What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

What smoke system? RV-8

AV8ER

Well Known Member
Waiting for some QB parts to come in the mail next year and doing a bit of research so I can have the loose ends tied up and sitting on my shelf before the big truck shows up. That said I have not seemed to find a definitive "best" smoke system. My VAF searches have yielded the Smoke System Helper and not much else. Are the majority of smokers using home brew systems? Other branded systems?

Common points seem to be put the hole in the exhaust as close to the engine as possible ideally 8" or so away from the cylinder or right after the header brings all the pipes together.

0.2 GPM at 80ish psi seems to work per tube.

I'm sure there is a lot of information I have not found yet. Please point me in the right direction!

Thanks,

Tim

I installed the kit from smoke system helper in my already built RV4 and have been really happy with it. It's a very complete kit and made for a professional looking install.

Attachments

• F4691CAC-B8C7-4DB3-96EC-1C38F1062B98.png
    F4691CAC-B8C7-4DB3-96EC-1C38F1062B98.png
    914.1 KB · Views: 154
Second for the .........

Smoke System Helper! I used the "Forward Baggage" mounted tank. It works great!!!!! Easy to fill. Easy to remove if needed. I have never taken mine out,...... Just buy more smoke oil!!!!!!!

Attachments

• Take Off Smoke.jpg
    Take Off Smoke.jpg
    239.4 KB · Views: 178
Smoke System Helper! I used the "Forward Baggage" mounted tank. It works great!!!!! Easy to fill. Easy to remove if needed. I have never taken mine out,...... Just buy more smoke oil!!!!!!!

Thanks guys.

Do you have any pictures of the tank installed in the forward baggage well? I am curious how much of that space it fills? Also, with 4 gallons, how long can you make smoke? My reading is saying something like 0.5 gallons a minute?

I also have a Smoke System Helper system in my 8 but in the rear baggage compartment. You might want to wait till you know your weight and balance before you decide on front or rear location. I was a little nose heavy and the smoke system put me right where I wanted to be.

Otherwise works great.

Oliver

Smoke System Helper

I had the other company's system in the previous -8 and worked well. This time around I went with Smoke System Helper (when still owned by Marvin) and the kit was great
Installed the tank in the forward baggage well and made a cover for it...so when all said and done, the forward baggage is just a flat shelf. No CG issues with full or empty tank (IO 375/Hartzell Composite/EarthX battery on firewall. The only thing that had to be ordered extra was the manifold for the four pipe exhaust (not required, but desired). I've tested the system now for a few hours and there is no dribble which can be a problem.
The pictures show tank in the well, pump mounted on inside of firewall (below baggage shelf), and the cover for the tank...still unfinished.

Attachments

• 61895600540__08DE6472-EB4A-4548-98B9-4434A6718E74.jpg
    61895600540__08DE6472-EB4A-4548-98B9-4434A6718E74.jpg
    342.3 KB · Views: 264
  • IMG_0887.jpg
    IMG_0887.jpg
    462.7 KB · Views: 216
  • IMG_0886.jpg
    IMG_0886.jpg
    410 KB · Views: 238
  • IMG_0885.jpg
    IMG_0885.jpg
    368.4 KB · Views: 212
  • IMG_0884.jpg
    IMG_0884.jpg
    363.8 KB · Views: 219
I had the other company's system in the previous -8 and worked well. This time around I went with Smoke System Helper (when still owned by Marvin) and the kit was great
Installed the tank in the forward baggage well and made a cover for it...so when all said and done, the forward baggage is just a flat shelf. No CG issues with full or empty tank (IO 375/Hartzell Composite/EarthX battery on firewall. The only thing that had to be ordered extra was the manifold for the four pipe exhaust (not required, but desired). I've tested the system now for a few hours and there is no dribble which can be a problem.
The pictures show tank in the well, pump mounted on inside of firewall (below baggage shelf), and the cover for the tank...still unfinished.

I saw the "(4) Injector Upgrade Kit" on the Helper website. Can anyone comment on how much "better" this makes the smoke? Its hard to have a quantifiable answer to this but any real world experience would be nice to hear about.

Also to "end dribble" do most find that an electric solenoid works well or are check valves the norm?

Appreciate all the responses.

Takeaways thus far:

Calculate a hypothetical W&B for any planned changes from an existing -8 with a solid W&B with the same engine/prop/gear then decided where to mount the smoke tank front or rear as well as battery placement.

The Smoke System Helper seems to be a favorable system.

What size hose for the system? Is 1/4 sufficient? Or do I need to up it to 3/8? How long should the stainless hose portions be from the injectors in order to not have them melt

SSH for me, as well. Mounted the 5g Universal tank in my aft baggage and made it removable. Very happy with the system, and it can put out a tremendous amount of smoke!

That location helps with the cg, too.

Attachments

• a_SG_1404-1.png
    a_SG_1404-1.png
    2.9 MB · Views: 172
https://smokingairplanes.com is the other popular system out there. It came with my old RV-4. I liked the transparent tank but the system is heavier, only comes with 1 injector, and is more expensive than Smoke System Helper which seems to be the best bang for the buck out there right now.

4 Injectors...

...are only needed on the four pipe exhaust. If you only use two injectors with four pipes, then the smoke will not be as "solid" and will probably have the appearance of being a little broken up.

As far as dribble goes, I'd recommend just going with the stock system. The other system that I had would produce residual oil after shutting off, but not too bad. This system works well and so far there has been no residual flow (dribble). You can always add in a check valve if it's an issue...but keep it simple works well.

SSH Forward Baggage Kit

Easy to remove if you ever wanted it out.... Also, aircraft is weighed without the tank and pump installed but with all plumbing and hoses. Has a placard for addition to W&B when setup is installed, empty or full.... plus 10lbs empty, plus 40lbs full..... I have CS MT prop with stock IO-360 and rear mounted battery.. Also, tank is setup for acro.... non-vented cap and flop tube....

Attachments

• Smoke Oil Tank .jpg
    Smoke Oil Tank .jpg
    687.5 KB · Views: 128
Back