What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Will/Can Garmin make a remote NAV

I would have loved that option when I was planning out my system, but I don't believe it exists. Since I was going with a IFR GPS anyway, I went with a GTN650 to get the nav.

I believe the SL30 contains the internal software (all commands passed thru RS232 lines) necessary to completely control it remotely. But I don’t know of any current efis or other box that has the corresponding software.

I believe the SL30 contains the internal software (all commands passed thru RS232 lines) necessary to completely control it remotely. But I don’t know of any current efis or other box that has the corresponding software.

The Advanced Flight Systems 5600 can remote tune the SL-30 including frequencies, OBS and flip-flop. Don't know if it can handle all the functions however (probably not).

Doesn't the G3X control it?

From the Garmin site:
"For complete IFR-approach compatibility, customers can pair the G3X Touch with a variety of Garmin GPS navigators and Nav/Comms, including the new GPS 175/GNX 375, GTN 650/750, GNS™ 430W/530W, GNS 480, SL 30/40, and GNC® 255."

Nav ? GPS?

For remote Nav, I assume you are NOT talking about a GPS but rather a VOR/LOC/ILS stuff?
I would use a GNC255; and you get a second Comm for free. I have one, great little package, but not flying yet. It picks up the localizer in my hangar!!!

For remote Nav, I assume you are NOT talking about a GPS but rather a VOR/LOC/ILS stuff?
I would use a GNC255; and you get a second Comm for free. I have one, great little package, but not flying yet. It picks up the localizer in my hangar!!!

But:
GNC255 is listed at $4126 (no harness). I consider this way overpriced.
The MGL option (remote nav, remote comm and a control head for each) is at $1960.

Not a trivial savings.

I’m thinking this would pair well with the Garmin GNC355.

In a perfect world Dynon would offer their own NAV/Comm - I’m still holding out for this but the clock is ticking on how long I can wait.

For me the Dynon Nav/Comm is first choice. If not Dynon, then the Trig NAV/Comm is on the list along with this MGL option. The Garmin GNC255 is a hard no.

Carl

MGL

I installed this with the Razor head on my G3X and it has very basic functionality allowing me to get the green LOC and vertical guidance on the G3X. The station ID Morse decoder has never worked, frequencies must be input manually into the Razor Head, the bearing is controlled from the G3X once the frequency is entered. With VORs disappearing all over the country, this may work for you as a backup system.

I tried to get MGL tech support to help me resolve the issue with the Morse code and gain more features but, they stoped returning my calls and I ran out of time and patience with them. The integration with the G3X is minimal, but functional. I just listen to the code on my radio, manually set up the frequency, manually switch from GPS to ILS/VOR. This system has a higher pilot workload than going with the Garmin solution. I am working on my IFR certificate and this basic setup will work for my check ride.

Totally spoiled on the way the GTN unit transitions automatically from GPS to an ILS, if you can afford it you won't regret it I assure you. Another one of the features I couldn't live without now is VNAV step downs, just set the altitude you want to be at in the flt plan and arm the VNAV :D

Back