What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

RV-4 Tire Question

Dirtrack49

I'm New Here
Hello everyone.

This is my first post on the VAF forum.

I have been flying my RV-4 since spring of 1999, and believe it or not, I did not know about this forum until recently googling something pertaining to Van's aircraft.

Once again, it is time for some new main tires. I have used just about everything out there on not only the RV, but other aircraft that I have owned in the past.

I, like many, get poor wear on every type of tire I run on my RV-4. So far, Goodyear has lasted the longest, followed by Airhawks. We are talking 120-200 hours maximum. My current Condors have given up after 100 hours. So,
my question, has anyone with a RV-4 run Monster Retreads from Desser? If so, did you need to modify your wheel pants in order to provide clearance? And, did they give you any longer service life?

My RV was built with the original one piece wheel pant design and I need to take a closer look at them for clearance.

Thanks,
Tom

Thanks Ron,

I had done a search the other day and have read those threads. Alot of good information on the subject.

I had noticed reading the threads, that some folks with RV-7's and RV-9's, had clearance problems with the retreads. Since I have an older RV-4, I am curious if any people with the same model have run into a problem with clearance?

Thanks again,
Tom

I put one of the Dessers on my RV-4 a few months ago. The clearance was tight in a couple of places, but 30 minutes with a Dremel was enough to give me back a 10mm clearance all around.

Tires

I mounted Dresser's "380" tires on my RV4 and really like the look and performance of the larger tires. I did have to build up a new set of Van's pressure recovery wheel pants.
This may be unrelated to your question - but just a idea to think about!

Dessers 380 retreads

I put the 380 retreads on my plane in an effort to get a smoother ride over grass. They handle the clumpy prairie grass a little better but they are much stiffer on the sidewalls so it's a wash on the vibration. I had to take a die grinder and cutting wheel and cut 1/2" all the way around, I just held a marker 1/2" from the edge and cut away, and then I had the same clearance again. They stick out the bottom a bit more, so maybe there's more frontal area to them? I had gear stiffeners in the form of wood fiberglassed to the gear, which I took off to soften the ride as well. -Tom

Monster Retreads

Hi Tom,
I installed the Dresser 5.00x5 Monster retreads with Leakguard tubes last September. I have short gear with pressure relief pants and had to remove 1/4" front and rear, but nothing from sides. No change in airspeed, but better grass field handling with more ground clearance.
Gene
RV-4
N420F

Monster Retreads

If those tires have softer sidewalls they're probably lighter too, the 380's were a few lbs heavier for sure. Do you have a model number or part number, I don't see them on Desser's catalog, nothing called monster under retreads. Thanks. -Tom

Monster Retread

Tom,
My "path" to Desser Monster 5.00x5's did not transpose completely.
Tire SKU = 500-5 6 ply.rtm
Type "monster retreads desser tire" in Google Search and it will take you to an order form.
Gene

Desser tire clearance

Just put the Desser 5.00-5s on an RV-4 myself. Had to remove the wheel pants for the time being due to rubbing on the inside top. Don't know if dropping the pressure will solve the issue or not. Will find out soon.

I too would like to know if the new pressure wheel pants are worth the gain in airspeed, if any?

Thanx

Dave

Air Hawks

When I first replaced the tires on my RV-4, I started using AirHawks. My airplane has the old style wheel pants and since the AirHawks have a more pronounced edge, it rubbed a hole in the the fiberglass on one side...made the cosmetic repair and readjusted the pant to make it work.

Hi Sid,

Sorry, just saw your reply today.
The most I have ever got out of a set of tires was 200 hours. Most of the time, I get around 120 hours.
I am not working the pattern doing touch and goes.
My tires always wear first on the left main, almost always in a patch area on the inner thread. The remaining thread is always very good. The patch that wears out first is usually six to eight inches long and always on the inner thread. Looks almost like you would bald spot the tire from landing with the brakes on. The right main follows with the inner thread showing wear first with the same bald patch.

Tom

Aero Classic vs Aero Trainers

Guys,

The old style wheelpants are finicky when it comes to tires depending on height. Retreads will rub at the top if you don't raise them slightly. I found on my 4 that the best bet with the one piece pants was the Aero Trainer, rounded style 500X5. Tire Life? The F-16 gets 60 landings out of a set of Good Years, I got about 1 year (150 hours) on my RV4 with Aero Trainer 500's. The 500's lasted longer on my HR2 but 80% of my landings are off pavement.

Super Size that? However, if you like a solid feel, better performance off pavement and bigger footprint, I installed Desser 380X150X5's on my HR2 and my RVX under the Van's PR pants per Steve Sampson's blog. . Additionally, I duplicate the Van's aluminum brackets in .015 Chrome moly steel, much stronger off road. Thanks to Steve, I believe this to be the preferred mod for any RV.

Speed loss? In my HR2 I removed a pair of Sam James pants and 500X5's in lieu of 380's and the Van's PR pants, Team Rocket leg fairings. The HR2 didn't lose one knot at 24 squared, in fact I may have picked up a knot or 2. In the RVX I installed the 380's after using 500X5's and didn't notice any loss either. My friend Ronnie and I blended the lower pant to fair in the hub while still providing 4" of rear clearance in level flight. Ronnies mastery of fiberglass has locally garnered all this "The Ronnie Mod". a must on gravel or rough turf.

Here is a thread: http://www.vansairforce.com/community/showthread.php?t=23360&highlight=bushwheels+HR2

Smokey

Last edited:
Thanks for the info Smokey.

So I take it that I might have a clearance issue with a retread?

Looking through my logs I found that the Condors lasted the shortest time along with the Aero Trainers, about 120 hours or about 100 take offs and landings. My best luck has been with Goodyear II's and Airhawks lasting a little over 200 hours. All operations being off of pavement.

Since I really don't want to get into modification of my one piece pants, I think I will order up some Airhawks again.

This time, I will take the extra effort and time to rotate the tires half way through their estimated lifespan.

I still think it's odd that I always run an isolated worn patch on the inside tread of the left wheel. I could see running the tread down on the inside all around, but it is always localized. Maybe the wheel is out of balance, or the tires are??? Probably a good reason to take a closer look at the wheels.

Tom
1988 RV4

Back