What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

ISO: Wingtip Lens Kit for Original Vans wingtips or these wingtips

N62XS

Well Known Member
I've been looking for a solution that allows landing/taxi lights in the original Vans wingtips. Any suggestions, links or information is appreciated. The lenses look like this one:

AFCC43AF-707E-4EB9-B479-5A93C76A8721_zpskjeojbu3.jpg

You mean like this?

There is enough room there for both, and keep the nav light out of the landing light beam, if you don't center the landing light in the backing plate. Drop the nav light as low as you can, and mount the landing light as high as you can, and it works. Of course, I'm using the HID lights in mine, which are a smaller diameter, you might need to change the light type and put in a new mounting plate to make that work.

000_0114_zpseidospvf.jpg

The photo you (OP) posted of the wingtip with the "curled" trailing edge is not a stock wingtip. It appears to be a RMD wingtip, which until recently was manufactured just 5 hangar rows up from me. The business was sold in August to Knots2U, which is where they can be sourced from now. They might be willing to provide you just a lens if you ask and if that's all you need, not sure. But, there's a lot more to building in wingtip lighting than that lens, of course.

Here's a link to the actual wingtip you asked about:

http://www.knots2u.net/rv-4-6-7-8-wing-tips-w-landing-lights-set-of-2/

Nice people there, very helpful when you speak with them. The wingtips are well-designed and well-built. The nav/strobe/position light pad is sized for Whelen 600's or equivalent (650s work fine too), which are available from Vans Airforce sponsor Mike/Kahuna over at http://teamaerodynamix.com/ (highly recommended). I also got my LED landing and taxi lights from Mike, and swapped out the old-school bulbs with the new LED ones. The landing/taxi light in the RMD/Knots2U wingtip is very adjustable/aimable on a spring-loaded "floating" mount mechanism.

Vans has provided a few different wingtips over the years. The original W-415 (flat top) wingtip doesn't have a lighting cove and the wingtip landing light modification kits that Vans sells don't fit that one. I think there was an aftermarket one at some point that I saw, and of course people have done various fabricate-it projects.

I have the RMD/Knots2U wingtips on my Cherokee and was happy enough with those that I now also have a pair of them in my build shop, which are going on my in-progress RV-8A. I may use the old 415 tips for some camera projects I haev dreamed up, we shall see. Gotta finish this project and make it a flying airplane first.

Hope that helps. Here are a few pics of my 8A project wingtips from when I was installing LED lights, etc.

Last edited:
Original 415 Wingtips

Not what I'm after. The original style wingtip has a flat top. There used to be a kit to modify them to install a cutout for the landing light. I want to use this wingtip because I will be installing a small equipment locker in it.

Looking for this found on RMD Aircraft site, but they are no more. Now Knots 2 U. Called them. They are checking.

03F7AC95-1868-495B-8AC6-A4816D020BC2_zpswnc0kdh3.jpg

Knots 2 U

Nice people. $500 for two lenses(L & R) and two fiberglass mounting pieces is more than I can afford. Lenses are $132 each. I may end up purchasing lenses and fabricating my own mounting pieces. In any case many thanks to Kevin for the information.

If anyone has an RMD setup like this on the shelf or has a set of old style wing tips with this installed, please PM me. I'm interested in them at an affordable price.

Nice people. $500 for two lenses(L & R) and two fiberglass mounting pieces is more than I can afford. Lenses are $132 each. I may end up purchasing lenses and fabricating my own mounting pieces. In any case many thanks to Kevin for the information.

If anyone has an RMD setup like this on the shelf or has a set of old style wing tips with this installed, please PM me. I'm interested in them at an affordable price.
Ouch, I bought a pair of replacement lenses from RMD 6 months ago for $60 each.

In line with what I could afford

Ouch, I bought a pair of replacement lenses from RMD 6 months ago for $60 each.

I remember the entire kit was around $250 with lights. Very limited market combined with old, inherited stock makes $500 without lights or wiring or $132 for a single lens, for an experimental, not PMA/TSO, a bit high, IMHO.

--- snip ---

Looking for this found on RMD Aircraft site, but they are no more. Now Knots 2 U. Called them. They are checking.

03F7AC95-1868-495B-8AC6-A4816D020BC2_zpswnc0kdh3.jpg

Over 20-years ago, I purchased the RMD lights for my RV-6 and they were over $600.

Kits through Vans

Talked to Vans today. They offered two kits for the flat top wingtip until 2013. One by Airtech was the one I remembered. It was about $250. Two possible suppliers checked. One(Chanute) number disconnected. The other, Darb Newton went to voice mail. Any info is appreciated.

Diamond wing tip lenses for Rv 6

Anyone know where I can purchase old school diamond wing tip lenses for Rv6?

Thanks ,

Hawk

Back