What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

USB port (resettable)?

seagull

Well Known Member
Today when I rolled out to take off I plugged in my phone to the USB port to charge and it would not charge. During the flight of 20 minutes I checked the fuses and tried another phone, no joy. I landed had breakfast and flew home, again checking the USB port on warm up and now it is working. I have never had a problem with it before. Any ideas?

If it’s a USB port connected to your electronics, it probably did shut off and reset.
Spec for USB-A is only 500mah, many devices disable the port if that is exceeded to prevent damage.
I’d recommend a USB adapter for your auxiliary power port, it will provide more power safely and charge your devices quicker. Look for one QC or PD (fast charge protocols).

It has been my experience that the charging cables become intermittent at times. Some times on my Ipad/ Iphone, when it fails to charge, I can turn the connector 180 degrees, slide it back in the phone, and it will charge.

My experience: I have a large collection of failed cables, but only a few failed chargers...

It has been my experience that the charging cables become intermittent at times. Some times on my Ipad/ Iphone, when it fails to charge, I can turn the connector 180 degrees, slide it back in the phone, and it will charge.

My experience: I have a large collection of failed cables, but only a few failed chargers...

Over the years, I've had intermittent charging on my iPhones from time to time and each time, I got a wooden toothpick and gently cleaned out the lint and dust from the lightning port and then the cable that would not charge worked worked fine. The lint prevents the cable from seating in the port fully.

Last edited:
The port was aftermarket and between the seats on the front of the pedestal.
I will need to research the mfg, maybe it is self re-settable.

The problem was not lint although I am aware of that issue. I had tried 2 different phones and an Ipad, none worked but all worked on the next flight.

Same charge cord with all those devices? The classic cord failure I have had often is it fails to charge then works. Over time it gets worse until I toss the cord. New one solves the problem. Many aftermarket cords have a very short life.

Same charge cord with all those devices? The classic cord failure I have had often is it fails to charge then works. Over time it gets worse until I toss the cord. New one solves the problem. Many aftermarket cords have a very short life.

Two different cords were tried, and flipped, and neither worked but both worked on the next flight.

Back