What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Paint Code

That is the paint scheme I used. The paint is PPG Deltron.
  • The dark color in the swoosh is Cyber Gray, Cinza Urban. Brand Code 920131, OEM Code WA637R,GBV,57,65,WA618U
  • The dark blue is Laser Blue. Brand Code 906336, OEM Code WA227M,21
  • The White is a tri-coat system, Snowflake White, Whitewater. Brand Code 5955, OEM Code 25D (Tri coat = Base Color + Pearl + Clearcoat, according to the Van’s painter I spoke with)
  • The Silver is Bright Silver. Brand Code 915741, OEM Code WS2,PS2

PPG Deltron is relatively expensive stuff. Go to your painter with the OEM codes and he/she should be able to make a color match to the brand of their choice. My painter used AzkoNobel Dynacoat; let me know if you want that info as well.

• The dark color in the swoosh is Cyber Gray, Cinza Urban. Brand Code 920131, OEM Code WA637R,GBV,57,65,WA618U
  • The White is a tri-coat system, Snowflake White, Whitewater. Brand Code 5955, OEM Code 25D (Tri coat = Base Color + Pearl + Clearcoat, according to the Van’s painter I spoke with)

PPG Deltron is relatively expensive stuff. Go to your painter with the OEM codes and he/she should be able to make a color match to the brand of their choice. My painter used AzkoNobel Dynacoat; let me know if you want that info as well.

Thanks Mac (and everyone else). The paint shop I'm planning to use paints with AzkoNobel product. That info is appreciated. That shade of blue is beautiful!

Is there a quality difference between PPG and AzkoNobel or why such a price difference? I've read that PPG aerospace paint is almost $1,500 per gallon!

Thanks Mac (and everyone else). The paint shop I'm planning to use paints with AzkoNobel product. That info is appreciated. That shade of blue is beautiful!

Is there a quality difference between PPG and AzkoNobel or why such a price difference? I've read that PPG aerospace paint is almost $1,500 per gallon!

How long does a car last before it's recycled? That's how long the paint needs to last for a car.

How long does an airplane last? Seen any Bonanza B35V's still flying or Mooney's or Cessna 150's, 152's or 172's? That's how long you hope aerospace paint lasts.

How long does a car last before it's recycled? That's how long the paint needs to last for a car.

How long does an airplane last? Seen any Bonanza B35V's still flying or Mooney's or Cessna 150's, 152's or 172's? That's how long you hope aerospace paint lasts.

Car sees salt in winter and is exposed to elements (parking lot 10 hours while at work). Airplane is in hanger something like 99% of time. Paint is happy...

Car sees salt in winter and is exposed to elements (parking lot 10 hours while at work). Airplane is in hanger something like 99% of time. Paint is happy...

The paint shop offers a second layer of clearcoat for an additional $2,000. They claim it adds more luster and also more protection. Is this true? Is it necessary? Paintwork is expensive already and this is more money but if it really makes a difference then I guess now is the time to do it.

It will also add weight. If you are hangaring it I would probably choose not to add the 2nd coat. But you may find the extra shine is worth $2,000.

If it has metallic, it's 2 stage paint, color or tint, and clear coat. Pearl has color, pearl and clear coat on top, usually 3 stage. Adds weight.

A 912 IS motor is already 25# heavier than a 912 ULS dual carb motor.

It all adds up, you could end up with a plane close to 790 or 800#. Doesn't leave alot for fuel, passengers and baggage at 1320#

Do you know where I can get the template or other information on paint scheme pattern?

I had asked Van's for the scheme but could not obtain it. So what I did was find as many pictures as I could from various sources on the internet, which provided several visual perspectives of the same/similar paint scheme. I then provided these to my painter who was able to mimic the design very closely. I'm very happy with it.

Back