What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Are you flying to the Florida Keys

togaflyer

Well Known Member
If you are heading down to the Keys here are some recommendations. Marathon Airport GA FBO has been my base for years. Recently there has been a change in their philosophy and they are no longer GA friendly. So heading to Key West at Signature or Marathon GA FBO is about a push now a days. Call before you go to verify their rates and ramp availability. I would recommend topping off at Naples Airport self service (currently the lowest in the area), then flying to either Key West or Marathon. At either KEYW or KMTH FBO’s they charge 20 dollars plus 2.50 security fee. 10 gallons of gas waives the 20 dollar ramp fee. Fuel prices are high and they are very proud of it. There is no place in the lower 48 like the Keys and your missing out on life if you don’t visit. It’s a great place to get the tropical experience on without the hassle of international travel. Just be prepared to pay FBO costs equal to any major popular airport. Also, ramp line workers and staff are very transient right now so I would be at your plane when fueling, etc.

Last edited:
Has anyone here flown into Homestead X51 and rented a car? I’m wondering if that might not be the best way to go for a visit to the Keys.

Has anyone here flown into Homestead X51 and rented a car? I’m wondering if that might not be the best way to go for a visit to the Keys.
Three hour drive vs a one hour flight. It would probably be less expensive but that's not why I built a 10.

Homestead is a good spot for the upper Keys. I flew in there for a Key Largo trip a few months ago. They charge $10 per night for ramp fee, but wave that with fuel purchase. I think every 10 gallons gets you one night free. Fuel was reasonably priced, Enterprize delivered the rental car there, and the folks were friendly.

Marathon

I have a Condo on Duck Key. The folks I know at the KMTH FBO are very Friendly and very helpful. Very helpful! But I don't think they set the prices on anything. Maybe Monroe County dictates it. They do have a loaner car with 1 hour MAX use. The FBO staff will offer to drive you and pick you up (for tips). ***BUT** I have heard rumblings form the long term customers about tie down fee's: "they used to have Monthly rates for locals and Now only daily rates no matter how long you have been or will be staying" Two folks I met on the ramp were extremely upset about that. Claimed the rates for tie down went from less than $200 to now $600 per month without notice, and they are County residents and live nearby with little alternatives. I guess the County would be considered GA Unfriendly, but they sure do cater to the JETS now with their own new facility. Ed S.

Someone that works there told me today that Millionair is taking over both the jet center and the GA terminal. For us locals who were long term parking we paid 161 a month for non designated parking on the ramp (you were still part of the first come first serve). We could also park our car while away. Price went up to 450.00 without notice, plus additional for your vehicle. Fortunately I’m close to Summerland airport (private) and I was able to get approval, pay the yearly fees, and now I’m located there. But for long term parking it saves me thousands.
Just expect for short term parking 22.50 a night and if you don’t by 10 gallons figure another 20 on top of that. But is it worth visiting, absolutely!

Last edited:
Best fuel stop is Tuesday at x06 for tacos at lunch. Discounts on fuel on taco Tuesday.

We flew to Marathon for a week stay in November. I go every year and always went there instead of flying to Key West. The fuel used to be at least a buck less than Key West plus way cheaper in fees.

Overnight went from $12 to twenty something in just one year and the fuel is about the same as Key west now.

I have done the Homestead thing and drove the whole keys and that is the cheapest way to do it but I just look at flying directly to the islands as a luxury.

The service for me has always been top notch. Last time they drove my rental car to my plane even before I shut the engine down.

Back