What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

add a autopilot?

avgas

I'm New Here
there is a rv12 close by for sale but no auto pilot,, how hard ($$$) would it be to add one?? thanks

maybe not too difficult

when i built mine, the mounting hardware and wiring were included. seems that you would just add the servos and associated control arms. last time i looked, the servo kits were around $1650'ish

there is a rv12 close by for sale but no auto pilot,, how hard ($$$) would it be to add one?? thanks

As I understand it that plane would have to be an EAB.

An E-LSA would have to match the factory S-LSA which has the autopilot installed. Unless it was built with autopilot, received its airworthiness certificate and later removed the servos in which case wiring and mounts should exist.

There are a number of options that can either be installed or not installed and still have an RV-12 qualify as E-LSA. That is why they are classified as options so that someone can choose whether to install them or not. A couple of others were wheel pants and external waiting for night flight.

As for the original question. The ease of installation of an auto pilot as a retrofit would depend on the vintage of the airplane. If it is equipped with dying on Skyview avionics it would be very simple to add the auto pilot. For the most part it just entails purchasing the two servos and installing them.

If the Airplane is equipped with Dynon D-180, it would require just a bit more effort but still not difficult.

Back