What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Airpark home insurance

RV7Guy

Well Known Member
I live in a residential airpark in Chandler, AZ (P19). I recently changed insurance companies after a 40 year run with Farmers. Through a broker, I ended up with Progressive. A couple of months after the inspection I received a cancellation notice and a refund check. No reason was given. I contacted my broker who looked into the situation. He said that Progressive will not insure air park homes. No reason was given. Seems ridiculous.

A little background. The home is 2400 square feet with 1800 square feet attached hangar. 16 years old with an approximate value of $900K.

For those living in a residential air park what insurance company are you using?

Thanks in advance.

Farmers. When we built 7 years ago, our agent said that they did not cover airpark homes, I said I would move everything to another company and they reconsidered.

State Farm said no the first time I contacted them.

The second time I called I never mentioned the word "hangar" but used "pole building", "shop", "man cave", etc. They now have my email my insurance.

BTW, my plane insurance covers my hangar and contents.

State Farm....Said no problem from day one. Our agent has been to the house/hangar a few times to say hi.

Gary

Farmers for 18 years.

But my hangar is not attached, which might make a difference

The hangar is covered at a declared value as an accessory building, but not for any aviation stuff in it. Since the planes are insured separately the loss exposure is small.

Nationwide (auto + home). Biggest problem is they changed their 'fire rating' for rural customers about 5 years ago, and virtually doubled our rates. Cursory research seems to indicate that this was a coordinated move by all the home insurance companies in my state, so it's likely more of an industry issue than a single company.

Charlie

AAA (Auto Club) for airpark home and hangar. Only been here and with them for a little over a year but have used them for about 10-years off airport. Actually even filed a claim for an electrical power surge that caused damage and they paid it. Will see if rate goes up next year when the premium for the 3rd year comes due.

AAA has a discount when you have both auto and home insurance with them.

AJ Gallagher advertises on VAF and would be worth asking them about coverage.

Good info

Thanks everyone for the input. A little followup that might be helpful to others.

1) Do not think that your plane is covered as "contents." There may be exceptions but if it rolls, flies or floats it will need its own policy. Check this out before catastrophe hits. This is true even during the build process.

2) Do not be deceptive as to the purpose of the building. If you put a plane in it the insurance company is going to consider it a hangar. They won't care if you have tractors, mowers or construction equipment in there. Again, may be exceptions, but why take chances.

3) Build a solid inventory list with pictures.

Again thanks for the input. The broker got a policy through Travelers. I don't qualify for USAA or I'd be there. I was with Farmers for everything for over 40 years as a matter of loyalty. My best friend in life was my agent and he retired. I ended up saving almost $2000 a year on everything.

Insurance can be tricky. Very important to know your coverage.

State Farm. They were also great with insuring our amateur built boats. Been with them for many years.

Roberta

State Farm - never an issue.

As an aside, after years with SF, I finally broke down and got a formal quote from USAA to see if all the savings my friends claimed would be realized. Bottom line: Even with 2 homes and 3 cars, SF still came out slightly cheaper for the identical coverage.

USAA

USAA covers many homes in our airpark (SC99) both with attached and un-attached hangars. I call my un-attached hangar a pole barn. I also got an umbrella policy from them adding more coverage for all my USAA products.

Back