What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Data Plate Info

Davepar

Well Known Member
Data plate / dataplate required fields?

I bought the EAA registration kit a while back and just realized they included a data plate in there with only 3 fields: builder, model, serial#. That's nice and simple, but is that really all that's required?? Just want to confirm before I get it engraved and installed. Thanks.

Like Gary says, That's all that's required. But be aware, the information must EXACTLY match the information on your registration. Including the same format, i.e. last name first, etc.

Thanks Gary and Mel. I heard about the exact match issue, so I copied it right off the registration form.

The other data plates I found have all sorts of info on them, builder address, empty weight, etc. It's nice this one has the bare minimum, so I can get it engraved and installed now.

Dave

same order

Mel, your telling me if the builder name is listed on the registration

Doe John Lee

Last,1st, middle

You will fail it, if the dataplate says

John Lee Doe

Danny..

We have been somewhat "forgiving" of the last name first format, but at the last FAA recurrent training seminars, we have been told to make sure that the format is correct.

Yep... that's the case here in Atlanta recently. Our DAR has been very picky about that. So make sure it matches the registration EXACTLY!

I couldn't convince him I had three first names since my name is Scott E. Will. Will let ya'll figure out what the E is. But there was a king across the pond with that name.

data plate

Mine is already installed , cost me 40 bucks to lazer the stuff on it..
It would be easier to change the reg with faa I think.. thats crazy..

Danny..

Last edited:
Mel said:
We have been somewhat "forgiving" of the last name first format, but at the last FAA recurrent training seminars, we have been told to make sure that the format is correct.
What if the builder isn't the same person who registers/owns the airplane?!

I can DEFINITELY see the need for the Model and Serial # to be identical, with no exceptions. But the name? I donna geddit.

Dan,
What goes on the data plate is the name of the builder, not the owner.
The builder is always listed on the registration.
This has always been the rule, it is just being more strickly enforced now.
I agree with your point that if the builder's name is obvious, the order of the words shouldn't matter. That's why we have been "forgiving" in the past. But we have been told to "enforce" the rule, and we are obligated to do as they say. Otherwise we take the chance of loosing our DAR.

Last edited:
Dataplate / data plate fields question

It is time to take my data plate to the engravers and I have one question.

Since I don't really know what month it will fly in, can I just put the date of manufacture down as 2007 and leave the month off?

The date is not a required item on the plate, so you can put down anything, or nothing!

Just did mine, I used 2007!

FAR 45.13

Sec. 45.13

Identification data.

(a) The identification required by Sec. 45.11 (a) and (b) shall include the following information:
(1) Builder's name.
(2) Model designation.
(3) Builder's serial number

There is more in the FAR but as a DAR, I can tell you that the above three items are all that is needed on your Amateur Built Experimantal data plate.

One word of caution. Make sure that the info on the data plate matches the info on the registration card (8050-3) that you get from Oklahoma City. The info on the registration card (8050-3) must match all your paperwork. Program Letter, Application for Airworthiness (8130-6), and your notorized Eligibility Statement (8130-12).

Thanks for the comments.

I bought the VAF data plate from Van's and it has a section for the DoM, thus I will fill it out. Since it isn't required and I expect (pray) it will be flying soon, I'll just put 2007 on it and call it a day.

The other fields will be exactly as the FAA paperwork requires.

Just to clear up, the date of manufacture is normally considered to be the date of airworthiness certification. This is what will show up on the FAA registration website. But again it is not required on the data plate and "really" doesn't matter. Just the year is a good compromise.

VAF data plate question

It's about time to engrave my Vans Air Force data plate I received for Christmas.

Question: What is the proper data to put in the DATE MANUFACTURED field?
APRIL 2008, APRIL 25, 2008, or just 2008?

AC20-27F refers to the basic name, model and serial number data plate only.

Thanks all,
Steve

The only "required" information is the make (builder), model, and serial number. These 3 items must be EXACTLY as shown on the registration. Other information is optional. Normally the manufacture date is the date of the airworthiness issuance. It can be month/year, or even just the year.

Quick Reply Please

My Registration shows a "Manufacturer's Designation of Aircraft".

The 8130-6:
Section I Block 2 calls for "Aircraft Builder's Name"
Section I, Block 3 calls for "Aircraft Model/ Designation"

And the data Plate has:
Name
Model
S/N

My Manufacture's Designation on Registration is "Piavis RV-7", so that that become the Aircraft Model/ Designation and Model on the other artifacts?

Jim

KISS

The only "required" information is the make (builder), model, and serial number.
Consistent with the criteria that Mel knows well, the steel data plate riveted under the empennage on my (now sold) C-150 simply reads:

Cessna 150F
S/N 15064507

I'm not sure why we want to announce to the world via our fancy data plates what the engine, registration, mfg. date, and gross weight happens to be. :confused:

If someone came up with a VAF data plate strictly meeting the regs....I'd buy it!

Full names?

Dan,
What goes on the data plate is the name of the builder, not the owner.
The builder is always listed on the registration.
This has always been the rule, it is just being more strickly enforced now.
I agree with your point that if the builder's name is obvious, the order of the words shouldn't matter. That's why we have been "forgiving" in the past. But we have been told to "enforce" the rule, and we are obligated to do as they say. Otherwise we take the chance of loosing our DAR.

Mel... is a full name required?

My last plane was just an "ALEXANDER" - as long as the names match with the registration, is that still OK? ...or is the FAA now being more specific?

gil A

PS ... Mr. Cessna or Mr. Piper don't use their full names....:)

That's a later DEA plate....

Consistent with the criteria that Mel knows well, the steel data plate riveted under the empennage on my (now sold) C-150 simply reads:

Cessna 150F
S/N 15064507

I'm not sure why we want to announce to the world via our fancy data plates what the engine, registration, mfg. date, and gross weight happens to be. :confused:

If someone came up with a VAF data plate strictly meeting the regs....I'd buy it!

Rick... I bet that was not the original factory data plate, but one added in the 80's as part of the DEA "anti-drug" labeling requirements. This new one had to be external. Your Cessna 150F probably has a more detailed data plate somewhere inside, detailing such stuff as the Type Certificate it was made under.

When the DEA rule came out, IIRC the original plate could be moved externally, or a "make/model/serial" plate added externally.

Our homebuilts only require the external fireproof plate...

gil A

Mel... is a full name required?

My last plane was just an "ALEXANDER" - as long as the names match with the registration, is that still OK? ...or is the FAA now being more specific?

gil A

PS ... Mr. Cessna or Mr. Piper don't use their full names....:)
The name must match whatever is on the registration. If the registration says "Jones" then that's all that's required. If the registration says "Jones John J", then that's what the data plate must say. They HAVE backed off lately and said that "John J Jones" would be acceptable, but not just "Jones".
We discussed this at the last recurrent seminar in March of this year.

Last edited:
Model ??

I know this has been brought up before but is there a down side to making the Model something other then a Vans Model number?

If I do use a Van's Model, do most people use "Vans RV-x" or just "RV-x"

Most people use "RV-X". Using a "different" model makes it more difficult for the tax man to determine "market value."
Only downside could come from insurance company. However my insurance considers mine as a standard RV -6.
My airplane is an A&M-6. It was the 6th airplane built by Ann & Mel. And BTW, it's 15 years old today.

Comma

I just got mine back and the engraver put a comma in it. The registration doesn't.

SMITH, JOHN D (Plate)

SMITH JOHN D (Registration)

Have I got an issue with the inspector????

BTW - not really a big deal. The engraver was a trophy shop and the diamond bit they used is too fine in my opinion. A redo is just a few bucks.

Should Not Be A Problem...

You inspector should consider the comma minor.
I can't imagine anyone gigging you for that. But, Who knows?

Data Plate REQUIREMENTS:

Required date plate information is:
Make (builder, exactly as shown on registration)
Model (exactly as shown on registration)
Serial Number (exactly as shown on registration)

All other information is optional.

Data plate must be of fireproof material and the information engraved, stamped, or by a method that it will not be destroyed by fire.

Do you mean, how did we mark it or what did we put on it?

I had mine engraved by a guy that makes trophies.....

Originally I was going to put the VAF one on but the one that came in the EAA kit was smaller so I changed my mind and was going to use that one. When I took off the protective tape, most of the silkscreen came with it......So I ended up using the VAF plate...

The data on the plate has to match the registration exactly....

Here is a pic:

o7u6hc.jpg

I have the same data plates (VAF) and an EAA one. The eaa one is pretty lame. I hadn't thought about taking it to a trophy shop. Yours looks perfect Brantel.

How did you settle on your "mfg date"? As Mel said, it's optional, but I think it would be pretty cool.

Technically the manufactured date is the date of certification, however many people just use the month and year. Your choice.

I had mine done with the same date as the inspection....I guess there is a risk that you may not pass but.....I took the risk...

If you plan to use the EAA one, make sure the tape does not peel off the paint!!!

Is the serial number the same as our Van's kit/builder number?
Tom H.

Not in all cases. If you built the plane, as manufacturer, you are free to make up your own unique model and serial number if you wish - it is not required that you call it a Vans RV-7A, SN12345 for example. Mine is a "Beckham 1", 001. And no, this did not impact my insurance in any way. I specifically asked my carrier this question before signing on.

regards

erich

Erich is correct. My airplane is an "A&M-6" (Ann and Mel's 6th airplane.) Serial # is 92006. (I thought that I would be finished in 1992 instead of '93.)
My insurance is the same as an RV-6.

Not in all cases. If you built the plane, as manufacturer, you are free to make up your own unique model and serial number if you wish - it is not required that you call it a Vans RV-7A, SN12345 for example. Mine is a "Beckham 1", 001. And no, this did not impact my insurance in any way. I specifically asked my carrier this question before signing on.

My serial number is 001 also. It's been mentioned that Van's would have a hard time sending out any info, to this particular number.............but I didn't care to date the plane, as it's an RV6A completed in 2008. As a model, mine does say RV-6A.

L.Adamson

Can you still buy those cool VAF data plates?

Couldn't find it in the VAF store... but I am blind without my glasses. ;)

Harbor Freight 1/8" Steel Stamp set

With proper care you can do this job just fine with a steel stamp set from Harbor Freight. Of course you can screw it up as well but if you don't like it you don't have to mount it until you get what you like. This is really a utility job. I did use the kit serial number on mine but I knew I didn't have any such restriction - it just helps me remember my builder #. The number I saw hand printed on the kit components received from Van's was actually #2499 whatever that means.

Bob Axsom

I have what might be a silly question, but here goes...

Why would you put all that extra information on the data plate, and what happens if (when) it changes? I mean things like empty weight, engine horsepower, builder's address (which I wouldn't put on there if only for privacy reasons, although I know all about the weird web sites with pictures of planes and downloaded FAA data), etc.

If you move, do you have to put on a new data plate? Are you stuck forever with the empty weight you put on the original? :)

I'm planning on taking a small piece of stainless steel to a local trophy shop and having them engrave the *bare minimum* of info on it. I got a quote for something like $30 or $40 bucks (and even that may be too high, but it's in the noise as far as expenses go at this point).

I am sure you are aware I can copy down your N number, and get the FAA to furnish me all that information and more. It is public information who you are and where you live. Once I have that, I can even go and find out what kind of license you have to fly it even.

Technically the manufactured date is the date of certification, however many people just use the month and year. Your choice.

Is just the year OK, or does it have to have the month there?

If I have an Aerosport O-320-D2A, do I need to include "Aerosport" or just the "O-320-D2A"? Do I need to have an "X" after it in either case, like Brantel does or just what's on the engine data plate?

Is just the year OK, or does it have to have the month there?

If I have an Aerosport O-320-D2A, do I need to include "Aerosport" or just the "O-320-D2A"? Do I need to have an "X" after it in either case, like Brantel does or just what's on the engine data plate?

You don't have to have ANY of that information on the data plate. As long as the Make, Model, and Serial Number match the registration, anything else is "your choice".

I choose to have the serial number and the model number to be identical. Any prohibition to doing that?

Back