What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Stand Alone GPS for ACK E-04 ELT

Karetaker

Well Known Member
Howdy everyone. I have an ACK E-04 ELT installed in my -7. I have a GRT Safe-Fly 2020 GPS installed, but it's 3 serial ports are configured for other items and are not the required 9600 baud for the ELT. I am in need of a simple, stand alone GPS that can supply the required NMEA 0183 9600 baud to the ELT.

Suggestions/opinions?

Much obliged.

I also installed the ACK E04 ELT two years ago. I believe if you’ll look at the installation instructions you’ll see that you can adjust the baud rate that the ELT will accept by changing its pin settings.

That is true, but the other rates on the ELT are smaller and won't play with my current GPS configuration.

How critical are the other items? Can one of them be scaled down to 9600 without loss of life or limb?

Just because my car can activate the speed limiter, does not mean I always drive it there. :eek:

May want to check with some of the HAM Radio types.

I use a stand alone GPS for my 2-meter APRS tracker. It is inexpensive but only 4800 baud.

A DuckDuckGo search for GPS receiver 9600 baud did give a few hits. Would need to do more research but there may be something you can adapt.

Thanks guys. I'll look into scaling down a baud rate ...if that will make sense.

If not, those drone type GPS units may get more attention.

Back