What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Aithre 2.0 Install vs. 3.0

JFCRV12

Well Known Member
Curious if anyone knows if Van's includes anything 'special' in regards to the Aithre 3.0 CO install kit? It's $400 on Aithre's website and $410 on Van's.

I have a Dynon HDX system with the SV-EMS-220. In reading the Van's service letter, it looks like I would need to choose between SPO2 and O2 due to limited inputs on the SV-EMS-220 (after, of course, the CO connection is made).

I honestly do not care about either SPO2 or O2 for the flying I do (pretty much 9500 and below over flat land (Ohio).

Net, given that I can't take advantage of all the capabilities of the 3.0 Aithre anyway, I started looking at the Aithre 2.0 on their website. This one is only $300 vs. $400 and has the same CO detection sensitivity and resolution as the 3.0.

Seems to me I can save $100 and get the same CO detection. My main question is will the Van's Dynon files be configured to pick it up automatically and will install be any more complicated (sure doesn't seem so...just 3 wires).

Aithre 2.0

I haven't installed one but I come to the same conclusion as you. I think a 2.0 will work fine.

If anyone has installed a 2.0 or if you know of a reason why it won't work, please post here.

Aithre Shield EX 2.0

Have the Aithre Shield EX 2.0. I integrated it into the G3X touch via the GEA-24 50 or 37 Sub-D connector. Don't remember what pins I used as I did this back in January before it was available.

oHz.jpg

oHI.jpg

Last edited:
I’ve been considering installing the SL00010 Optional Aithre Shield EX 3.0 Carbon Monoxide Detector also. Has anyone installed one in a RV-12 with a dual Skyview Touch system? I’m curious where you mounted it and what does it look like on the EMS?

Thanks
Bill
N969RV
S12049

I just ordered the 2.0 and planning to install it in my -4 coupled to the Dynon Skyview.

The unit has only three wires: Power (5VDC), Ground and Sensor. The power must be to a 5VDC source, not 12VDC. This can be accomplished by using pin 18 on the D37 connector of the EMS-220. The sensor wire can then be installed to any of the available general purpose pins such as 4,6-12,20-23,31

You can download a widget from the Aithre Website and load that into your Skyview System. Then it will appear as an available sensor on your engine layout editor page.

These instructions, specific to the Dynon SV are available on their website. Dynon also has a video or two on how to use the engine layout editor and enable sensors.

Cheers

Where does the sensor get located? My Skyview came with the harness ready for it but I wasn't sure that sticking one behind the panel would give me the piece of mind I was looking for.

I'm probably going to opt for a portable, there are a few good ones out there.

Where does the sensor get located? My Skyview came with the harness ready for it but I wasn't sure that sticking one behind the panel would give me the piece of mind I was looking for.

I'm probably going to opt for a portable, there are a few good ones out there.

I just left it in the avionics bay - since the avionics bay lower fans drag air thru the bay from the cockpit.... and the most likely source is from the cabin heat or air vents, it should detect it and does during start up at times with the canopy open...they also have a test kit (or system) so you can close the canopy and simulate CO and make sure it detects it as I recall.

Back