What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Foam around fuel line?

crabandy

Well Known Member
The plans call for the fuel line that runs from the fuel selector (Rv6-7-9) forward to the firewall to be protected with foam.
What did you guys use?
Could I just wrap the fuel line several times with silicone tape?
What have others used to level the floor to install carpet?
Thanks!

I used rubber grommets and prosealed them in place and to the floor. They are up off the floor and not going anywhere.

Plastic tube

I just picked up some 1/2" od, 3/8" id poly tube from lowes today to put around my fuel lines. The 3/8" fuel lines fit nice inside - a little bolube and no problem. My thinking is the tube will dampen any vibrations and protect it. I have the foam and will still use it, I just wanted another layer of protection. If you don't want to do the whole line, you can just cut several pieces a couple inches long and slip them on or split them and then slip over if you already have the fittings on.

It is the same stuff the brake lines are made from - but cost .27 foot at lowes.

I bought one of those $5 "camping mats" from Walmart that is about an inch thick and cut it up with a razor knife.

Fuel line

How about using some fire sleeve. It would do the trick and add some heat protection at the same time.

Super Soundproofing foam, either direct from Super Soundproofing or through ACS. It's fire rated for aviation use. More details on their websites. Comes in various thicknesses. Use for both floor vibration dampening under carpet and you can sandwich the fuel line between it.

Super Soundproofing foam, either direct from Super Soundproofing or through ACS. It's fire rated for aviation use. More details on their websites. Comes in various thicknesses. Use for both floor vibration dampening under carpet and you can sandwich the fuel line between it.

That's exactly what I did in the entire center tunnel (RV-7). It serves multiple purposes of protecting the fuel lines (both fuel supply and return in my case), vibration dampening, and soundproofing. It's basically the same stuff used under the carpeting I got from Classic Aero Designs.

That's exactly what I did in the entire center tunnel (RV-7). It serves multiple purposes of protecting the fuel lines (both fuel supply and return in my case), vibration dampening, and soundproofing. It's basically the same stuff used under the carpeting I got from Classic Aero Designs.

Just make sure whatever you use will not be adversly affected by 100LL that may get spilled in the area during maintenance.

HellermannTyton Mounting Plates

I'm using HellermanTyton Mounting Plates, 0.62 wide x 9.5 long x .21 thick molded nylon with mounting screw slots and tierap slots. Several of these will be prosealed to the tunnel floor.

Have a look here and open one of the part numbers to see a picture.
http://www.hellermanntyton.us/products.aspx?cat=328

Or better yet, go to their literature page
http://www.hellermanntyton.us/literature.aspx

and under catalogs download their Cable Management and Identification Solutions Catalog and look on page 96

Just don't forget that AL tubing will corrode. If you're in a high humidity area, or the plane sits outside, anything around the tubes that can't breath can trap moisture next to the tubing.

Just a thought...

Charlie

Super Soundproofing foam - Top and bottom in Tunnel

Think about it. This is where using Super Soundproofing foam would actually shine. The tunnel cover is easily removed and would expose the fuel and brake lines for easy inspection. Covering them with tubing, fire sleeve or the foam Van's recommends, makes inspection of the fuel and brake lines more difficult. Similarly, encasing them with Great Stuff makes a section of the tubing "un-inspectable."

Back