What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

airspeed indicator markings

Markings

Vne should be a red line on the airspeed or a placard on the instrument panel. Maximum flap extended speed white arc or panel placard.

Hmm. This inspired a web search, and the most concise page I found is this EAA page: https://www.eaa.org/eaa/aircraft-bu...-and-cabin-interior/markings-placards-numbers

I'll let y'all read it for yourselves, but my take is that airspeed markings for experimentals are not explicitly required However, FAR Order 8230.2D says to check markings at condition inspection. But FAR 91.9(b)(2) talks about "approved markings and placards."

My take? They're easy to put on, a real good idea, and will protect you from FAA mischief downstream. And if your flight instruments are electronic, duck soup!

One of the DARs should be able to give a more reliable answer.

Most often forgotten is that if you add the range markings to the glass, you must have an anti-rotation mark extending from the glass to the bezel to show if the glass has rotated. I recommend doing this with the radial VNE mark.

Back