What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Important Topic! cup holders

DHeal

Well Known Member
Now that I am beginning to venture far afield in my new RV-12 E-LSA, it is time to consider the type and placement of that all-important aeronautical accessory -- cup holders. Does anyone out there in RV-12-land have any good ideas as to this subject?

Ideally, I would like to have pilot-side and co-pilot-side cup holders that are readily accessible, somewhat out-of-sight when not in use, don't require drilling of excessive holes in virgin airframe structure, and don't interfere with controls, arms, legs, etc.

I installed Van's map-holder on the central console, so that area doesn't offer much room for cup holders. The neatest type would be the kind of cup holders used by custom hot rodders -- they emerge from the panel with the push of a finger and disappear flush with the panel when not in use. They are PRICEY however.

All ideas are welcome!

I've had one of those retractable cup holders in a VW Jetta. They seem to accumulate a lot of **** and I wouldn't want a drink anywhere near the panel of pricey avionics.

wouldn't be good for coffee or sodas, but a camel-back behind the seat with a tube over the shoulder works well.

If you have the interior kit, go to a local auto parts store or even Walmart or target, etc... Find the Rubbermaid flexible cup holders. Mine are black (May have other colors). Then get some Velcro on the backside and they stick to the carpet. We put ours on each side where the upper floor section meets the sidewall. I will post a pic when I get back to the hangar. They work great. Even if no interior carpet, use both Velcro halves and stick directly to the aluminum. I always use a resealable bottle or cup when flying. Turbulence and coffee is usually a bad match.

The link shows the cup holder. It is in the center of the photo. You can purchase the cup holder separately. I think I paid 4$ at Wally World.

http://www.costco.com/Rubbermaid-Mo....100036013.html?MobileOptOut=1&MobileOptOut=1

Last edited:
Cup holder idea

We have a BMW 335 in the family and it has a cassette type cup holder. Fits nearly flush with the dash. Simply push and the cup holder slowly slides out; extremely sturdy. Perfect place to put it would be in the panel as it has a tray much like avionics. At one time found a parts supplier because the part from BMW would kill you.

C'mon guys! I'm ashamed of you. What's with all this looking for an easy off-the-shelf solution for such an important piece of equipment. Remember, we're all talented aircraft assemblers!! Surely we can design and scratch-build an award-winning cup-holder from left-over bits. GBWLY showed the way with a neat thermos holder cum toolbox, and the modifications thread needs some new ideas! Now, let's get to work!! :D :D

C'mon guys! I'm ashamed of you. What's with all this looking for an easy off-the-shelf solution for such an important piece of equipment. Remember, we're all talented aircraft assemblers!! Surely we can design and scratch-build an award-winning cup-holder from left-over bits. GBWLY showed the way with a neat thermos holder cum toolbox, and the modifications thread needs some new ideas! Now, let's get to work!! :D :D

In that case... Who needs a cupholder at all? if you have one of these:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=068u3H-cIF0

(nevermind that it seems impossible to actually drink out of :rolleyes: )

You could always just wear a CamelBak hydration system across your chest. :D

camelbak-chargerlr-12-green.jpg

Back