What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

oil cooler

Steve N.

Well Known Member
I will be installing an IO-360 M1B with 9.5:1 cylinders with squirters and I am wondering if I should use a larger oil cooler than the usual 7 tube cooler. Also has there been any problem mounting the larger 9 tube cooler on the back baffle with the required extra supports? I'm still at least 5 months away from receiving the engine, so no hurry.

Thanks

End the pain and mount whatever cooler you want on the firewall. Don’t forget the butterfly valve.

Carl
5-A2-BDB43-3565-42-F4-8-DD4-DA98-F26-ACF79.jpg

Oil cooler

I bought the RV10 cooler and mount and installed a butterfly valve and scat.
Standard IO-360-M1B. No high compression or squirters.

I have an angle-valve IO-360-A1A.

I used the cooler Vans sells for the RV-10, and I made a mount similar to the RV-10 mount, but with different angles to match the angles of the RV-8 engine mount better for fit and clearances. I then made an aerodynamic adapter to the 4" SCAT tube.

If/When I do it again, I will mount the cooler perpendicular to the firewall as Carl F. shows in post #2 and make a different aerodynamic diffuser/adapter for it. There are several old threads here that show good ideas for the diffuser/adapter. I would also favor having the mount to the firewall provide a diagonal brace to the cooler mount flanges opposite the firewall, rather than Adel clamps to the engine mount - but that's just me.

I think that cooler is the bare minimum that you would want. Worth considering one of the better-cooling SW coolers.

Last edited:
Oil cooler

I went with a 17 row mounted on the firewall

Attachments

• BA8F3845-ABFC-423A-870B-157F9393AEA0.jpg
    BA8F3845-ABFC-423A-870B-157F9393AEA0.jpg
    123.1 KB · Views: 181
Thanks for all the good ideas. I will probably go with the RV-10 oil cooler and mount it to the firewall.

9 row dual pass cooler

Hi, I’ve got a similar engine, io-370, 9.6 comp and piston squirters. I used a 9-row dual pass cooler mounted in the stock location on the rear of the baffle. It can be done. I had to slightly modify some parts in the stock vans cooler mount kit. I also installed some reinforcement in the corner of the baffles. 135 hours so far with no cooling issues at all in hot or cold weather flying. I have normal baffle seals, no plenum.

Still building, but I bought mine from Pacific Oil Cooler. Great service and took the time to explain all the differences. I went with a 9 row HE series which is more than adequate for a IO-360-M1B, 8.5:1 no squirters. Using the show planes mount.

Last edited:
Back