What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Insurance for those over 80

What are the options to get liability insurance for an experimental for someone over 85?

Sorry - I've seen several threads go by with this topic. However, that reality is still several decades away for me and I've only half paid any attention to this issue.

However, one of the guys that inspired me to build has turned 85, has the money and found an airplane he wants to buy. However, because it is an experimental and he is 85, he can't get liability insurance. (He can write off any hull damage. Just need liability for those involved in any accident and to protect some of his kid's inheritance.)

Anyway - point me to anything of interest. I really hate seeing him sidelined due to an arbitrary number. His (and my) flying days are numbered anyhow.

The thing to do is call one of the good brokers, and get direct answers from them - anything here (unless it is from one of the brokers who regularly contribute) is goign to be speculation.

We have a neighbor who had to give his A36 to his son-in-law when he turned 85 and switch to a C-182 because his long time insurance company said “no more retracts” - so the good news is that it IS possible to get insurance at that age. But I don’t know about NEW insurance…..

data point

I tried to hav my Dad listed on my insurance for my RV-10 in January. He is a lifetime Pilot, 35,000+ hours, Plenty of RV-10 time, Master CFI, and Wright Brothers Award recipient...and he is 78...

Falcon sent it out for quotes. If I just list me, the premium is $2300. There were only two companies that would even look at it for him...one was $6500, the other was closer to $10,000.:eek::mad:

I went with just me listed for $2300 from AIG. The AIG policy has an open pilot warranty of 500TT and 25 in type. Dad flies based on this part of the policy.

In June, I added my son (age 21) to the RV-10 insurance. He has 325TT and 5 hours in type. His addition adds only $600/year...

So, age makes a huge difference; experience, not so much...

The thing to do is call one of the good brokers, and get direct answers from them - anything here (unless it is from one of the brokers who regularly contribute) is goign to be speculation.

We have a neighbor who had to give his A36 to his son-in-law when he turned 85 and switch to a C-182 because his long time insurance company said “no more retracts” - so the good news is that it IS possible to get insurance at that age. But I don’t know about NEW insurance…..

This is what he has done so far and the news isn't very good. I'm trying to see if he might be interested in something like a C-182 with hopes insurance might be an option.

I felt like someone poked ME in the gut when he tried to sell me his headsets. I can't imagine what he has been feeling, but sure is good at hiding his emotions. (I would be balling like a little child.)

Anyway, any pointers are appreciated.

I tried to hav my Dad listed on my insurance for my RV-10 in January. He is a lifetime Pilot, 35,000+ hours, Plenty of RV-10 time, Master CFI, and Wright Brothers Award recipient...and he is 78...

Falcon sent it out for quotes. If I just list me, the premium is $2300. There were only two companies that would even look at it for him...one was $6500, the other was closer to $10,000.:eek::mad:

I went with just me listed for $2300 from AIG. The AIG policy has an open pilot warranty of 500TT and 25 in type. Dad flies based on this part of the policy.

In June, I added my son (age 21) to the RV-10 insurance. He has 325TT and 5 hours in type. His addition adds only $600/year...

So, age makes a huge difference; experience, not so much...

I believe with some policies the open pilot is not personally covered. You and the hull are protected from his liability but the insurer may subrogate him. Worth asking your broker.

I believe with some policies the open pilot is not personally covered. You and the hull are protected from his liability but the insurer may subrogate him. Worth asking your broker.

Many policies include a Waiver of Subrogation

good luck

Yeah, good luck with that...pretty sure they can't take his social security...

Correct. I instruct some in RVs and while I can meet the open pilot policies, I need a Wavier of Subrogation before we can fly together.

Back