What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

How to crash an RV

Webb

Well Known Member
Sponsor
There is a small publication that comes out called IFR Magazine. It is a great read and you learn something from it each month. Cheap for a year subscription compared to one flight lesson.

In the one that just came out, there was an article on emergency landing and I read it last night. Seems like the title was "How to crash a plane" or similiar.

The author brought up a couple points that are worth remembering and one of them goes hand in hand with the thread going on engine out - glide slope.

Point #1 - Crash it just above stall. Jets on the carrier deck decelerate at about 9 g's. Translate this to a GA plane and this is from 50 knots to 0 (it could have been mph but I think it was knots) in about 12 feet will give you 9 g's. As you double the speed, the distance quadruples. This means the 100 knot landing at 9 g's was 48 feet to stop the plane. Bottom line....take out a shed, small trees, cornfield, etc... as slow as you can if you can't find a clear space.

Point #2 - If you are going to stick it in the trees, don't do it 75-100 feet above the ground. Gravity will have you traveling towards mother earth at a high rate of descent. Seems like it was over 4,000 fpm (don't quote me on this number but you get the picture).

Point #3 - Ask yourself before you fly - "How and I going to crash today?". Point is, we don't practice crashing. Think about the loose stuff in the back of the plane that will impale you in the back of the skull that isn't tied down such as the tow bar.

Point #4 - Your palm at arms length is about a 10 degree reference. Spread the fingers out and that is about 20 degrees. Hold you hand out with fingers spread and check from the horizon. Most GA aircraft will glide to a point 20 degrees below the horizon with minimal wind. In an emergency situation, you will be able to pick up how far you can travel when you are making your landing spot. I personally think this tip is worth the price of subscription.

Thanks Webb

This is a great publication. Lots of info and very little "flash and fluff"

Keep flying until all the pieces stop.

hard landing

Crash is such a harsh word...... I prefer to refer to the event as a hard landing, hopefully to be able to use the plane again :)

It is what it is

Crash is such a harsh word...... I prefer to refer to the event as a hard landing, hopefully to be able to use the plane again :)

Harsh...maybe, but true. The article is quick to point out that we don't practice for crash landings. It talks about Crash Preflight and Flying to the Crash Site. The author speaks of living to tell the tale is all about preparation, speed control, and focus. Oh yeah, a lot of luck doesn't hurt either.

Hey - if you can use the plane again, it was a great landing.....the good one you can walk away from!!!

Keep practicing those engine out procedures. My flying partner loves to reach over and pull the throttle, look at me and declare - "your engine just died....whadda ya gonna do?". He doesn't do it at dangerous times, just at times when you least expect it. It might be downwind in the pattern, it might be at 3,500, it's when we go out and practice commercial manuvers.

A quick run through the ABC's, glide over to the area, steep spiral down, and when we know we have the area, power up, and move on. His favorite spot for this is near a private grass runway not far from our airport. Don't forget to clear the engine once or twice on the way down.

One thing it has taught me, when in the pattern, you become very aware of your airspeed and how far out you go. Can you make the runway or will you come up short?

Make it a game with your flying buddy. You'll be glad you did. Not long ago I was in a C172 about 9 miles out with him (I was PIC this time). The engine began to run rough and we headed immediately towards the airport. We looked at each other and got serious very quickly. Engine got worse and worse but we were able to maintain altitude (2,200) at the time. . We kept picking out our emergency sites on the way back since we were holding altitude. As we got within 2 miles, we began to lose some altitude. By the time we got back, the engine was barely running and we spiraled down to 500, dumped all flaps (40 degrees in this old bird) and pointed the nose at the end of runway. With that much flap, that old C172 doesn't pick up much speed on the way down. Funny part, it was the best landing all day. Turns out the #3 cylinder was DOA but we weren't.

Concerned - yes, Scared - no. Practice, practice, practice worse cases. It makes a difference in your response.

We high fived it once down and went back over our emergency...would we do anything different....answer was no.

You never have time to think of a crash, believe me, I've done one. When it happens you are instantly into what to do. You have no time to think about it. These are things I felt were the most important to be doing. The speed as low as possible for impact, wings level, and find the nearest tree and put a wing right into it, the smaller the tree the better. Yup I hit the tree into my right wing, uprooted the tree. How did I do, not a scratch, until I got out of the airplane and had a tree limb scratch my right arm.

Practice it

Schools have fire drills and we need crash drills.

Like I said, my flying buddy and I make it a game. First time he pulled the power on me, I would have caught the trees on final in a real situation.

Good info above. But I don't like the term "crash". That implies out of control or catastrophic and I never plan to do that. But forced landing - that's the plan.

He or she turned a potential crash into a controlled landing. he or she gets an A+ for that one.

Taxi to the ramp..hmmmm

Reminds me of the old joke - how do you know you forgot to put the gear down - it takes full thottle to get the plane to taxi.

Back