What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

G3X "Traffic Input Failed"

iamtheari

Well Known Member
I am continuing to troubleshoot my new G3X Touch panel. I have almost all the red X's in the configuration mode gone. One that persists does not appear in the documentation or any online search I have tried.

If I boot my PFD in configuration mode and choose System Information, the TRFC item between the transponder and Vertical Power lines has a red X on it. When I select it, the window on the right side is captioned "Traffic Input Info" and has the text "Traffic Input Failed" in it. Nothing else displayed.

My best guess is that this could be because I don't have a GPS position fix on the GTN 650 or the G3X because I am working inside the hangar where it is warm. But I am wondering if anyone else has seen this error and has any information about it, since any cause other than lack of GPS position fix is something I want to take care of before I close up the panel.

Your guess is correct. Once you have a solid GPS signal/position on the GTN, the traffic red-x should go away.

Has anyone seen the "Traffic Input Failed" error, where having a good GPS fix did not solve it? Currently observing the red X next to TRFC in G3X's configuration mode, with the "Traffic Input Failed" message displayed once that line is highlighted. In normal mode, the G3X traffic display does not work.

Relevant equipment: GTX 45R transponder, GPS 20A GNSS receiver, GDU 460 PFD.

Strangely enough, when I connect the GDU display to the GTX transponder using Bluetooth, the traffic display suddenly works. This seems to indicate a wiring problem, but not sure which connection to start diagnosing.

Check settings...

Put the G3X Touch into configuration mode, select the RS-232 ports and make sure that there is a Green Check next to each port *and* the port is configured for the correct receive/send data format (Garmin Inst, Garmin Data, Connext, etc.) for the device that is connected.

For the GTX 345, 45R, and similar - I recall having to do a little setup/configuration magic on it as well; RS-232 set correctly, HSDB set correctly, FIS-B enabled, Altitude Src, Position Src (GPS), Integrty (1E-7), ADSB- parameters for ownship (Light, <300kt, length, width, 1090ES control, 1090ES in capable, UAT in capable, ADSB-in processing...)

Yea, all the green checkmarks are there, and the 45R is configured. I think my next step is an E-mail to g3xpert.

Did you set the 232 ports to connext fmt 1 in the xpdr setup screen?
ref page 27-35 for all the settings.

Yep, all the RS-232 ports are configured correctly and I see all the other expected green checkmarks. I've fired off an E-mail to Garmin's g3xpert. I'll take it up with them as a support ticket at this point.

Traffic Input Failed

As far as checking the wiring, the datapath of interest is going to be an RS232 connection from one of the 5 GDU RS232 ports to RS232 port 2, 3 or 4 on the GTX 45R. The RS232 ports of the GTX 45R are programmed in the Transponder menu on the G3X Touch display, in configuration mode. Do you have the relevant GTX 45R port there programmed to CONNEXT FMT 1? The corresponding setting on the G3X Touch side of the connection will be CONNEXT 57600 Baud.

Thanks,

Justin

Thanks, Justin! I've sent the gory details to the g3xpert@ address. Let's follow up there. I've got the GTX wired to both GDU displays and configured as CONNEXT FMT 1 and CONNEXT 57600 Baud.

To close this one: I root caused my particular problem to mis-pinned RS-232 connections between the GTX and the GDU units. Swapped the transponder's RX with signal ground for both displays. The GTX 45R's "XPDR FAIL 1" pin is still being driven active-low, but I will be ignoring that unless other transponder issues are observed.

And to really close this thread: In case anyone encounters the "XPDR FAIL 1" problem in the future. This was resolved by a Garmin Dealer, who had the special software needed to update the GTX's software and run diagnostics. Their software also allows for additional configuration not provided to the pilot/installer: They were able to "assign" the Garmin's failure output to the pin 17 from within their software's configuration page. I peeked at the software as he was doing his work, and it contains many configuration and setup options that are not available to end users.

I think it would be much better if Garmin made this software generally available. I don't know why, but it bugs me that the rest of the G3X system is very nice and fully configurable by the pilot/installer, but the GTX transponder requires magical dealer-only software :(.

Hope this helps someone in the future if they decide to wire the GTX's pin 17 diagnostic discreet up to the G3X.

Back