, I've realized that I can burn through a kit rather quickly.

Be careful on your mods, they can really slow you down. For example, the two seat side-by-side RV's are designed to have Cessna style push/pull throttle and mixture controls but I wanted a throttle quadrant. That simple change added about 40 hours to the project. (Throttle quadrant kits are available for the -10.)

Good luck with your-10, they are great planes!

Breakdown

So, with a total thus far of about 1,650 hours, my "slow build" RV-10 breakdown is below:

Shop Preparation - 218 (I renovated my garage and tracked it)
Training - 132 (I've tracked SportAir workshops/other classes so far)
Emp Kit - 452
Wing Kit - 804
Fuse Kit - 43

Time

I built one of the first RV10 QB Kits
We had has built quiet a few 2 place RV before starting the 10
We spent about, 2000 hours on the project. That was a 8 or nine years ago,, so memory is a bit shadowy

Aprox hours breakdown,,!!!

400. Empennage kit
200. Wing kit
900. Fuselage kit
500. Finish kit including wiring Panel. Ready to paint, plans built, no mods

Hope this helps a little.

Half done

I usually tell folks that when you have the airframe built you are half done. The engine, panel, electrical, upholstery, and paint take up equal tile to the airframe

Gary Specketer

I'm almost done with my Empennage and I have spent 258.43 hours on it.

I started Feb. 14th and am still working to finish it (I'm 3 pages away). I average just over 3 hours per days that I actually work on it.

By all accounts, this is fast. *shrug*

I think what others say is the right answer though.. it goes as fast or as slow as you. If every day you put 1 hour in, the plane will take 2000+ days to finish.

My "Goal" is to have the plane finished and flying before 2020.

Be fair now...

When I started my -6a "QB" in 2001, Van said 1000 hrs should do it. I stopped counting at 3000. Of course I counted shopping for tools, keeping up with the Matronics list then this one, perusing the plans, going to Van's for advice, staring at and trying to understand the plans, etc... Then the actual work which I think would have taken up about 40% of the time. We had a guy here who would build RV-8's for rich folks and put out one per year of full time++ work. Ready to fly but unpainted.

Jerry

Glad to see you jump in with both feet. I have to apologize for setting the hook... It was my -10 that you got to fly in. It looks like it made a big impression. Feel free to contact me if you have any questions (mostly about flying rather than building. Mine was a quick BUY kit).

Ha, hey Frank. Your plane was an excellent gateway, but it's not wholly your fault. It just simply helped open up Pandora's box. The box has always been there, I think I shut it up a long time ago, and just realized I didn't want it closed any longer.

My finish is a LONG ways away, but I'm sure we'll cross paths plenty of times. Thanks!

My time so far, slow build kits:
Tail kit 310
Wings 408
Fuse 730
Finish/FFWD 880

Some of that time is doing my own upholstery, and I did all the wiring/avionics myself (parts/schematics from Stein). Left to do is roll servo, bottom wing skins and wingtips, then mount wings/tail surfaces and get ready for DAR...

==dave==
N102FM

Personally, I wouldnt worrry about the hours. There is a beginning, and if you stay with it, you and your family will be proud owners of an awsome airplane in the end. Have faith in your building ability, forgive yourself quickly when you make mistakes, and absorb those times when it all just went perfect. The resource and knowledge of all the people here, along with the many logs floating around on the internet will help keep you on the tracks. Most of all, enjoy it. What you will be doing dates all the way back to the Wright Brothers and all the early pioneer builders. How awesome is that.

Journey not how many hours

I built my plane in 4 years. Kit #1 in one month #2 a few months, 3# a few more months Finish kit way over 1 year, Panel and interior build another year. I kept a log of hours, for my repairmen certificate, otherwise I loved the journey. The kit isnt what will cost the most, but the engine choice, prop and panel. All three of these can wait until the end (especially the panel). The finishing touches, like windows, canopy and paint prep, interior and wiring will take time and there will be little to show for it except the dwindling budget.
Sounds like you and me had the same initial wait and excitement to start a project. I never regretted the time spent building and never was in a rush to fly. I built the best plane "I" wanted and did it with time versus money. Enjoy the journey and expect that you MUST work on the plane every week or it will take a long time, work on finishing a page and write how long it took, otherwise dont fret the hours. Do plan on ordering the next kit 1-2 months before finishing the kit your working on.
Set a budget and always be ahead of that budget, I had it planned before I started and knew when I could move on to the next stage, my speed and "improvements" always worked around the planned budget, never stressed it and always had time to add another layer of resin to the canopy and make it that much more smooth before I ordered the engine.
Best of success! I hope you enjoy building your plane as much as i did.
Pascal

time time and more time shall be spent my son

I ordered my kit in 1993and I am building the QB fuse now with wings built and empennage checked off.

Sound like a long time? It is but along the way, moves, divorces, job loss etc. etc

So here is my skinny on it, if you count only build hours as hands on riveting, pulling, clecoing etc...... then I would say 1500 to 1800 hrs for the RV 7 is right on with 40% wings, 30 % fuse and the rest just finishing and preparing for first flight.

However, the kit is poor in that many things are hidden in drawings that are numerous, manuals that are not very self explanatory and so you find yourself here thankfully pouring through archives, and posts to see what "the other guy" did. Hours spent this way I do not add up.

As for my comments above on "the kit is poor" I am reminded that the plane is 50% of the homebuilts at OSH and have about 9000 copies flying so take my opinion on that with a grain of salt..... it is My humble opinion though.

Good luck it is fun and next spring this bird will fly, so will yours

Welcome aboard. I'd blame Frank and Rusty equally. You're welcome to come by and see my build, that will make three 10's being built in almost the same neighborhood!

Lynn

Ha, hey Frank. Your plane was an excellent gateway, but it's not wholly your fault. It just simply helped open up Pandora's box. The box has always been there, I think I shut it up a long time ago, and just realized I didn't want it closed any longer.

My finish is a LONG ways away, but I'm sure we'll cross paths plenty of times. Thanks!

To balance the scale, the one I just finished took just over two years and four thousand hours. Including engine build, panel, all wiring, my own consoles, carpet, and paint.

Don't worry about counting the hours. It is pointless accounting. Just keep plugging away every day at something and you'll end up with an airplane in a few years. The biggest contributor to slowing down the build is to take a week off (or two). Annotate your build plans and instructions as you go, so you'll know where you left off. Otherwise you'll spend a whole night in the shop figuring it all out. The second biggest contributor to a slow build is deciding on things like engine/prop/avionics. With the -10 there is still lots of leeway in these areas. Have the funds ready and pull the trigger on all of the expensive items as soon as you need them. Otherwise, you will be looking for things to work on while you wait for them to arrive. Lastly, search the forums before every new area in the build and do your research before you start. It will save you lots of time and $ in mistakes. Don't be afraid to ask for help here. There are no dumb questions!

Good luck with your new project!

Andrew

When you get your kit and get started I would like to come over and see it. I live in DFW area and am thinking about building. Let me know if and when I could stop over and see the kit.

Thanks. And congratulations on taking this big step.

Tim

I guess i am a fast builder based on times people are posting.

Empanage - 101
Wings - 260
Fuselage (not done yet) - 143

It has been 1.5 years since i started.

One and a half wives. :eek: (this has turned out to be all too true for many!)

Track your time for FAA purposes and, my FSDO said I could count them towards A&P practical experience. I don't add them up on any regular basis though, or the $ expenditures!

Back