What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Flying in to Lake Tahoe Airport - KTVL

roadrunner20

Well Known Member
I'd like to get some local opinions on flying in to KTVL. I'll be flying out there in a couple weeks.

Any winds to be of any concern coming from outside the bowl?

I plan on the approach from the east with a straight in for 18.
Looks like preferred 18 inbound / 36 on departure.

I normally fly in from the west and have a hard time picking up the weather until I am within 5 mi due to the hills but it might be better from the East. The winds should determine your runway (as I am sure you know). The FBO there will contact you when you land to get your intentions.

Dan,

Generally an RV can handle either runway but typical arrival is on 18 and departure on 36 unless winds dictate otherwise. Coming from the east, be sure to monitor Minden frequency, as there are a lot of gliders in the area.

Cheers,
Greg

I normally fly in from the west and have a hard time picking up the weather until I am within 5 mi due to the hills but it might be better from the East. The winds should determine your runway (as I am sure you know). The FBO there will contact you when you land to get your intentions.

Thanks. I?ll be flying up from mammoth on the eastern side of the Sierras. I was looking for any known areas for down drafts or shear coming in. I know enough about mountain waves to be on alert & staying away from high winds.
I suppose coming in from the west, you just drop it in?

Dan,

Generally an RV can handle either runway but typical arrival is on 18 and departure on 36 unless winds dictate otherwise. Coming from the east, be sure to monitor Minden frequency, as there are a lot of gliders in the area.

Cheers,
Greg

Thanks Greg. We haven?t chatted since I changed over to the tail wheel years ago. I?ll finally get my chance to do some backcountry on my way home to Florida via Johnson creek.

Mornings are the best time for flying in to Tahoe. Density altitude is real there especially if it is hot. Wind can get nasty in the afternoon also

Bob Grigsby
Building RV3B

KTVL

I'd like to get some local opinions on flying in to KTVL. I'll be flying out there in a couple weeks.

Any winds to be of any concern coming from outside the bowl?

I plan on the approach from the east with a straight in for 18.
Looks like preferred 18 inbound / 36 on departure.

Wherever you cross the mountains, be sure to give lots of clearance for the wind coming over the ridges. Earlier in the mornings are better. If the winds are reported at more than 15 or 20 over the ridges I stay very far away... From Mammoth you'd probably be coming up the East side, so give them lots of berth, maybe 10 miles, and make the cut over right around Minden. Watch out for gliders.

But the nice thing is that KTVL is almost always 18 for landing, so just get yourself over the lake, then descend down and straight in. The airport is in a pretty clear area at the South tip of the lake, and you can see it for miles from across the lake.

Also, be aware that with the shelter at home order, Mammoth in particular is really not welcoming right now. "We're asking anyone who is not a primary resident of Mammoth Lakes or providing essential services to our residents NOT to visit Mammoth Lakes for the time being.":
https://www.visitmammoth.com/covid-resources

South Lake Tahoe is "encouraging visitors who are considering vacationing there to put those plans on hold":
https://www.cityofslt.us/1075/COVID-19

South Lake Tahoe has $1000 fines in place for people the rent short-term rentals (AirBnB) (both the owner and renter.)

Best of luck with your planned trip. I've flown over Tahoe quite a few times, landed at KTVL & Truckee, and it is strikingly beautiful every time.

Wherever you cross the mountains, be sure to give lots of clearance for the wind coming over the ridges. Earlier in the mornings are better. If the winds are reported at more than 15 or 20 over the ridges I stay very far away... From Mammoth you'd probably be coming up the East side, so give them lots of berth, maybe 10 miles, and make the cut over right around Minden. Watch out for gliders.

But the nice thing is that KTVL is almost always 18 for landing, so just get yourself over the lake, then descend down and straight in. The airport is in a pretty clear area at the South tip of the lake, and you can see it for miles from across the lake.

Also, be aware that with the shelter at home order, Mammoth in particular is really not welcoming right now. "We're asking anyone who is not a primary resident of Mammoth Lakes or providing essential services to our residents NOT to visit Mammoth Lakes for the time being.":
https://www.visitmammoth.com/covid-resources

South Lake Tahoe is "encouraging visitors who are considering vacationing there to put those plans on hold":
https://www.cityofslt.us/1075/COVID-19

South Lake Tahoe has $1000 fines in place for people the rent short-term rentals (AirBnB) (both the owner and renter.)

Best of luck with your planned trip. I've flown over Tahoe quite a few times, landed at KTVL & Truckee, and it is strikingly beautiful every time.

Thanks Kevin for the info. I don't plan on staying in Mammoth or Lake Tahoe. I'll just be continuing my PCT Hike to Canada from where I left off last year. My permit has me starting there. Just taking my gear & getting back on trail.

PCT

Thanks Kevin for the info. I don't plan on staying in Mammoth or Lake Tahoe. I'll just be continuing my PCT Hike to Canada from where I left off last year. My permit has me starting there. Just taking my gear & getting back on trail.

Sweet! Boy, hiking the PCT is on my list for sure. I've done pieces of it just hiking the Sierras. The John Muir Trail out of Mammoth is incredible, stopping at Thousand Islands Lake. My kids are too young for that right now (10 and 6) but in a few years I'd certainly drop my plans for the summer and see how far we could make it. Best of luck with that trip!

If wind/traffic require you to land north or depart south, downwind is east for both runways. The terrain below the downwind leg is noticeably higher than the runway. This may require you flying a bit further south prior to turning base, or delaying cross wind slightly if departing rw 18. An RV should have no problem departing rw 18 (lean as appropriate for density altitude) but if for some reason there is insufficient climb rate, there is a golf course south and slightly west of the airport, that affords a place to circle and climb. On departure from rw36, a slight left turn (obvious) will keep you over the lowest terrain, and also clear of houses, all the way to the shoreline.
+1. I’ve camped at thousand islands lake, and it is a beautiful spot.

Last edited:
The good thing is you are in an RV! In lower performance airplanes when taking off on runway 18 you need to follow the stream to the golf course and circle to gain altitude. The runway is plenty long. When landing on runway 18 there is always a down draft on short final so I always land a little long. Since you are coming in from the west you will probably cross over Kingsbury grade then you just fly over the lake and line up with the runway.

Last edited:
Resurrecting this thread, does anyone on this forum have a hangar at TVL? I'll be there soon and would like somewhere to park the RV, even if it's just for 1 night before I depart so that I have somewhere to plug in the engine pre-heater. Happy to pay for the privilege!

Back