What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

AEIO-540 vs IO-540

gfb

Well Known Member
So... there's a 0 time 540 on the classifieds for a good price that had peeked my interest.
Do I care that it's an AEIO instead of an IO?
What should I be asking about on this engine to confirm it's good?
Will any of the engine shops do a thorough inspection for me? i.e. can I get it shipped to Ly-Con?

Thanks!

SSP-110-2 is your friend.

It lists an AEIO-540-D4A5 as "Same as IO-540-D4A5 but is equipped with Aerobatic kit." You'll probably need to swap the dry sump and inverted oil system for conventional sump to make it fit in the -10.

Thanks. Any idea what the parts in the "aerobatic kit" are? I'm searching for a parts diagram showing this with no luck.

If I have to replace the sump anyway, is there a cold air induction option for the 540/rv10 that fits?

Yeah I'm not sure either. The Aerobatic Kit is Lycoming p/n 05K22446 best I can tell but I can't find an itemized list. I'm not 100% sure it's a dry sump either (it's called out for the A prefix but not the AE).

Hopefully someone else can pipe up and clarify or the seller can help you out. It's a pretty darn good deal for a 0ttsn engine, assuming it's legit! I wish I was closer to needing an engine or I'd be considering it as well.

Is this one of the engines that was surplused a while back by the Italian military? As I remember, there were 2 or 3 available that had been delivered in the 80's, then mothballed before being sold here in the states. There were ads for these a while back, I seem to remember that this one was one of those engines but you would have to verify that with the seller to know for sure.

If it is a '80s engine, what should I be looking out for? Does it need a teardown?

still blows my mind we are dealing with motors like this, why has technology not advanced further. I hate the thought of building a nice advanced RV-10 and putting an IO on it. Seems like with the popularity of the experimental there would be a market for it.

AEIO-540-D4A5 is the same as the IO-540-D4A5. The AE comes with the aerobatic kit which is the christian inverted oil system.

And its a normal wet sump, BTW.

A = dry sump
AE = aerobatic engine

Adept

still blows my mind we are dealing with motors like this, why has technology not advanced further. I hate the thought of building a nice advanced RV-10 and putting an IO on it. Seems like with the popularity of the experimental there would be a market for it.

The most well developed alternative is the Adept V6 which has been under development and testing for over 15 years. https://flyadept.co.za/

It doesn't have the track record or support of Lycomings but nothing new will and anything new is risky of course.

Production finally started in late 2020 and first deliveries are taking place now.

They seem to have secured funding to see this through and are organizing support in the USA now.

They aren't cheaper than Lycomings either...

Back