What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

NEW RV-15

The lack of updates to this thread by the attendees is frustrating.

Sitting here feeling the same but reminding myself to have a better perspective. Whatever is new, we'll find out very shortly but I sure wish I could be there this morning just for the experience.

That said, in the modern day it's super easy to just pull out the phone and start a stream...fancy production is not necessary. Lots of RV people with YouTube channels that I'm sure are sitting there watching and could do that. I guess that since they got their butts to the event they get to decide how to share the content.

That said, in the modern day it's super easy to just pull out the phone and start a stream...fancy production is not necessary. Lots of RV people with YouTube channels that I'm sure are sitting there watching and could do that. I guess that since they got their butts to the event they get to decide how to share the content.

Assuming you have sufficient bandwidth and data allowance to do that... even if you have unlimited data I'm sure the cell towers/wifi are running at full capacity all week...

Assuming you have sufficient bandwidth and data allowance to do that... even if you have unlimited data I'm sure the cell towers/wifi are running at full capacity all week...

Sure...I'm making some assumptions. One of them if that it's at capacity on Monday morning it's unusable on Saturday and Sunday. I've never been so what do I know...but I bet I'll see lots of stuff streamed by people throughout the week.

I hope the limitation is not technical, and the reality is that people just want to pay attention instead of playing broadcaster. That's what I'd likely be doing too.

This is about it from Rian. More next OSH.

Attachments

• PXL_20210726_140305192.jpg
    PXL_20210726_140305192.jpg
    230 KB · Views: 465
Whew. . .

That'll make the bride happy, not interested. . .

Guess we will wait and see what the 16 looks like (maybe :rolleyes:)

Well…in other Oshkosh news:
Coming soon - a modified one off Zenith 750 project for sale. ;)

Last edited:
A little disappointed as well. There are so many good airplanes in that segment already. I was hoping for a new updated 8 with more speed and maybe a new wing and tail. I’m sure what ever Vans does will be well received.

Eric

Same hopes

A little disappointed as well. There are so many good airplanes in that segment already. I was hoping for a new updated 8 with more speed and maybe a new wing and tail. I’m sure what ever Vans does will be well received.

Eric

Same sentiment. Updated -8 that builds like the -14. I won’t take up any space in line for the -15

Same sentiment. Updated -8 that builds like the -14. I won’t take up any space in line for the -15

I was hoping that would be around to complicate my decision on what to build next too. Plenty left to do on my -12, but I guess I'll be keeping an eye on the bottom of the main page for a change some day.

Probability of Repeated Offender Goes Up

I was contemplating a SuperCub clone build after my RV8 but the thought of dealing with incomplete plans and lack of strong builder support put a damper into that long term planning.

Now there is a reason to hope after this news.

Eric

Rocket F1?

Did they make an other announcements - specific updates to a model ? or a general update on the supply issues - actually getting complete kits is hard at the moment.

Did they make an other announcements - specific updates to a model ? or a general update on the supply issues - actually getting complete kits is hard at the moment.

They talked about the prepunch improvements (final size) on the -10, a canopy release upgrade and the improved engine installation on the -14 and an improved flap actuator for the -10.

No word. And I asked, no word on target engine size. Greg would've had to kill a lot of us if he did mention. ;)

I suspect the small tandem configuration of the Cub clone is saturated. There are also plenty of smaller Rotax powered from Rans and Kitfox. The market for the 4 or 5-seat Bearhawk, or similar sized Glastar, is uncontested. I am suspecting a future 4 seat RV15 that competes in the same mission as the Bearhawk but flies faster, better build from match hole drilling, and the superior Vans factory support.

Ken Kruger has designed a few high-wing 4 seaters but interestingly, all of these designs have disappeared from his website (skydesigns.aero). As the designer of many of Vans most popular aircraft, I wonder why he took down these photos. :rolleyes:

4f5e54_089398ca9f494b6daa425f6000874525~mv2_d_3590_1704_s_2.jpg

Last edited:
I'll echo those that are a little disappointed in a Van's backcountry design. Given the market interest however, it's a great move on Van's part!
As good looking as RV's are, it's a safe bet the -15 will look more like a RV than a Zenith 700 series!!

Keep the faith!

Last edited:
I did the exact same thing as you. Looking for the tandem, with tricycle retracts and what appears to be a higher speed wing. All gone. Nice new website though.

I suspect the small tandem configuration of the Cub clone is saturated. There are also plenty of smaller Rotax powered from Rans and Kitfox. The market for the 4 or 5-seat Bearhawk, or similar sized Glastar, is uncontested. I am suspecting a future 4 seat RV15 that competes in the same mission as the Bearhawk but flies faster, better build from match hole drilling, and the superior Vans factory support.

Ken Kruger has designed a few high-wing 4 seaters but interestingly, all of these designs have disappeared from his website (skydesigns.aero). As the designers of many of Vans most popular aircraft, I wonder why he took down these photos. :rolleyes:

More details rv15

More than 1 seat
Aluminum construction
Both tail and nose gear option
First kits will be really simple plans for repeat offenders
Total performance so reasonable cruise
No idea if float compatible but not right away
Working on plywood model for ergonomics
Took a poll of audience for solid or pop rivets, NO hands went up for pop rivets
NExt osh should have flying prototype

Thanks to all those on the ground for us unable to attend this year. We love the updates and appreciate the info as it becomes available. :)

Vans, please make it a side-by-side so I can be kit #001!
(Wife and flying buddy refuses to stare at back of my head)

Don't flame me, but I'd be happy with a blind rivet plane. Haters are going to hate but I'm getting old and time isn't my friend anymore. Especially since I have to start all over again from my current project. #Oshkosh2024

More than 1 seat
Aluminum construction
Both tail and nose gear option
First kits will be really simple plans for repeat offenders
Total performance so reasonable cruise
No idea if float compatible but not right away
Working on plywood model for ergonomics
Took a poll of audience for solid or pop rivets, NO hands went up for pop rivets
NExt osh should have flying prototype

Thanks to all those on the ground for us unable to attend this year. We love the updates and appreciate the info as it becomes available. :)

Vans, please make it a side-by-side so I can be kit #001!
(Wife and flying buddy refuses to stare at back of my head)

Don't flame me, but I'd be happy with a blind rivet plane. Haters are going to hate but I'm getting old and time isn't my friend anymore. Especially since I have to start all over again from my current project. #Oshkosh2024

I believe Rian said the FEA was done for both pulled and flush rivets, but didn’t say which the final design will be (maybe both?).

Ken Kruger has designed a few high-wing 4 seaters but interestingly, all of these designs have disappeared from his website (skydesigns.aero). As the designer of many of Vans most popular aircraft, I wonder why he took down these photos. :rolleyes:

I agree. The two place bush plane market seems pretty crowded. I'm very interested in the Bearhawk -5 and would love to see Vans come out with something similar that is float compatible.

I agree. The two place bush plane market seems pretty crowded. I'm very interested in the Bearhawk -5 and would love to see Vans come out with something similar that is float compatible.

Really. Just try to order a KitFox.

I expect it to be a 2+ seater and powered by Lycoming.

Last edited:
Looks interesting, not for me though. One positive for me is that I don't have buyers remorse for my 14A. If they had come out with a new and improved RV-9A kit (similar to the 14, etc) I would have contemplated ordering.

I think the best part about this departure from the norm is that it will add an entirely new demographic to Van's customer base. The "Cub copycats" type of aircraft is a big market that many manufacturers have done well with. Given Van's reputation, reliability, economics, etc; this is sure to be hugely successful for the organization and homebuilding community alike.

Engine...yes

Here's hoping for alternatives to the ever skyrocketing price of a Lycosaur. Lycomings are great engines, but there are other competitive options out there. A Van's quality finish and fwf offering for a non-Lycoming engine would be great. UL Power is making great headway. Used Continental 360s and 470s are available. Rotax, but might be a bit short on power. I'm sure there's others too, depending on the power needs.

Sling is using the Rotax 915iS for the Sling HW. The preliminary specs look good, and it's flying now. So final specs should be available pretty soon.

Since the video was posted and we saw the slides...I don't think the tandem/sidexside question bodes well for a 4 place.

Y'a know-----this dribbling out of tidbits of info is a surprisingly effective advertising campaign.

Look at how many threads/post it has generated already.

Engine Thoughts

For decent short field take off performance, my bet is for at least 150 hp and probably more. Also expect an engine capable of hydraulically governed constant speed props. Total performance, remember?

And given that the layout of the airplane is a departure for Van's, perhaps it's too much of a leap for them to take a chance on an engine for which there is not a robust history and lots of experience in the EA community. Yes, that suggests a Lycoming.

Finally, if it's a kit at all like an RV-14 or RV-12, with that level of parts development and plans detail, it's not going to be a bargain basement kit. Start saving.

Dave

Also expect an engine capable of hydraulically governed constant speed props. Total performance, remember?
Dave

Don't forget the term "Total Performance" was coined around RV-3s, -4s, & -6s with fixed pitch, wood props.

Here's hoping for alternatives to the ever skyrocketing price of a Lycosaur. Lycomings are great engines, but there are other competitive options out there. A Van's quality finish and fwf offering for a non-Lycoming engine would be great. UL Power is making great headway. Used Continental 360s and 470s are available. Rotax, but might be a bit short on power. I'm sure there's others too, depending on the power needs.

Have you price a comparable UL lately? Even before the Lycoming price increase? Plus there are no used UL, but a lot of used Lycoming

One of the cornerstones of the Vans success story has been their determination to design their aircraft only around proven highly reliable aviation powerplants. They are most unlikely to deviate from that very successful philosophy.

Back