What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Oil cooler shutter control placard

noelf

Well Known Member
During my conditional inspection, I took the opportunity to add a cockpit push-pull control to the oil cooler shutter. The round black knob on the control is just under 1" diameter.

Any suggestions from the knowledge pool here as to the minimum number of words for a placard that would be attached to the knob to describe the function?

Something like:
OIL SHUTTER
PUSH FOR
SUMMER OPERATION

I put one in, and had McFarlane do a nice LASER-etched label on a blue anodized locking knob, and I frankly gave up on good wording for it...it just says "Oil Cooler". :)

I tried thinking of all sorts of things..."Oil Cooler - Pull Hot" seemed oxymoronic, "Oil Cooler - Pull Shut" didn't explain anything, "Oil Temperature - whatever" wasn't really very good.

So it says

"Oil Cooler"

and that's it. My POH will describe it's functioning :)

I have the standard Van's Black (cabin heat) push/pull cable for the oil temp shutter and did a white on black K-Sun LabelShop round stick-on label that says "OIL TEMP PULL-HOT":

OilTemp_zps4aba982e.jpg

Last edited:
a hard one...

yeah, so why does ' cowl flaps - OPEN' make perfect sense,
( you just KNOW it's gonna cool the engine) and this one doesn't???

I'd be tempted to say 'OIL - PULL TO COOL' or 'OIL COOLER - open for > air'

How about "Oil Shutter - Pull Open" or maybe here it would be "...Push Open" or "...Pull Closed."

Although I think I'd rather have the logic be that the normal position is control pushed in and special operation, pulled out, like carb heat or cowl flaps.

Dave

I put one in, and had McFarlane do a nice LASER-etched label on a blue anodized locking knob, and I frankly gave up on good wording for it...it just says "Oil Cooler". :)

I tried thinking of all sorts of things..."Oil Cooler - Pull Hot" seemed oxymoronic, "Oil Cooler - Pull Shut" didn't explain anything, "Oil Temperature - whatever" wasn't really very good.

So it says

"Oil Cooler"

and that's it. My POH will describe it's functioning :)

As an aircraft developer, technical writer (the call us "information developers" these days), and occasional operator of borrowed race cars, I would strongly recommend that the label capture both the function (what it does) and sense (which way to move it) of the control. I like your first suggestion best, and I would put it in all caps:

OIL COOLER
PULL HOT

That captures that the control has something to do with oil temperature, and what the relationship is between the oil temperature and the control position.

Thanks, Bob K.

We labeled the (ground-adjustable) control on my dad's 6

"<----WINTER SUMMER----->"

Not sure if that will work for you.

I have an issue with "Pull Hot".
Does it mean pull if it is hot or pull to make it hotter?
I kinda like Open-Closed. I understand what that does.

Works for me

These are Vans push pull cables and lettered with Decal Pro.
Clear coated and as good as new 150 hours of use.
Everything in my plane is set up so that anyone without much explaining
will know what to do.

IMG_0559.JPG

Photo%2520%2520%25203.JPG

As an aircraft developer, technical writer (the call us "information developers" these days), and occasional operator of borrowed race cars, I would strongly recommend that the label capture both the function (what it does) and sense (which way to move it) of the control. I like your first suggestion best, and I would put it in all caps:

OIL COOLER
PULL HOT

That captures that the control has something to do with oil temperature, and what the relationship is between the oil temperature and the control position.

Thanks, Bob K.

As an engineer, I agree with you...but everything I came up with just seemed more confusing to me (Oil *Cooler* - Pull *Hot*? Shouldn't it be Push Cool, or something? And it's not actually the cooler you're controlling, but the oil cooler *shutter*, which leads to weirdness like "Oil Cooler Shutter - Pull Closed" - what does that *do* to the oil temp? etc.). So in the end, I gave up, went with simple and figured it's my plane, I'll likely be the only one flying it, or if someone else does, I'll brief them on everything anyway (and since I have a full EFIS, the effect of either pushing or pulling will be apparent in the oil temp widget).

I had a philosophy of having everything on the plane "self-identified" or "self-labelled", with no additional placards, labels, etc. The switches are all Aveo Rockracks, all push-pull controls are McFarlane locking push-pull anodized/LASER engraved controls, EFISes are (by definition) self-labelling in all their displays/widgets, the gas caps are engraved w/ the info, etc.

I just need Aveo to make a switch top now for "Flaps"...that's the lone item without a label (but again, it's my plane...I know what that up/down arrow next to the throttle quadrant does :) ).

What about "Oil Rad Vent Pull Close". It makes sense to me because you are adjusting the "vent" to control airflow over the rad thus affecting your cooling.

I'd do "Oil cooler, pull to close" the word "close" implies turning something off, and as the thing being turned off is a "cooler" then it stands to reason that something will get hotter :)

My Vote

"Oil Cooler Shutter"
"Pull to Close"

Probably influenced by the fact that my WWII T-6 has an "Oil Cooler Shutter" lever, marked "Open" and "Closed"

I think the idea is that a pilot would know that closing a shutter would warm the oil. And vice-versa.

Although I do like "Pull to Raise Oil Temp" :cool:

Back