What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Sealant for hydraulic and fuel fittings.

LyleM

What is the proper sealant to use on the threads of a fitting that screws into a hydraulic unit (not the B nut end) for hydraulic lines? Permetex 1 or 2, or something else? Same question for fuel fittings. Thanks.

+1 for Locktite 567

I started with Permatex 2, couldn’t stop the leaks. -567 solved the problem.
Have seen some say that Perm2 worked for them, but if it doesn’t work for you it’s a real pain to clean up all your fittings and replace with the -567.
2cents.

Another vote for Loctite 567. HOWEVER for fuel fittings in particular make sure not to get ANY of the sealant on the first two or three threads of the NPT fitting. You do not want any traces of sealant getting into your fuel system....period.

567 or PTFE Paste, not tape for NPT threads. In the case of some governor adapters, later hydraulic cylinders if so equipped, and Lycoming fuel pumps with o'ring boss ports, lube the o'ring, but sealer isnt necessary. The o'ring presses into a groove in the upper side of the port, and is squeezed by the lock nut and washer.

Tom

Locktite 567. FYI, it is what Mercury Marine now recommends on all NPT fitting, thus it is available from any Mercury Marine dealer if your finding it hard to find. I can dig up the part numbers if you need, they sell the small chapstick sized tube as well as the toothpaste size tube.

Bakerseal

Years ago I was advised to use Bakerseal for brake lines, and it has worked, but I don't hear much about it on VAF.

lol===PTFE plumbers paste at 'Lowes" for inexpensive. Same Bat time, same Bat channel. Been using is for 40+ years.

Tom

am i 'that' old?

Back