What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Ad Valorem Tax on Hangar Lease?

Sparky

Well Known Member
I've been looking into hangar leases in Georgia. Is it normal there, or elsewhere, to have to pay an additional "ad valorem" tax in addition to the hangar lease cost?

Don't quote me but I believe GA. Is the same as Florida here.
Yes there is a sales tax paid on all rentals or leases of personal property. Paid by the renter to the owner and the owner then owes the state the tax.

In CA there is a 1% of value annual property tax on hangars. If owned privately, the owner pays. If owned by a city, the person leasing the hangar pays.

I've been looking into hangar leases in Georgia. Is it normal there, or elsewhere, to have to pay an additional "ad valorem" tax in addition to the hangar lease cost?

Yes it is. Today as a matter of fact I just paid Lumpkin County my 2013 ad valorem tax. This is on top of the rent I pay to the county for the land my hangar sits on. This is also in addition to the ad valorem tax I pay on my plane, cars, trucks and trailer.

Basically, I'm just renting all these things for the state.

Now I feel better!!

Here in Colorado, I pay property tax on the hangar building and ground rent to the city for the land under it.

Dave

In Texas..

In texas, as a renter the "property tax" is hidden away from us. You are paying it, but it is not separated or set aside as a line item.

As an owner of any property....... barn, house or hanger, you are billed by the county, state, and school district. You just get one bill from the county. The amount you pay is highly variable depending on which school district you reside in.

In texas, as a renter the "property tax" is hidden away from us. You are paying it, but it is not separated or set aside as a line item.

As an owner of any property....... barn, house or hanger, you are billed by the county, state, and school district. You just get one bill from the county. The amount you pay is highly variable depending on which school district you reside in.

Pretty much the same in Arizona.

Yes it is. Today as a matter of fact I just paid Lumpkin County my 2013 ad valorem tax. This is on top of the rent I pay to the county for the land my hangar sits on. This is also in addition to the ad valorem tax I pay on my plane, cars, trucks and trailer.

Basically, I'm just renting all these things for the state.

Now I feel better!!

you shouldn't owe it anymore on vehicles, TAVT is now in effect in georgia

http://onlinemvd.dor.ga.gov/Tap/welcome.aspx

I don't pay anything but my monthly rent.

Back