What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Oil Pressure Fitting Interference

mfleming

Well Known Member
Patron
IO-360 with P-Mag.

The Vans FWF instructions say to install the VA-128 restricter fitting on the aft port if available. This puts the fitting very close to the top of the P-Mag. Perfectly doable but It restricts access the the green fixture on top of the P-Mag.

For those that have gone before me, is this a non-issue or should I move the VA-128 to the side port while I can?

The fitting is a bit closer to the P-Mag than the photos show.

Attachments

• fitting1.jpg
    fitting1.jpg
    182.9 KB · Views: 171
  • fitting2.jpg
    fitting2.jpg
    226.7 KB · Views: 156
Last edited:
It is a tight area, but there is no "top" to the PMAG, it can be rotated to provided clearance. I had a hard time getting that oil fitting tight, and ended up with a replacement braided hose with a 90-degree fitting on the end to connect to the fitting, like the attached image from the TS Flightlines website.

Attachments

• 90-degree hose end.jpg
    90-degree hose end.jpg
    186.8 KB · Views: 87
It is a tight area, but there is no "top" to the PMAG, it can be rotated to provided clearance. I had a hard time getting that oil fitting tight, and ended up with a replacement braided hose with a 90-degree fitting on the end to connect to the fitting, like the attached image from the TS Flightlines website.

Thanks for the information. So your saying you put a straight restrictor at this location and then had Tom make you up a hose with a 90º end??

I wonder how tight is two tight...I would like this fitting tighter but I certainly can't get another full turn on it.

Last edited:
I’ve used both straight nipples and a 45 degree fitting (like yours) on those ports on our airplanes, all of which have P-Mags, with no problems. None of the P-Mags are mounted level however - they are all clocked at whatever angle worked best once the engine was on the mount. I expect that once you get the motor hung, you’ll end up rotating the P-Mag as well…..

What Paul said, and anyway, that particular green fitting is for three coil wires. You're unlikely to ever fool with them.

I’ve used both straight nipples and a 45 degree fitting (like yours) on those ports on our airplanes, all of which have P-Mags, with no problems. None of the P-Mags are mounted level however - they are all clocked at whatever angle worked best once the engine was on the mount. I expect that once you get the motor hung, you’ll end up rotating the P-Mag as well…..

I know nothing about E-Mags. Your saying unlike a regular mag , E-mags can be turned (so obviously it doesn't effect timing). Can they easily be removed and re-installed without the trouble of timing the ignition again.
Just spent three hours installing one nut and the two washers in a BC-410 standby alternator that if I dared remove the E-mag would have taken two minutes.

I know nothing about E-Mags. Your saying unlike a regular mag , E-mags can be turned (so obviously it doesn't effect timing). Can they easily be removed and re-installed without the trouble of timing the ignition again.
Just spent three hours installing one nut and the two washers in a BC-410 standby alternator that if I dared remove the E-mag would have taken two minutes.

Yes, the P-Mag doesn’t care about orientation. Once you bolt it down in the most convenient orientation, you time it by putting the prop at TDC and blowing twice into a tube…done!

Thanks everyone. In the end, I left the fitting as it was and mounted the engine. Thanks again for all the help.

Back